Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lack of leagues/ladders and teams  (Read 11559 times)
chwz
Nub

Cakes -2

« on: August 29, 2009, 02:20:29 PM »

Ive just recently discovered open arena and at the moment cant stop playing it.  Im originally a quakeworld player for about 10 years and never moved onto much else.  I now play quakelive from time to time but i keep finding myself coming back to play oa.  its a faster game thanks to better weapon damage etc, and all those oldskool quakeworld maps just make it have that feel which is missing from quakelive.  I noticed not many people on the tdm servers, and after looking for info on clans etc for open arena there isnt that much. I found the open arena league page but nothing much seems to be happening.  Its a real shame with classic tdm maps like dm3 etc not to see them played at a good level in open arena.  So much so that im semi thinking of knocking a site up as a ffa or 2v2 league to see how many players will sign up.  Ideally 4on4 is what id like but would imagine it may be hard to get many teams.  So my thinking is run a ffa league and have players get to know one another, and maybe in future can hook up as a team.  Or the other option is to run a 2v2/4v4 league with open signups, and all players will be randomly put with one another.  Which i think would work best to get a decent amount of people, but obviously the people already clanned may not be happy.  Im not sure exactly how to do this if i do, so im open to ideas but i realise theres quite a few people on this forum and surely thats good enough to run a league with a few divisions?.  Maybe also contact servers owners to display a welcome message in the server with a url to the league.  I know some people may prefer playing ctf, and running a tdm and also a seperate ctf league seems unlikely giving the number of players, so maybe something combined. What do people think?
rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »

Hey man welcome to OA.  I dont really know anyone who plays tdm, so idk if that will work out or not.  There have been around half a dozen ctf tourneys attempted in the 1-2 years I have played OA.  Only a few went on to completion.

I like your idea of random teams as the clans in OA are usually too large to let all of their players into matches, but it really wouldnt be much different than just playing pubs.  I would suggest that if there is a Pool Play before the tourney, the teams should be able to play anyone they want to in a 2 week period, but can only play each team once.  Have an IRC where teams would look for matches, and after the 2 weeks the teams are ranked by their total wins.  Then give the top 1 or 2 teams a bye first round if possible as a reward for being active in the tourney.

You dont have to use any of my ideas.  I am just suggesting from previous experiences. Good Luck with your league.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
chwz
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:10:37 AM »

Hi, a pool play would be good, but i think it would be different than playing in pubs because people who are paired up with one another will play all their games together, practice together etc.  I see it more of a league where so many teams enter, and have a set game with another team each week.  Everyone plays each other once or twice over the 'season', ideally playing 1 game per week, arranging games whenever both teams are available (through irc etc). I've knocked up a quick website, which might help people  envision this more. its at http://chewz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Everything is open to suggestion, and everything can change.  I have no logo or real name yet its just a basic layout
feidi
Nub

Cakes 13

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:37:17 AM »

Why not team up with the people on #oaleague in QuakeNet? If you can code PHP/HTML/CSS your help would greatly be appreciated.

6lue Rose .:. http://6r-clan.org .:. irc://irc.freenode.net/6r
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »

I was thinking of some basic place for clans to signup as official openarena clan, and a world cup (both at individually and clan-level, and with the 3 mostplayed mods or something). But I don't think I've got enough skill and time to put it all together. Also I don't have people who could help me with it, maybe one but I doubt if he can help me enough (we got different ideas about good web design). And then the hosting problem; I don't want to spend money on it, and even if I would I can't (can't pay online). And most free hosts are either unreliable, trial periods, bad services or don't support any server side thing.
Who knows I'll do it in the future, but for now I'll wait what chewz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk will do Smiley
(weird address btw)
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »

like feidi said, we already had some leagues and one is still halfway in the making.... but ... it is a sleeping beauty, like openarena itself.

there's the fundamental problem, that tournament friendly features are missing in OA  (speclock in clanarena), and crucial bugs are not fixed (announcer voice is sometimes missing in CTF, so no one notices the flag is gone), and wont be fixed in the next version it seems.

so we either have to use a mod (eeeh, well mods always feel different to normal OA, everyone had to re-learn and adjust), or have very strict rules, very reliable supervisors and admins + clans that don't start whining on every unexpected railshot from an enemy side.

facing these problems, the project slowed down and is only worked on occasionally. with YOUR help, it might wake up again Wink

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:32:58 AM »

what's speclock? Lock players to spectating and not joining?
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:22 AM »

Well said, PopeJo. Cheesy

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
feidi
Nub

Cakes 13

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 08:10:31 AM »

what's speclock? Lock players to spectating and not joining?

Speclock means that after dying the players of red team can only spectate their alive teammates in 1st person (no free fly), for example. Moreover, it should be possible to invite spectators as coaches, which would have same kind of behaviour for the coach of the red team, for example.

Another feature I've requested many times is timeouts, which would enhance competitive play, and do no harm to regular public play.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:44:12 PM »

that sucks like hell. If servers enable that I won't play there
(seen it once in CSsource)
feidi
Nub

Cakes 13

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »

Are you talking about timeouts RMF? It's not meant for publics, that's the whole point. We've suggested a cvar like g_challengemode to turn these features on and off depending on the server type.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »

I mean waiting for the next round when you got shot and no free spectating sucks.. I almost never play other games because it's usually more waiting than in OA, here's just fragging flagging and dying without waiting times and it owns. You can even go faster than originally set (strafejumping) and jump high (rj) which speeds up the gameplay to almost coninuous action. Couldn't be better.. so when i read you want something like waiting times I say no.
But if it's only meant as something optional for special matches of course you can do whatever you like Wink
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »

it's meant for matches between clans. it's not really needed in public matches.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: