Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Error: out of level items  (Read 16179 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: October 20, 2011, 05:43:02 PM »

Hi guys!
I'm working on a Q3 map wit Q3Radiant (with the hope of being able to port it to OA, later), but I'm facing a strange problem now.
Any idea about "Error: out of level items" message appearing in console during game, and only if AAS file is present?
I think I have no entities in the "void"...

It seems it is somehow linked to the powerups (quad, haste, etc.). With six of them in my map, the message begins to appear after some theime from match start, when those items spawn for the first time. If I pick-up one of them, the error message disappears after a while, and then comes back when the item spawns again.
With five of them in my map, the message does not appear when those powerups spawn, but I get one and then rocket jump to death (dropping the powerup), the message popups, until when the powerup disappears from where it was dropped.

Any ideas?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »

Maybe a limit for the ammount of power ups?
I know there is a limit for entities and maybe there is also a limit for power ups?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:14:50 AM »

Will give you hints: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php/20579-strange-error-message

Found by googling for:
Error: "out of level items"

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »

Already googled for that, but with not much luck. That page does not specify a sure final explaination.

About the numer of total powerups, the (very small) item_test map from q3min (that obviously isn't mine, but that I attach here considering that its original link is not working anymore) contains all six of them, and does not give the error.

About total number of entities, my map reports:
Total brushes 3883
Total entities 566
Net brush count 3285
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:08:51 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »

You already have 566 entities in your map.
remember that each bullet, player or whatever is also an entity and as soon as you reach the final mark (1024?), you get the probs.
For testing you should remove lets say 100 entities and i guess that your problems will be away.

afaik the max. # of entities is hard coded and couldnĀ“t changed easily. plz correct me if i am wrong.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »

Strangely enough, I don't know exactly how I've got so many entities... but to be honest, I would need to add much more. I still have to add all location names, and I have too few player spawn points at the moment. Plus, I planned to add some more rooms, that would require more lights, items, buttons and jump-pads.

D'oh!

But if it would be so easy to get to the limits (my map is large, but there are some larger around), I would think this error should have been more documented over the internet...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »

Excuse me guys, can you tell me how many entities do you have in your biggest maps?

I just checked in the q3dm7sample map, that comes together with Q3Radiant... it has got 3332 brushes, 590 entities, net brush count 2669. While having less brushes than mine, it has got some more entities!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:12:25 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »

This is a technical snafu or mapping question

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »

Just wondering... is it possible to take a look to the source code and find out what situations could trigger that error message?

I don't have a svn software installed, and I can't find a "search" feature on the web interface of the repository.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »

The source code wouldn't be there. Look in the OAX repository.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 01:35:18 AM »

Uhm... if I try the search, it returns "Search query flow failed". :-/

Do I miss something?

Even without restricting the search to OAX only, the search fails too...
Strange... if I search for "out of level" instead of "out of level items", the search (on global google code) works...
http://www.google.com/codesearch#search/&q=%22out%20of%20level%22&type=cs (but it does not seem to include OAX in the results)

And there is a "cleanquake3" project that contains it (as well as some other idTech3 - ioquake3 derived projects)...
Anyway, I'm not a C programmer and I don't understand how that "AllocLevelItem" function here works exactly. E.g. there is an "if (!li)"... but where is the other argument of the "if"? Does it mean "if li is null"? But before that, there is a "levelitem_t *li"... does it multiply a variable for a value that may be null? In that case, would it be like multiplying by 0 (returning 0) or would return an error?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:24:59 AM by Gig » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 02:31:25 AM »

Ungh. Pointer-arithmetics.

The function you pointed checks if all level items have already positioned within the memory and if it runs out of memory from that heap, print out the message.

Yeah, you guessed it right, if(!li) means if li=0, run this code down otherwise skip it, but levelitem_t *li means totally different. It means to define li as a pointer toward a levelitem_t struct (object if you got used to OOP).

I checked only that function, so don't ask me why or where should that be run, but there is a comment in the previous one, which says that the heap is enough big to contain 256 items, but not more than that.

It indeed sounds like not an issue with brushes/entities and such but with placed objects/items, like health shards, weapons and stuff like that.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »

Uhm... I'm using a BSPC.exe that I found with a mapping tutorial.
Is it possible that newer versions of BSPC exist?
Mine is (seen launching it without arguments) "BSPC version 2.0, Jun 21 2000 16:12:44 by Mr Elusive"

I was wondering... how is it possible that OpenArena maps still use the same bspc of Q3A, considering that in OA bots have to know about more kinds of map elements and gametypes?

About bots... why does in OAX the file svn/trunk/code/botlib/be_ai_goal.c (that probably whould have contaied the error message, seeing other id tech 3 derived svns) not exist at all? No .c files exist in that directory (while exist those with .h extension, like this: http://code.google.com/p/oax/source/browse/trunk/code/botlib/be_ai_goal.h)

Another question: what is the "Doom3LightRadius: failed to parse default light radius" error in GTK Radiant console (when opening a map)? Doom3? When it asks for the game, I select Quake3/TA...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:45:20 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »

Compiling from this source?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »

Is it possible that newer versions of BSPC exist?
Mine is (seen launching it without arguments) "BSPC version 2.0, Jun 21 2000 16:12:44 by Mr Elusive"
I have created my own version with larger limits but it is a rather annoying program to compile. If you do not hit a limit while building then you do not need a newer bspc.
I see that Neon_Knight just mentioned a better source to compile from. Maybe I might try again someday to see if I can compile without moving to an old 32 bit machine first. 

I was wondering... how is it possible that OpenArena maps still use the same bspc of Q3A, considering that in OA bots have to know about more kinds of map elements and gametypes?
BSPC generates area information so that the bots can nevigate the map. But BSPC cannot see the difference between a light, a rocket launcher or an elimination_blue_spawnpoint

About bots... why does in OAX the file svn/trunk/code/botlib/be_ai_goal.c (that probably whould have contaied the error message, seeing other id tech 3 derived svns) not exist at all? No .c files exist in that directory (while exist those with .h extension, like this: http://code.google.com/p/oax/source/browse/trunk/code/botlib/be_ai_goal.h)
This file is part of the engine. OAX only has the files that belongs to the game logic. ioquake3 moved the gamelogic part of the bot into the code/game folder (ai_*).
The engine plans the bots route but the gamelogic tells what items to find, items to ignore, players to kill, short term and long term goals.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »

I still can't find that "out of level items" error...

I don't see *goal* files in /trunk/code/game/ folder...

I fear I'm not able to compile that bspc you linked... if someone could provide a win32 executable...

-----------------
Another strange thing... compiling the map (created with q3radiant) with gtkradiant, it signaled some items (that I added to the map months a long before beginning to have that "out of level items" error) as "leaked", while they were inside the map. (UPDATE: When I compiled the map with gtk, it messed up the passage -a cave cylinder digged with csgsubstract, that connect two rooms- that contained them, making some of its brushes look transparent... A tproblem that does not happen with Q3Radiant).

And any suggetion about the strange (maybe light-related) message I mentioned in the post above?

Or any idea about " MAX_TW_VERTS (12) exceeded" error?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:25:16 PM by Gig » Logged

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »

Or any idea about " MAX_TW_VERTS (12) exceeded" error?

irc i had this error because of too many curves.
in god_2fort i had archways - replacing them with simple doorframes fixed this.

it seems, that your first map is some kind of "overkill". maybe you should start with a more easy one Wink

anyway: if you like, i could take a look on it. just provide the map file via pm or maybe give us a dl here.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 01:54:43 AM »

Probably I'm near to the limit of curves. When creating the AAS, it gave me an error about bevels (I don't remember the extact text now). I used a good number of bevels and columns in some parts of the map... I removed four columns I added for last, and that error is not shown anymore. I will remove some other columns.

This is a quite large map because probably will be my first and last one... I'm going to have ever less spare time, so I will be not able to do more maps and I've put as many ideas as I could (with my limited mapping knowledge) to this one, until I got that "out of level items" error...

Maybe in the next days/weeks I will pm you a preview of it, for debugging purposes (don't expect an high quality/detail map, as I told, I'm a noob). Anyway, when it's done, I will release it under GPLv2... maybe someone could take some good things from it and transform it into a better looking and playable map.

More, if it turns out that I will have to remove many items to fix the "out of level items" error, I fear I would have to use global light instead of light sources (now they are something about 200)... causing the map to look more "flat"... :-(

I still have to add many spawn points, and location names... do'h! And I planned to add some models at the end, to make it look better... do they count as items? (Also considering that I have to surrond them with player_clip or similar).

PS: Seeing that compiling it with GTKRadiant instead of Q3Radiant seems to cause it encounter more problems than less, I fear I could not be able to do the OpenArena conversion of it.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:08:20 AM by Gig » Logged

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 05:56:16 AM »

somewhere i read, that mapping is some kind of avoiding the bottlenecks of the tools Wink
wise words, because with every project you get new problems...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: