Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Computers Behind a Router  (Read 11448 times)
Scoopdl
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 23, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »

Hello all. I'm having an issue when I try to join an internet game with multiple computers behind my router.

Any computer that enters a game has no issues, but whenever I try to connect a second computer to the same game server, the first compter freezes and the second stops on the awaiting gamestate screen.

I found a fix for an earlier version of OA which required adding info to q3config.cfg, but I'm running .80 on XP and do not believe that file exists in .80

How can I change settings so that all of us can play from behind my router?
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »

How can I change settings so that all of us can play from behind my router?

In the latest ioquake3 revision , this problem is solved .
Anyway for oa080 u should set a different value for net_qport cvar in the q3config.cfg of each client

eg

q3config.cfg of the client number 1
Code:
seta net_qport 10000

q3config.cfg of the client number 2
Code:
seta net_qport 10001

q3config.cfg of the client number 3
Code:
seta net_qport 10002
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:26:25 PM by Falkland » Logged
Scoopdl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:19:06 PM »

I'm having a hard time finding the q3config.cfg file. I typed in the wrong OA version. I'm using 0.8.1.

Where can I find the .cfg file to resolve this issue? And what do you mean by "the latest ioquake3 revision?"

Thanks.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »

And what do you mean by "the latest ioquake3 revision?"
Binaries in the thread http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1933.0 has a workaround for your router's problem.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »

I'm having a hard time finding the q3config.cfg file. I typed in the wrong OA version. I'm using 0.8.1.

Where can I find the .cfg file to resolve this issue? And what do you mean by "the latest ioquake3 revision?"

Thanks.

You will have to show your hidden folders first. Then go into your C:/document&settings/(username)/application data/openarena/baseoa/

This is where all the magic happens. All your maps, demos, screenshots, and config files are stored.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »

Where can I find the .cfg file to resolve this issue?

as HITMAN stated the correct location in WinXP is C:/document&settings/(username)/application data/openarena/baseoa/ ,

C:\Users\<username>\application data\openarena\baseoa  or C:\Users\<username>\appdata\openarena\baseoa in Vista ( I didn't remember exactly )

$HOME/.openarena/baseoa for linux and other *nix

/Library/Application Support/OpenArena/baseoa for MacOSX

And what do you mean by "the latest ioquake3 revision?"

It's(was) an engine bug ( https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3999) that usually occurs(occurred) when the router is a one-to-one NAT ( as a paradox , the best choice for forwarding a server ) : it was fixed in this ioquake3 commit : http://svn.icculus.org/quake3?view=rev&revision=1506

initialize qport with random value instead of time

here the code diff : http://svn.icculus.org/quake3/trunk/code/qcommon/common.c?r1=1472&r2=1506&pathrev=1506 (  the comment inserted in the new code should explain things )

The bug occurs(occurred) because the generator for net_qport value has(had) the tendence of generating the same value in each client and the one-to-one-NAT tries to map the same client ports on the same router port, so producing both client to go in stall.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:29:09 AM by Falkland » Logged
Scoopdl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »

Great. I love this game and the techs who play. Everyone is more than willing to help. I'll try changing the code around and post my results.

Cheers
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »

which server do you play on? I play mainly in Captuer the Flag in the Nemesis server. You should check it out. Some of the top players of OA play there.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Scoopdl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 06:20:02 PM »

I usually play CTF and look for a server with a few humans in it (not bots). I've played on Nemesis before.

And YES!!!! Thanks a million. I found the q3config.cfg file, pasted

<code>
seta net_port 32000
seta net_port6 32000
seta net_qport 32001
</code>

into the file, and oh yeah, we could join with our second compter.

Thanks a million folks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: