Poll
Question: Do you mostly like new versions of maps
yes - 11 (64.7%)
no - 6 (35.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is everyone making mapv2's??  (Read 22900 times)
RMF

Cakes 12

« on: July 12, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »

I noted some new version of oasago2, ps37ctf, dm4ish, and some space map (oa_ctf2 or something, not sure). But to be honest I don't like any of the new versions. Ok the gfx are better, but if you care about graphics get a nVidia tesla gpu and go play crysis.
Also the maps are larger (exept oasago), while the old versions were large enough for 15 players or more. Now the open spaces are larger so it's not suitable for more players, and the distances are longer.

What do you think?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

I wouldn't say they are that large. 10 players are okay for oasago2, and oa_ctf2.

I don't like that much retexturization made on oa_ctf2 (oa_ctf2old is still available) and ps37ctf.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »

Mostly they are updates, and part of updates are the changelog. Changelog always feature new things. And if you don't like them, don't use them. Nobody force you. Actually, most servers don't use the most updated versions (most of them are pure), so where's the problem? It's not the Soviet Russia, where you MUST do things. You can DECIDE.

Actually, I'm happy that there are updates. The only update which I didn't like was dm4ish, although now I consider it a new map and not an update. Yes, Neon Knight decided to upscale the maps, but I don't feel that they became worser because of it.

And what about with the maximalists? I don't have money to build a power plant at home, so I'd like to use up all the good-looking bit of this PC as possible. And Crysis isn't that good as OA.

And if you really don't like to use them, even if they will became official, extract a backup from an older version and put them in a custom pk3. Nobody would harm you because of this.

This post don't try to be harmful or arrogant, just the writer's native isn't English.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »

Incredible... first the whining about the lack of big maps, then when we make big maps they whine about the size of the maps... hell, they never conform with nothing... U_U

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
feidi
Nub

Cakes 13

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »

You know, those updates are actually called improvements. Usually tested and approved by players. Thanks.

6lue Rose .:. http://6r-clan.org .:. irc://irc.freenode.net/6r
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »

Oh, wait, I've read something which I must reply...

Ok the gfx are better, but if you care about graphics get a nVidia tesla gpu and go play crysis.
So... accordingly to you, we must make maps with flat colors as textures like Warsow has? I hope that I'm wrong... but if that's the case... my answer is a big & huge

NO

Smiley

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:16:35 PM »

Yeah what the hell?! Go back to quake you void4 fanboy!!1

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 03:11:24 AM »

RMF: Instead of complaining in general, go testing any of these new map versions and provide helpful thoughts to the mapper in this forum.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 05:47:52 AM »

Chill, I think he just gave a bit awkwardly his opinion Wink
Constructive criticism is always welcome ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
tuppe666
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:12:24 AM »

Wow :0, I'm so surprised by this topic even existed. I know criticism[sic], and negative comments, are part and parcel of a successful project like OA . I find this topic difficult for two reasons. The first being there are in this very sub-forum a large number of new maps not yet included in a official release of OA. One of the reasons why I'm desperate for a alpha/beta/final release now. The second and more important reason is that this is the major advantage of OA over Stagnant Gaming. The Levels can be changed...those changes do not always bring improvements, but I suspect the regressions will be outweighed heavily by the improvements.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 08:26:33 AM »

Incredible... first the whining about the lack of big maps, then when we make big maps they whine about the size of the maps... hell, they never conform with nothing... U_U

Well ... u have interpreted the lacking of big maps as " expanding the old map size "
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »

RMF: Instead of complaining in general, go testing any of these new map versions and provide helpful thoughts to the mapper in this forum.
Agree 100%. It's easy to criticize, but helping is another thing, seemingly...

EDIT: One mre, and gtg:

Chill, I think he just gave a bit awkwardly his opinion Wink
Constructive criticism is always welcome ...
From my humble POV:

"Maps are awful, crap ass garbage. Period." => Non constructive criticism. I hate this one. Example 1 - Example 2 ("cos base maps are awful" but doesn't say what's the punctual problem with the maps)
"I think there's a problem X with the map, and can be fixed by doing X, Y and/or Z." => Constructive criticism. I like this one. Example 1 - Example 2 (Another example I got is in the chat, where I receive lots of suggestions about my maps, thanks guys. Smiley)

Most people do the first rather than the second.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:57:50 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »

Nobody force you.
The server you're playing on does. And spectating or leaving is even less fun.

But it aren't only updates, also entire remakes of the map with other walls, platforms and shapes.

So... accordingly to you, we must make maps with flat colors as textures like Warsow has? I hope that I'm wrong..
I don't know warsow, but I meant that you shouldn't make updates just for graphics or a nicer look. Gameplay is far more important (i think).

btw you are mostly complaining about my post, instead of replying to where I made the topic for ("What do you think?" about the new maps). I would rather hear what you like about the newer maps, or don't like about it.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »

True: Just increasing the scale of a map does not help. It even disturbs the gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:05:31 PM by cosmo » Logged

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »

I've haven't had time to try the other maps, except the ones I've been modifying...

From peoples post on those Threads. They seem positive. So on that note, I'm happy. Smiley
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »

I don't know warsow, but I meant that you shouldn't make updates just for graphics or a nicer look. Gameplay is far more important (i think).

Actually it is not a good idea just scaling a map up. On the other hand you mention gameplay: What would you like to see improved?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 01:51:36 AM »

The problem with scaling up, is that it removes some vertical action and makes the players feel like dwarfs.  This is not comfortable.

I actually scale DOWN my new maps Tongue

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 02:38:48 AM »

As I know, only q3dm6ish and oa_dm5 were scaled up, so it's not a trend you should worry about Smiley. By q3dm6ish I was the one who asked Neon Knight to scale the map up, and I think it helped the map a lot. The B3 version still needs some polishing, but since it's a Q3 ripoff, we can substitute it with other maps, improving it is not that essential. OA_DM5v2 is again a perfectly made map. It's cool to have some big and open maps, we should keep it scaled up since the other Q1 remakes (dm1, dm4, dm6) are small and fast, not every map needs to be like that.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »

You forgot dm4ishv2. Cheesy
I need to work a bit more on it. I like how it looks now.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »

You forgot dm4ishv2. Cheesy

Yeah, I totally skipped that version :$. I'm downloading your mappack now, it promises a lot of fun in the evening Smiley.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:16 PM »

Yeah, I have to go back to studies in these next months, but I promise I'll be back again. ^^
(I'll stay on the forums, anyway)

kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 04:25:33 AM »

The problem with scaling up, is that it removes some vertical action and makes the players feel like dwarfs.  This is not comfortable.

I actually scale DOWN my new maps Tongue

Not bad, but still not good enough. I prefer to stretch or shear them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: