Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying features in OA..  (Read 8048 times)
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »

I have noticed some annoying features in OA that I believe should change.

The most annoying feature is that the is no way to filter bots effectively. Personally I refuse to play bots. I'd rather jump around on the map until someone joins. An since 90% of the (especially CTF) servers have bots it's annoying to: join-oh bots-quit-join-well what do we have here??-bots-quit etc until you find a playable server. And the feature "Only humans" could be useful if it didn't scroll all the way up as soon as you checked it. But better yet: Don't show server that has bots! I would check that without a blink.

Another annoying feature is in tourney. You join the game. Wait several rounds until your next. Then they change map. And if you don't do "Start -> Join game" you can wait there forever. Bugs me a lot.

A third annoying feature is that the different mods don't start autoexec.cfg. Only the first mod you start (usually plain OA). And if you then go -> 1v1 it's gonna load your 1v1/q3config.cfg but NOT your autoexec.cfg. And if you have graphical settings in your autoexec it doesn't matter if you /exec autoexec.cfg. It'll tell you: "BLABLABLA requires a restart" (or such)

Well, that's my two cents...

Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »

A third annoying feature is that the different mods don't start autoexec.cfg. Only the first mod you start (usually plain OA). And if you then go -> 1v1 it's gonna load your 1v1/q3config.cfg but NOT your autoexec.cfg. And if you have graphical settings in your autoexec it doesn't matter if you /exec autoexec.cfg. It'll tell you: "BLABLABLA requires a restart" (or such)

There's a command vid_restart to restart the video settings, so you can type /vid_restart whenever needed or put vid_restart at the end of your autoexec.cfg to automatically restart the video settings.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:05:29 AM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:27:08 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:19:40 AM »

That qtracker sure look nice if it werent for: that you have to par for it. And that it's for Windoze. But maybe a prog like that is what I need.

Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:08:34 AM »

That qtracker sure look nice if it werent for: that you have to par for it. And that it's for Windoze. But maybe a prog like that is what I need.
xqf is open source and included in Debian/Ubuntu. It does not include OpenArena by default but it is relatively easy to change the Quake 3 Arena entry to display OpenArena servers instead and launch a different binary.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »

Ok. Thanks! I modified the master server so that it now reads dpmaster and it seems to work, but not very good. I get about 15 servers altogether (whereas several are empty). Also I can't launch OA from XQF. I tells me that there's no baseq3 dir, of course, since it's named baseoa. I can't find a variable to change neither. So the only thing I really did was to change the master server address.

One more thing... In Tremolous it shows the Variable: "Bots:       NUM" instread of having to read the player list.
Implementable?

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 05:30:53 PM »

I don't have that problem. Remember to change protocol to 71. And look at the settings to change fs_game - it can be a something worth looking at.

... for some reason I have to kill xqf to close it but it is properly just me

There are nothing offending in my posts.
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »

I found the option to check or uncheck fs_game. I left it unchecked. I'll look for the option to set it to 71. Thanks.

But regarding the basedir. I really can't find anything to change it.

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: