Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Elimination Map mlca1  (Read 39888 times)
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »

I wanted to ask to the creator of the mlca1 map...

no point in asking. the author is gone and lost. you will have to do it yourself or ask someone capable.

but its all available, do what you like with it Smiley http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2990.msg30313#msg30313

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »

I have no idea of where to start...

I suppose that the page that Neon Knight was talking about is DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing]this... Using this method, I suppose I should remove some items to replace them with the "domination" points, but I would prefer to add them instead of replace some other item. I suppose that with this method it would not be possible (or extremely hard) to add a new "point" that isn't yet inside the map, or add the location names...

About the entities, it seems it is possible to add them from scratch (the page says "Make an entity at the end of the file..."), but how to figure out here to place them using the coordinates? I have no idea of where the coordinates will place my entity...

From DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes]this page I guess that the needed are entities called "domination_point", and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping#Limiting_items_to_certain_gametypes]here I found how to make some items appear only in a certain gametype... but I still do not have the knowledge to do something.

If the original author of the map is not available, for some reason, I hope someone else may help me... It is really a nice map, and it is a shame to have it incomplete...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:28:14 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »

Ingame you can use the command viewpos. That way you can get the coordinates you need.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »

Ingame you can use the command viewpos. That way you can get the coordinates you need.
This is a good tip. Just added it to the Wiki page.

I'm trying to follow the guide, but now I need "q3map2" and "bspc"... Are they part of GTK Radiant?
I just did a rapid look to this:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configure_GTK_under_windows
and this:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configure_GTK_Radiant_under_Windows

But I'm quite confused... what's the link between the Radiant and the SVN?

Anyway, these are the three points that I would add to the mlca1.ent file
{
"classname" "domination_point"
"message" "Main room"
"origin" "-1173 -128 50"
"gametype" "dom"
}
{
"message" "Red armor"
"origin" "1278 1 50"
"gametype" "dom"
}
{
"message" "Upper point"
"origin" "-377 -9 570"
"gametype" "dom"
}
just for a test...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:25:06 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »

The SVN has the files needed to create/edit OA .map files in the tools folder.

And yes, both q3map2 and bspc are part of GTKRadiant.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »

Trying to understand how DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing]this procedure fits with the GPLv2 world of OpenArena (including SVN).

To respect the GPLv2 one has to give the map itself (the .bsp), plus the source file (the .map), right? I suppose both of them will be stored in the svn repository, in different locations.
Thus, if someone wants to do changes to an OpenArena map, he should take the .map, change it and re-comple it, right?

But now, let's put the "Entities-only editing" in the process. From what I understand, with this process one creates a temporary file (the .ent) that will be used by a compiler to re-compile the .bsp, without touching the original .map. Right? But this will mean that there will be a "misalignment" between the .map file (that in theory should be available for everyone to continue the work on the map from where it is) and the .bsp file (that contains different entities). If someone would take the .map file and continue from there, he would completely wipe out all the updates done with the "entities-only editing". Right?

What should one do to assure consistency to the maps in the svn? One should include the original .map, the new .bsp and the new .ent file, to allow a future user to edit the map file, re-compile it and then re-apply the entity changes again? It seems a little hard...

----------------------
Some other things...
- The beginning of the page talks about "This avoids recompiling the entire map", but then the "howto" section talks about "q3map2" and "bspc"... I don't know how they work, but they seem compilers.. aren't they? Does this mean that the map needs to be re-compiled anyway, but with "faster" options than usual or what? Where can I find the "usual" compiling commands?
- I'm not sure if, after such modifies have been done, there is or not the need (or if not needed but suggested) to re-create (update or what, I don't know... I don't know how to do it) the aas file? The "howto" simply says "Run bspc with the following commandline: -reach yourmap.bsp. If the .aas file is present, it will only change the item reachings."... but I don't know what this means. Bspc is what creates the aas files, and has always to be used after the entities update?
- Another "help" that may be useful in that page would be how to update the ".arena" script to have the map shown for the new gametype one may want.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »

All of that could be solved by editing the .map file and *still* doing an entity only compile without doing any ent file, I guess.

It was a long time ago since I've tried that, and I can't remember if that worked or not.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2011, 08:05:40 AM »

Cause of the "entities-only editing" seems to be not very comfortable to respect the GPLv2...
I'd really like to edit the map in the editor and then re-comple it.

I've learned a bit of Q3Radiant (I'm working on a map in my spare time) and I think I should be capable to add the needed entities for the new gametypes using an editor.
But I need an hand to setup GTK Radiant or NetRadiant for OpenArena under Windows.... could please someone update these pages?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configure_GTK_under_Windows
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configure_GTK_Radiant_under_Windows
(or create the help pages about netradiant)?
Thank you!

PS: Why is MLCA1 listed in the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Unofficial_OpenArena_Maps]Unofficial OpenArena Maps page?
I thought that this post plus this one, together, would have made the map official...

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »

I'm not a mapper, so I won't take that chance, but maybe this topic is what you need for NetRadiant, Gig.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2722.0

I remember that when I tried following the mapping tuts, this worked with NetRadiant.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011, 08:30:08 AM »

Cause of the "entities-only editing" seems to be not very comfortable to respect the GPLv2...
I'd really like to edit the map in the editor and then re-comple it.

I've learned a bit of Q3Radiant (I'm working on a map in my spare time) and I think I should be capable to add the needed entities for the new gametypes using an editor.
But I need an hand to setup GTK Radiant or NetRadiant for OpenArena under Windows.... could please someone update these pages?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configure_GTK_under_Windows
(or create the help pages about netradiant)?
Thank you!

PS: Why is MLCA1 listed in the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Unofficial_OpenArena_Maps]Unofficial OpenArena Maps page?
I thought that this post plus this one, together, would have made the map official...
I've found a way to make the whole "entity-only editing" compliant with GPLv2.

You have to get the .map and .bsp files first. You do the edits on the .map file, and you also must remember what things you've edited as well. Then, create the .ent file as descripted in the Entities-only editing guide. Do the changes looking at the entities you've edited (remembering both the entity file and the value of the origin property will work) by looking at the .map file into an editor. As a hint, Radiant places the newly inserted entities at the bottom of the file.

EDIT: I didn't know as well why fromhell didn't commited it. :S

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »

... by looking at the .map file into an editor....

Meaning a text editor, right?
In short, one should make the entities-only editing in both map and bsp, or something similar?
Well, if it is a correct way, could you please write it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Entities-only_editing]there?

Excuse me, but the only profit is to save some compiling time from the .map to the .bsp?

PS: I'd like to configure a Radiant anyway, because adding some domination points to this particular map is not the only thing I'd like to do to contribute to OpenArena...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 09:01:18 AM »

Yep, a text editor, like Notepad++ or GEdit.

I've discovered this yesterday, it's a hard way, but at least it's compliant with GPLv2.

EDIT: Done. Check the "Some advices" section. My english isn't perfect, so you may be rewording some stuff.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »

Seems good enough. Thank you!  Smiley

I did DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Entities-only_editing&action=historysubmit&diff=8308&oldid=8303]this small modify. Is that ok? Since .map files are text files, too... I suppose it should be possible to edit them as text, right?
Obviously, it is easier to use the Radiant, but let's suppose that who uses entities-only editing may not want to use an editor for some reason.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »

Yep, but the idea is to use the .map files as reference.

MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »

I decided not to renew 6r-clan.org for now so dash9 re-uploaded meisterlampe maps to the new location http://nyen.eu/maps/meisterlampe-oa_maps.7z
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »

Thanks miow.
Mirroring it here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/maps/meisterlampe-oa_maps.7z

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: