Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: -dirty  (Read 7537 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: August 13, 2009, 02:04:20 AM »

Ever play with that q3map2 compiling switch for lighting? I think it looks kind of neat.

Basically, it shades those corners and edges in the dark to appear even darker, giving more volume into the lighting. Unreal and Deus Ex use this alot.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Giuseppe
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:23:16 AM »

From wikibooks

-dirty

Enables ambient occlusion or "dirtmapping".
Basically, less-visible areas (such as nooks and crannies, cracks and crevices) will become darker.
This simulates a dirty, grimy effect.

and also there is

-dark

Enables darkening of lightmaps at brush/lightmap seams.
Sort of like a half-assed occlusion pass, ends up looking a bit Unreal 1-ish. Very subtle.

I used sometimes -dirty but i prefer no dirty, but sure is a personal preference Smiley
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »

Neon_Knight and I used it in almost every map although it depends on the map and its theme. oa_koth2 for example uses both, ctf_compromise only -dirt (plus -dirtdepth and -dirtmode and -dirtscale) because -dark had a negative effect on phong shaded surfaces (the sand).

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »

-dark is one of the switches I always use. Almost all of my maps are set on the night. I didn't used -dirty.
Learning the goodness of func_grouping brushes helped me too to fix some stuff, like the pit glitches on am_galmevish2. Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: