Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need input for Openarena configuration manager  (Read 10450 times)
vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« on: April 05, 2009, 05:37:53 PM »

Hey fromhell and others,

I am collecting project requirements for the Openarena configuration manager that you've outlined here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2409.0

I am currently at the point of listing the most general functionalities:

0.   Start page: launch game, visit website, check for updated version, view copyright/license.
1.   Learn about and configure the basic game settings.
2.   Learn about and configure the advanced game settings (tweaks).
3.   View, add, and delete available maps and mods for the game.
4.   Learn about and configure settings for each installed mod, similarly to items 1 and 2.
5.   View, add, and delete favorite servers for the game.
6.   Import configuration files from outside sources.

If you have anything to add or change, please reply to me by midnight PST today as I'll be submitting it for review by that deadline. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:29:47 PM by vindimy » Logged

Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »

Here's the competition: http://www.linuxgames.com/xqf/index.shtml
vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »

Not really competition Cheesy They aim to support as many games as they could, all on Linux platform... I'd like to develop Openarena-centered (or maybe ioquake3-centered) tool with priority for Windows (sorry, that's what people are using). Also, the project doesn't even mention ioquake3/Openarena and hasn't been developed since 2006.

What you say, Case, if I use C++'s QT and Boost and such, will I have a chance for easy porting of the code to Linux and OS X?

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:02:34 AM »

with priority for Windows (sorry, that's what people are using)
http://stats.download.tuxfamily.org/awstats.pl?config=openarena&framename=mainright#os
So, we could suppose 7 players on 10 run Windows, it's not that bad Wink
OpenArena is quite friendly with free softwares and Unix, would be sad to design a tool for it which isn't, but I understand you prefer to develop for Windows if this is what you use Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:01:54 AM »

but I understand you prefer to develop for Windows if this is what you use Wink

I'd actually prefer to develop for Unix/Linux... But, I'm thinking that majority of new users would come from Windows camp, and they're probably the ones that are less tech-savvy...
However, if the tool is designed right, it should have no problem running on either OS...

Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »

easy porting of the code to Linux and OS X?
IDK about OSX but ya it should be very easy to port to Linux. You might want to look at higher level languages such as Ruby so that it'll be even more cross-platform.
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »

So, we could suppose 7 players on 10 run Windows, it's not that bad
Those 7 are running Firefox on Linux, they just changed their User-Agents ;P
vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:09:52 PM »

fromhell,

i don't know what to make of you not replying - are you agreeing, or just busy, or not agreeing and prefer to ignore? Cheesy i am not just hypothethising about this little project but will actually start work on it this week - along with ~4-8 other people... we'll see how far we can take it - but your feedback is crucial to not making this a time wasted.

the project is 1-2 days away from being approved by the group, and if it is, the work will start immediately.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:39:14 AM by vindimy » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: