Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Map  (Read 7635 times)
J-Roldan
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 20, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »

Hi
This is a map i just finished. It is my first one so there are many things yet to be learned. I made two versions one with the Quake 3 logo and this one with the Open Arena logo since that is the game i have spend the most time lately. The map is small with simple shapes. Made with Quark 6.6.2.0 and textures made with Photoshop (any). Bots have to be loaded manually. Have been loking arround on many forums and have not found a solution yet. Any comments or ideas are welcome so i can improve and make the next one better.
Some screenshots

http://www.filedropper.com/oamap
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »

You have a "scrips" folder instead of a "scripts" folder on your pk3. I didn't checked out the .arena file.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »

I checked and that's the only problem. Also, a suggestion... Use Grunt, Sarge or Major as basic bots if you'd like to be cross-game. They're the only bots which both games contain...

Gameplay review:

You said it's your first one. Pretty good start. I started with -2, actually, then I got blasted by a BFG... by my custom Brawl bot, who is stupid. Ah, never mind, he had enough time to get that BFG while I didn't find out that that hole isn't an eye-candy...

The Regen's idea is good and I consider this map as a nice King of the Hill. Although some places should be lighter, for example, the Regen room and the teleporter exit, oh, and I think you should change the BFG to Nailgun or something, because it seems a bit unbalanced for me... (I think this map would be just a race for the BFG).

And an interesting addition: Bots didn't find the Regen-hole in the wall...

Keep up.

EDIT: 2nd play additions. You put that elevator and that room you showed on the third screenshot to a great place. It took me almost the entire game to find it.

And nice to have a Machinegun spawning point Wink
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:42:41 PM by Graion Dilach » Logged

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »

Looks and feels like a big cardbox. Some of the walkways are too narrow, the elevator is too slow and the item placement is worth rethinking. At the moment if you grab the BFG and stay were it spawns it's like being the bloody nightmare of every dollhouse. And of course it's not difficult to keep everyone away.

On the other hand it's a good start for your first map. Everything looks a bit like you were playing around to see what you can get.

I'm looking forward to your next map. Basic stuff: Try to create massive architecture and buildings and not just walls.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
J-Roldan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »

Hi
Thank you all for your comments and i agree. I went back to the map and started to work on a few changes. Hopefully will come with a better version soon. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: