Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: triggering trigger_hurt... does not work as expected... bug?  (Read 11585 times)
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« on: April 09, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »

Im trying to trigger some trigger_hurt... to do that i created a trigger_multipe and set target =hurt. then I created the trigger_hurt i set targetname=hurt (thats how all the triggers work)... targetname is not in the list of "keys" in the entity menu as other triggerable stuff tho, I dont know why...

The trigger_hurt have a flag to start_off...

In the entity notes you can read...
"Triggering a trigger_hurt will have no effect if the START_OFF spawnflag is not set. A trigger_hurt always starts on in the game."

The thing is... it doesnt matter if you set the flag on or off... the trigger_hurt hurts all the time... Sad is it a bug? or cant it be triggerable at all and turn the damage off...

hope some1 can help Smiley

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »

What do you want to do with that trigger_hurt and trigger_multiple? Some kind of fog of death?
Take a look at these two links, they maybe can help you:

http://www.leveldk.co.uk/tut4.htm
http://www.leveldk.co.uk/tut10.htm

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »

i want a zone to hurt if some1 shoot  some button... ill read the tuts to see if i can work it out...

In the begining I wanted some platform in the air to go from here --> ----  turn into this --> | (turn from horizontal to vertical 90ยบ when some button is pushed) but i didnt find the entities to do that... so ill try to make work this hurt system that may work just as well Smiley

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »

trigger_hurt has no targetname property. check http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/Q3Entities/ for convenience.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:03:01 AM »

trigger_hurt has no targetname property. check
No that isn't it, since all entities can store a targetname etc (see 'struct gentity_s' in code/game/g_local.h)

The START_OFF problem is a bug.  The SP_trigger_hurt function (code/game/g_trigger.c) is supposed to not link itself into the entity list when START_OFF is given, however the call to trap_SetBrushModel implicitly does an SV_LinkEntity at the end.  Hence the START_OFF flag is busted.

Assuming that was fixed, there is also an undocumented flag (bitmask value 2 aka bit "1") which needs to be set to allow the trigger_hurt to be triggerable.

Oh yeah... the trigger is a toggle, turn on if it was off and vice versa.  I guess if you wanted a button that made the hurt only last a few seconds, then you'd need more magic Smiley
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 06:06:36 AM by andrewj » Logged
bill-----
Half-Nub

Cakes 8

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:28:55 AM »

Maybe something like the crusher (with a lower hurt value :-)) in
"The Very End of You"/q3-tourney6, or the lava trap in "The Frag Pipe"/q2dm3?

If the brush is invisible and doesn't WEAP_CLIP ...
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:19:04 PM »

trigger_hurt has no targetname property. check
No that isn't it, since all entities can store a targetname etc (see 'struct gentity_s' in code/game/g_local.h)

The START_OFF problem is a bug.  The SP_trigger_hurt function (code/game/g_trigger.c) is supposed to not link itself into the entity list when START_OFF is given, however the call to trap_SetBrushModel implicitly does an SV_LinkEntity at the end.  Hence the START_OFF flag is busted.

Assuming that was fixed, there is also an undocumented flag (bitmask value 2 aka bit "1") which needs to be set to allow the trigger_hurt to be triggerable.

Oh yeah... the trigger is a toggle, turn on if it was off and vice versa.  I guess if you wanted a button that made the hurt only last a few seconds, then you'd need more magic Smiley

So is a bug, isn't it? It says like you can, but the key is not in the documentation, besides start_off does nothing. I wanted the trigger to hurt while the button is shoot... i guess is not possible to do that...

Maybe with some little elevator of 1 unit... when the button is press, it goes down 1 unit so the trigger hurts, and when it goes up 1 unit the trigger_hurt is covered so no damage.... Smiley a little work around that may work...

-------
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »

There are some things which can't be done on a Q3 level.

http://cardigan.planetquake.gamespy.com/tips_topmappingtips.html

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:17:17 AM »

There are some things which can't be done on a Q3 level.

"Quake 3 cannot do 'toggle' doors or switches. For example, you cannot have a button which toggles the open / shut state of a door (one press opens, the next press closes and so on)"

i guess thats what you meant... ill play with tiggers a little more... im sure ill figure out some work around by trial and error Wink

I thinking about removing that platform to make the map more enjoyable anyway... Smiley

-------
seeeker
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »

set the spawnflag to 2, it will be triggerable.
Notes: It will start on, if you want it off, you can trigger it as soon as it spawns with a trigger_always.
=)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: