Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Vs. QuakeLive!  (Read 45017 times)
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »

quake live is more evolved
Evolution can only occur on the same codebase. Quake Live is(will be?) a whole new game on a different codebase and will have new bugs, exploits, and other mistakes new codebases have.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »

calling quake live as 'evolved' is an insult. when Quake 2 'evolved' all it got was a ego, doom3 hud, stupid water/particle system hype, and more ego

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 02:23:35 AM »

why should anyone be insulted if i call quake live and evolution of quake 3? it's not like it's an attack on anyone personal. but i can agree that it's not the best term to use when it comes to quake live/quake 3. the new things in quake live i mentioned are more like new features.

i think openarena can learn some things from quake live. new ways to do things that improves the experience without breaking backwards compatibility and crippling game play. it might not be the aim for the project though and first we should try improve on the basic things that can be improved upon.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »

the way i see it quake live is more evolved with friends, stats, matchmaking and online updating.

I read the above as "online dating".

If that were the case, OA would be real in trouble. Cheesy
fractor
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »

quake2reallydevolvedbackintothecesspoolofcrap
now it is overdose
same difference
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »

calling quake live as 'evolved' is an insult. when Quake 2 'evolved' all it got was a ego, doom3 hud, stupid water/particle system hype, and more ego

its funny that you say that Smiley (i know this could end in a ban, but i like danger Tongue)

on topic...
OA just cant compare QL... OA is way out of its league for so many reasons...

One of the best things? balanced games... you always play ppl about your skillz...
other? servers with people...
other? super tested maps...

Geez, id like to see OA succeed, but i dont see that likely...
I dont play QL anymore coz I only have linux right now...
...and maybe is because of that that Im making 2 maps for OA. CTF and domination. I love domination mode from UT, but no server runs it. Sad

when QL is ready for linux i hope not to forget about OA, but... ...well, i will sure be back for v1.0 to check it out in 2015 Wink

PD: I think one of my maps will be ready for b1 testing soon. Maybe within 2 or 3 days Smiley

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »

One of the best things? balanced games... you always play ppl about your skillz...

Techinically, this isnt true because anyone can return back to the training mode and either diliberately play worst in order to play against players who lack skill to make themselves feel better. Its not a true judge of skill since it can be fooled.

I prefer OA over QL because you have complete freedom to do what you please. It promotes knowledge sharing, creativity and innovation. You can make your own customizations such making maps, mods, models, etc. that people will actually use. You cannot get this in QL since everything is given to you. Although the graphics are good in the QL, OA are just fine. Its not about the graphics always but about the gameplay and adaptability.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
schumi_gr
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:02 AM »

Besides the graphics are not so much better in QL, just a small improvement in the engine.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »

other? super tested maps...
==>
It's easy to be a Q3Boy/QLBoy and say "OA sucks, go QL/Q3!!!", but helping out to try to make it better, or at least helping developers/mappers/modellers/etc saying what's wrong and what changes/fixes should be made in the game... that's another story.
We can do better and we probably would if people would be more constructive in their criticism e.g. rather than saying this sucks or that sucks say what sucks about it and suggest improvements.

I'm (very) tired of those "maps/models sucks, period" kind of arguments.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:20:38 AM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »

Techinically, this isnt true because anyone can return back to the training mode and either diliberately play worst in order to play against players who lack skill to make themselves feel better. Its not a true judge of skill since it can be fooled.

I prefer OA over QL because you have complete freedom to do what you please. It promotes knowledge sharing, creativity and innovation. You can make your own customizations such making maps, mods, models, etc. that people will actually use. You cannot get this in QL since everything is given to you. Although the graphics are good in the QL, OA are just fine. Its not about the graphics always but about the gameplay and adaptability.

Technically maybe, but in practice, games tend to be balanced... ive using QL for about 3 months... way more than OA... Owning noobs can be fun for awhile, but then i changed back to my skillz... close matchs are what makes me enjoy the game in practice...

Also about the customizations... OA can compare to Q3A theoretically as u said... but in practice... i play OA A LOT. Besides the problem of cg_allowdownload 1 which we know has no solution... most of the servers are just empty... its ok to have the whole world for you to change... I love the creativity part of the project... i like making maps. I use linux, i love to make my own customizations.... Ill always support OA.... but in practice i think i will join more QL (when is ready for linux) coz it just fun... most OA servers are empty or the one full, with terrible configs... I've been said before in this thread... some1 with a server said, its no point in making the effort to set a server with all kind of options when it ends playing the same basic settings over and over...

I dont care about graphics either... look at me, playing q3 mp... when there is so many options nowadays Tongue

OA sure has his own space on the long run.... where ppl like me can make a map (so q3a has, btw) but i still think OA is way out of QL's league...

Dont understimate QL btw... john carmak just now how to do stuff... probably in a few years they will free the code and OA is taken over by OAL or they allow ppl to run their own servers and stuff...

Anyway this is just pure talking... time will tell....

my 2 cents Smiley

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »

I'm (very) tired of those "maps/models sucks, period" kind of arguments.

Man its not an argument really. Im sorry that you dont like it but thats the way it is... Look who is telling it... i play OA A LOT and maps are awful... we dont need to rely on OA maps but in practice, servers do so... so what can I do to change that? im making 2 maps my own...

id love OA to succeed... I do as i can to make that happen, i tell ppl i know what i play... and im making 2 maps... but we are not gonna win a popularity contest... this maybe free source project, but its pretty closed in mind as only fromhell make the decisions. Im ok with that... but dont think im the one ruining the popularity contest just coz i say it... Tongue

fromhell is ok with that, and so i am... im not for the popularity contest either... being popular has cons and pros... its just if the author dont give a shit about it, i dont know why you ppl want to compete in a league witch is not ours and compare ourselves with them when we are plain different...

And yeah, u like it or not, their default maps are utterly tested and improved... ours not that much...

-------
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:06 AM »

Nice point... yes, most of the maps have their own problems, mine included, I admit, but now I ask you something... WHAT is exactly wrong with OA maps? The way most of these were constructed? I may agree, but most of us, which spent our spare time doing those maps while we could have been doing another thing, aren't professional mappers at all. The layout? Item/weapon placement? Those can be fixed. Remember that fromhell said in the past that doesn't owe anything, everything in this project is spare time work. That and the fact that fromhell isn't the only one here, and most of us, which have content in the project, want them to be improved. And I can continue... In fact, where were you (and many others) when we need you?

Because it's too easy (and IMHO too lazy) to just say "maps are awful and suck, that's all", but you give me the reason while I add "saying what's wrong with our stuff and suggesting ways to fix/change them is another story".

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »

quakelive has a production budget; openarena does not. simple as that.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »

But you _do_ a good job!
I like this game and his community.

THX for your work!
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2009, 03:50:58 PM »

What people said about stats, all q3 games can have ones. I haven't played QL, i'm on linux, but there are bots for q3 games (there is on Urban Terror) (which not only take stats then do many other things) for server, like BigBrothrBot (b3) with combination of XLRStats can store stats in MySQL, so they are viewable from your web browser.

... Am I in desert? ...
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »

gross, packaged software eww
vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »

gross, packaged software eww

XLRStats doesn't actually come in the box, they just made a picture of a box to make it look cooler i guess Cheesy it's donation-ware, from what i see... And it appears that BigBrotherBot is in the same situation, heh..

yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 03:10:38 AM »

This is licence of b3:
License

BigBrotherBot(B3) Copyright© 2005 Michael “ThorN” Thornton

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA

You can donate if you want, they need help, but you can still get it free. Same goes for XLRStats, you can donate, but to download only thing you have to do is to register (which is free)....
XLRstats is a statistics plugin for BigBrotherBot (B3) and it stores all kill-events in a mySQL database. Stats are available in game using the !xlrstats command in chat, but much more can be viewed in the XLRstats webfront!
Is what they say about it.

And there are no boxes, its as vindimy said.

... Am I in desert? ...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: