Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginners Q3 modelling guides?  (Read 9153 times)
baconfish
« on: December 24, 2006, 05:03:37 PM »

Hi

I've got a little experience with modelling in Blender3D, and I've already made some weapon models for a game I plan to make in my spare time (and a character model as well, but I seriously need practice in that area). Anyways, I'd be interested in doing some modelling for OpenArena, but I've never tried any Q3 editing.

Can anybody link me to some good beginner guides? I understand that there probably won't be many tutorials for Blender, but I'd prefer that it's not heavily specific to whatever other tool. I mean I can model, texture, animate, and use an export script, but what do I need to know to make Q3 engine specific stuff?
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:08:58 PM »

i'm in a similar situation to baconfish, trying to model quake3 models on blender and i've been googling for tutorials with mixed success. it would be great if some of the more experienced people on this forum could share some links to sites that they found useful when they were learning.
tisnix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 01:43:57 PM »

some related stuff Smiley
http://www.workspace-unlimited.org/beelden/documents/CreatingQuakeIII_Player.pdf
Chaduke
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »

Check out 3Dbuzz.com  They have free video tutorials on using radiant. 

They also have video tutorials on making a Quake3 model with Caligari gamespace.  That product runs for about 300 bucks but they have a free learning version that lets you make models up to 650 polys.

Even if you don't use or plan on using Gamespace, it is still really helpful to watch the videos because they take you through the entire process of modelling a character for the Q3 engine. 

Here's a link to Paul Steed's book for 3DS Max, the guy who created the original Q3 models:

http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=wwpub&Product_Code=155622088x

I've skimmed through the book at the store in the past and it seems pretty complete.  He talks a lot about modelling for the Q3 engine and why things are setup the way they are.

Haven't checked these out personally, but their seems to be lots of info here:

http://www.quake3bits.com/htm/tutorials.htm

They appear to be Blender oriented.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 09:42:11 AM by Chaduke » Logged
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 11:52:56 AM »

hello chaduke,

nice links, thanks for that.

the book looks interesting. if i'm going to do quake3 models then it makes sense to take advice from a guy who did it for a living. i don't use 3ds max, but there must be a lot of advice that applies to all software.

white haired boy

***update***

i've just been to my local bookshop and ordered paul steed's book. they had to order it from england (i'm currently in the republic of ireland) and it might take up to 10 days.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:56:20 PM by white haired boy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: