Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: some suggestions for openarena  (Read 213754 times)
jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »

I know why you listed those above. Wink

I was under the impression using a dark coloured . or ' etc. as a name can be used to purposely make a player's name less visible on the opponent's screen, and thought this made it a valid option to include on your list.

Ops .... sry .. I've totally missed the sense of your proposal  Sad

anyway , u are right : at this point we could add that a name can't be shorter than 4 chars ( or more ) to the list.

and still about players' nicks with a single char : I've seen enough OA players named with . or ' , but I don't really know if those are a single player ... and since I've seen those nicks also in Q3 and often the nick changes while playing and/or connecting ( eg for first the mex ". connected " appears , and then the mex "<other_nick> entered the game" ) , I have the suspect that those come with a particular config or a cheat ( and I mean a bot ).

if your name is different in one mod and you start off in another when connecting to a server (baseoa to say N) the name in  the starting one seems to show while connecting.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2009, 08:05:29 AM »

... and often the nick changes while playing and/or connecting ( eg for first the mex ". connected " appears , and then the mex "<other_nick> entered the game" ) ...

if your name is different in one mod and you start off in another when connecting to a server (baseoa to say N) the name in  the starting one seems to show while connecting.

1. I know that the config is reloaded when starting a mod or a different fs_game is set , because a mod dir/different fs_game path has its own config and there's also a bugreport on ioquake3 buglist for this with a request for changing this behaviour.
2. U should really quote the correct part which is interested by your reply
3. I've talked about single chars nicks seen in OA and also in Q3 , which I suspect are generated by a cheat or a particular config.
chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2009, 01:22:48 AM »

-Added a hitsoundfeature, nothing to do with chat-macros. Do you think there is an audience for that?

I just noticed Quake Live's new cg_HitBeep variable is similar to this. Maybe there is an audience for your hitsound feature.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:15:35 AM by chaoticsoldier » Logged

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »

Maybe it could be useful having some name restrictions ( at least we can have those ones not as permanent/hardcoded , but toggable by a serverside CVAR )

- UnnamedPlayer is not allowed : if a player join with this default nick , the server will assign him/her a temp nick ( player1 , player2 ... )
- All is not allowed
- InGame duplicate names are not allowed.
- empty names are not allowed.
- Extended ASCII chars are not allowed.

I've seen a custom ioq3 based Quake 3 server which implements all this restrictions with the exception of the Extended ASCII char use : the server automatically puts on spec players joining with a name not allowed , it spams a mex console message like "UnnamedPlayer is not allowed. Pick a name or u will be kicked in <tot> seconds" ... if the players don't change their nick they are kicked.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2009, 09:50:36 AM »

I've made a quick check on the QL forum , maybe too late for the next OA release .... anyway , there were in particular 2 fixes that should be applied also to OA :

* cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed have been cheat protected to their default values. ( 140 )

This will make many lame scripts like rj and cj scripts , completely dumb ( eg : seta rjump "centerview;cl_pitchspeed 9999000;+lookdown; +attack;+moveup;wait 2;-lookdown;-attack;-moveup;wait 4;centerview;cl_pitchspeed 140" )

* Fixed splash damage so that it will no longer pass through floors

This bug is present in Q3 since ever , so also OA is affected : you can clearly notice it in oa_dm1 when there are rocket or grenade spammers over the gate and the room of MH or in oa_dm6 in the spawn room near the YA or in the spawn room near the RA.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »

* cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed have been cheat protected to their default values. ( 140 )

This will make many lame scripts like rj and cj scripts , completely dumb ( eg : seta rjump "centerview;cl_pitchspeed 9999000;+lookdown; +attack;+moveup;wait 2;-lookdown;-attack;-moveup;wait 4;centerview;cl_pitchspeed 140" )

Oh Oh Oh ... a new reply is required instead of an EDIT : declaring cl_yawspeed and cl_pitchspeed cheat protected to the default value will stop working an INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF SCRIPTS like also STRAFE SCRIPTS , QUICK 180 DEGREES TURNING SCRIPTS and SOME KIND OF AIMING SCRIPT ( don't ask me which ones because I don't really know any : the news come from an "external" expert ... LOL )

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »

Another interesting ioquake3 commit which was wished also by some OA players : http://svn.icculus.org/quake3?view=rev&revision=1743 ( Use cg_drawWeapon 2/3 to make weapon left-handed/centered ).
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »

if your name is different in one mod and you start off in another when connecting to a server (baseoa to say N) the name in  the starting one seems to show while connecting.

1. I know that the config is reloaded when starting a mod or a different fs_game is set , because a mod dir/different fs_game path has its own config and there's also a bugreport on ioquake3 buglist for this with a request for changing this behaviour.

The config pollution bug when switching between mods was fixed in ioquake3 rev1745
- http://icculus.org/pipermail/quake3-bugzilla/2009-November/001350.html

Anyway the commit has introduced other significant changes : http://icculus.org/pipermail/quake3-commits/2009-November/001662.html
Airwolf
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2009, 11:27:14 PM »

Would it be possible to add better support to OA for demos?, regarding playback mostly.

For example having demo Play/Pause, Fast Forward, Rewind, Search Bar features when playing back demos? And also NOT having OA exit to main menu when pressing ANY key while playing back a demo but maybe just ESC instead? Being in the middle of a lengthy demo and pressing a key by mistake is extremely frustrating.
schlorri
i lurk the board index every minute!!!!
Lesser Nub

Cakes -51

« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »

Hey,

here is my first step to redo the oa-hud(sorry im slow).I've redone my weaponbars and this is what it looks like:

-removed std weaponbar, its not up-to-date anymore imo. some ppl may miss it, but it will not last for long!
-removed gauntlet
-removed backcolor for a better view
-removed the ammobars, looked silly imo and it was not faster...but the idea is great, i will think about a better way to do that
-3 styles(left mid right)

i hope you like it

schlorri

-Join #aftershock in quakenet
-Visit the statspage http://oaunofficial.exulo.de/index.php
-Visit us on sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/as-fps/
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »

-removed gauntlet
-removed the ammobars, looked silly imo and it was not faster...but the idea is great, i will think about a better way to do that
- Without the gauntlet I cannot see if I have the gauntlet selected... major problem if I have cg_drawGun 0
- I prefer the weapon bars. I use them all the time.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »

Hey,

here is my first step to redo the oa-hud(sorry im slow).I've redone my weaponbars and this is what it looks like:

-removed std weaponbar, its not up-to-date anymore imo. some ppl may miss it, but it will not last for long!
-removed gauntlet
-removed backcolor for a better view
-3 styles(left mid right)

i hope you like it

schlorri

Good job ... but it would be better if it would be scalable in height and width as in CPMA hud. Anyway really good job :-)

Edit : I agree with sago about gauntlet ... it should be there too .

This is the CPMA hud I've used in OA
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 11:32:54 AM by Falkland » Logged
schlorri
Lesser Nub

Cakes -51

« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2009, 11:43:21 AM »

Ah...im not ready yet Smiley, selected weapon will be shown in hud(ammoicon).
I will think about a solution for the ammo-bars, but the bars look bad... maybe color the numbers? red->almost empty, yellow->one ammobox+, white->two ammoboxes+
I can make the bars scaleable BUT there will be new cvars Sad

schlorri

Edit: like in your hud Falkland! you can see gaunt if selected!

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »

Anyway mine is just a hud example ... in CPMA all the info bars are fully customizable ( size, position, font, font color, background ... etc ) but it uses a dedicated system ( no cvar dependent - just create a hud file with the appropriate syntax , place in cpma/hud dir and load it trough the cvar ch_file ) .

OSP style weapon bar already gives more space on the screen and more space could be obtained by modifing a bit ( or a lot ) the other bars ;-)

IMHO as I said it's just a good improvement as it is now :-)
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »

If I'm right the TA menu system can handle the HUD aswell. Maybe we should spare the size/color/position cvars and do the more customizable HUD with the new menu.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »

If I'm right the TA menu system can handle the HUD aswell. Maybe we should spare the size/color/position cvars and do the more customizable HUD with the new menu.

The problem with TA and OSP hud is mainly that both have introduced _more_ cvars .

CPMA Hud is customizable with a different system which does not spam the config with lots of cvars : http://www.promode.org/wiki/index.php/Custom_HUDs

Fortunately the CPMA screen object and Hud parser is implemented also in another opensource program : http://plrf.org/superhudeditor/ ;-)
schlorri
Lesser Nub

Cakes -51

« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »

Here is the next step:

-deathnotice
-Chat (split now Smiley )
-new hud
-timer centered (woooow Cheesy )

i think this hud is more up to date! The deathmsg is fast to read and you dont have to scroll down the console to read chat anymore!

I really hope you like it, the old hud is annoying Smiley

schlorri

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »

I can make the bars scaleable BUT there will be new cvars Sad
Cvars are not evil and in newer engines the number of allowed Cvars have been significantly increased: 16k -> 128k

There is one more reason I want the gauntlet: The gauntlet being available is not given in all gametypes... instantgib comes both with gauntlet on and off.

I personally don't like the ammo count in the middle.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »

What about the Grapple? It'll appear in the bar as well?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
schlorri
Lesser Nub

Cakes -51

« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2009, 05:37:29 AM »

-Ok then we need something like superhud, because many ppl personaly dont like uncentered ammo-count Smiley. I know cvars are not evil, but a custom hud will spam the config as hell. I will try to read this superhud stuff, would be a great improvement!
-I removed the gauntlet because it works great in ql, but i can add it again.
-Grapple? Ive not changed anything there, i think sago007 removed it?

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »

This is my current regular CPMA HUD cfg , an evolution of the previous one ... as you can see little more tuned info bars with more free space on the screen.

If we could have something like SuperHUD in OA , it will be a great improvement for sure ;-)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »

-Grapple? Ive not changed anything there, i think sago007 removed it?
I have not moved it... but moved it to weapon 0 to prevent it form getting auto selected then a weapon runs dry. To not actually change the bind (to prevent changing cvars and thereby breaking something) the move is a hack.

jackthompson
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »

Hello,

I'am not too lazy too make some suggestions too Cheesy

1) a acoustic speedmeter (volume or pitch)
2) CTF mode where 1 match has 2 rounds and where sides are switched (for asymetric maps)
3) fullscreen console (that 0.5 float could just be put on a cvar)
4) everything noghost has
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »

2) CTF mode where 1 match has 2 rounds and where sides are switched (for asymetric maps)

Nice one jt ... this will make CTF matches more fair and equal also on symmetric map ... something like Bomb Mode in UrT.

3) fullscreen console (that 0.5 float could just be put on a cvar)

dfengine has introduced con_height for this feature : default is con_height 0.5 ( half screen console ) , 1 for full screen console. There are also 2 new cvars for defining console transparency and color .

con_opacity ( 1 for no transparency )
con_rgb ( define console color through red , green , blue weight )

The latest and global dfengine patch ( diff against q3 1.32b ) is available here : http://q3defrag.org/files/dfengine/src/dfengine_1.07.diff
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2009, 09:51:10 AM »

this could make for some interesting maps and different game play. see the exceptional stopwatch mode in rtcw.

one team sets a time as attackers by capturing the flag once (or more) and when that has been accomplished the teams switches between attackers/defenders. now the attacking team has to beat the set time to win the round.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: