Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena enhanced mod?  (Read 42150 times)
Kylratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 01:01:28 AM »

Two sides with multiple classes. Players gain the "power" or "mana" of others by killing them - Highlander-esque. Each player has three skills that drain the power that they acquire. Without skills, a 1 on 1 duel takes 2-3 times longer than one in DM.

Multiple object schemes that are simple. CTF / theft variant. King of the hill variant. Etc.

It was the basis for a mod I had in Q2 that never left public beta status (Q3 came out and people lost interest). It had a decent following when it was around, though. It had a Futuristic Nordic Mythology theme that I thought was kind of neat. Each class represented a clan that followed a specific god. Odinists, Frigg / Freya worshipers, etc.

Just putting an idea out there...

-- Roy 'Kylratix' Laurie
http://www.binarycult.com
Ferk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 02:23:27 AM »

Code:
/*  This program may be freely redistributed under the condition that the    */
/*    copyright notices (including this entire header and the copyright      */
/*    notice printed when the `-h' switch is selected) are not removed, and  */
/*    no compensation is received.  Private, research, and institutional     */
/*    use is free.  You may distribute modified versions of this code UNDER  */
/*    THE CONDITION THAT THIS CODE AND ANY MODIFICATIONS MADE TO IT IN THE   */
/*    SAME FILE REMAIN UNDER COPYRIGHT OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR, BOTH SOURCE   */
/*    AND OBJECT CODE ARE MADE FREELY AVAILABLE WITHOUT CHARGE, AND CLEAR    */
/*    NOTICE IS GIVEN OF THE MODIFICATIONS.  Distribution of this code as    */
/*    part of a commercial system is permissible ONLY BY DIRECT ARRANGEMENT  */
/*    WITH THE AUTHOR.  (If you are not directly supplying this code to a    */
/*    customer, and you are instead telling them how they can obtain it for  */
/*    free, then you are not required to make any arrangement with me.)      */

Maybe we cannot distribute it under the GPL, but it is still legal to "provide a package with an automated installer that does all the work or make a customize version" as long as we "redistributed under the condition that the copyright notices are not removed, and  no compensation is received".

This "pack" does not have to be part of OpenArena itself.
If it really was wanted to use a "only GPL" editor, then that plugin shouldn't be used for editing in the first place.

We wouldn't be able to distribute the gtkgensurf plugin (Handles terrain) even if it would build as that is clearly incompatible with the GPL (I would assume iD has permission to distribute it).
If it is true that ID gained permision to distribute the whole plugin as GPL (does the download page explicitly say that the sourcecode is GPL without exception?) that would mean that any distributed and derived work is also under GPL. Something like a relicensing.

EDIT: According to (https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant/GtkRadiant/trunk/LICENSE)

Code:
LICENSE ( last update: Wed Feb  8 17:16:40 CST 2006 )
-----------------------------------------------------

There are 3 license types used throughout GtkRadiant source code.

BSD - modified Berkeley Software Distribution license
( each BSD licensed source file starts with the appropriate header )
LGPL - GNU Lesser General Public License v2.1
( see LGPL at the root of the tree )
GPL - GNU General Public License
( see GPL at the root of the tree )

How do I check which license applies to a given part of the source code?

Each source file in the tree comes with a license header which explains what
license applies. To sum up shortly:

GPL: ( except some files contributed by Loki Software under BSD license )
GtkRadiant Core
GtkRadiant Modules
GtkRadiant Libraries
Quake III Tools
Quake II Tools
Background2D Plugin
HydraToolz Plugin

BSD:
JPEG Library
MD5 Library
DDS Library
PicoModel Library
PrtView Plugin

LGPL
BobToolz Plugin
GenSurf Plugin
Does it is LGPL?
I don't know. But inserting this "CC-sa-nc"-ish license in the middle of a GPL-BSD-LGPL work and dont warn it doesn't make much sense.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:08:52 AM by Ferk » Logged

sorry for my english
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 04:52:31 AM »

If it really was wanted to use a "only GPL" editor, then that plugin shouldn't be used for editing in the first place.

but mapping with blender is a PITA, its easier to have the terrain exported to .map then to .ase

The bulk of GtkGensurf was written by D. Hyde of Loki fame and is LGPL (It would have to be because of the extra restriction).
The file I pulled the license header from was part of triangle circa 1996 (The mesh generator used by gtkgensurf).

It would be far easier (And safer legally) to point to GtkRadiant (Or QuArK for that matter) from the wiki and just provide the needed oa.game directory and file in a zip file to be extracted within the gtkradiant config directory and explain QuArK's rather minimal setup requirements.

p.s. triangle is definitely _NOT_ LGPL

Jeric Hikari
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Skeletal Geek

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 01:30:55 PM »

/agree

Also if gtkradiant 1.5 is different from 1.4 it might be good to provide config files for both(assuming both OA and raidant are installed in the default locations).
MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 03:57:21 AM »

*reanimated*
ok, three months have passed and I couldn't find the time to continue the planing stage of OAE. But sometimes stepping away from an idea gives you a more objective view of what is necessary and what's not. And altough I don't have much freetime I'm still very interested in this project.

My first and most important thought after thinking about OAE again was: "We are trying to create a game that has everything - that are too many goals to achieve. We should work in little steps".

This basically means that the project can't focus on new gamemodes (king of the hill, counterstrike etc.). Yes, the longterm goal is to allow an easy flawless integration into the game, but nothing more (yet).

So the steps should be in the following order:
1. get some basic content (mostly done with openarena)
2. modify the game engine to make it more flexible (userfriendly, finding a good way to integrate mods) - THIS should be OAE now
3. create new gamemodes, other new content - this should be OAE mods or conversions of Q3 mods
4. (and maybe later integrated into the main game)

Step 3 and 4 is far fetched and relies heavily on step one and two!
Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of new gamemodes, but OAE shouldn't actually build the new modes - it should build the fertile ground where new, GPLd gamemodes/stuff can (easily) be integrated.

Again, think of it as a linux distribution: You don't actually work on every little program, you just make sure the programs available are working good together and if not adjust them a bit.

Next, we should distinguish between Developers, Gamers and people who run servers. How can we make the game better for these groups?

The two big things that need attention first are game code (how the game manages options) and user interface(s) (let the user access the options in a comfortable way).
As you can see the work that needs to be done differs from the work for OA (content creation - coding).

Actually I'm not very familiar with programming Quake3 but I know the basics of C and as we have to work with the game and not the (highly complex) graphics engine coding should be a realistic goal.

cheers
MilesTeg

"We are all connected"
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »

Actually I'm not very familiar with programming Quake3 but I know the basics of C and as we have to work with the game and not the (highly complex) graphics engine coding should be a realistic goal.

there are a lot of benefits to concentrating on the game code instead of the graphics engine code. since the game code goes into the platform independant qvms you can avoid all the hassle of compiling stuff for multiple architectures.

if you're not planning to alter the graphics engine then OAE can be run as an openarena mod to start with. the advantage of this is that there wouldn't be a hefty download for people who wanted to try it out. they'd just download the mod's pk3s into a folder next to baseoa and select it from the mod menu.

something i'd love to see added to the game is climbing. it's something that i've seen in a lot of quake3 mods and it would be great to have it in OAE. jumppads are fun, but ladders/drainpipes etc would be better if a mapper wanted to do a realistically styled map. i imagine it wouldn't be too complex to code.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »

Like the ladder in dm4ish?

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 01:04:34 PM »

damn, i missed that.   :-)

i've just played that map and the ladder is ok for going up, but there doesn't seem to be a way to go down it. pressing crouch doesn't do anything and pressing the move back key just make you step back off the ladder and fall to the ground. i guess that type of ladder is ok for quake3 style gameplay, where you charge around the whole time and slowly climbing down a ladder will get you killed.

at least ladders exist in the code and can be tweaked if need be. that'll be easier than starting from scratch.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »

That isn't coded into the game, that is just the clip step trick.

kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 01:52:42 AM »

i briefly read the thread.
your plans seem to want OAe to be a stand-alone game, not a mod.
i'm sorry but i think this is a bad idea (if it is a stand-alone game)

i just have a hunch.
MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 06:59:49 AM »

actually I'm not yet sure what the best way is, but it will definitely start as a mod project for OA.

edit: concerning ladders: I just got a look at the q3 and q2 code of pmove (player movement) and they are pretty similiar. I think I will try to adapt the q2-code. While I am at it I will try to add a conveyor belt functionality, but no promises as I'm still a noob when it comes to quake programming Tongue
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 02:41:32 AM by MilesTeg » Logged

"We are all connected"
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 06:08:07 PM »

You should also look at increasing the max number of vertexes that can be used in a given group.  The md3 format allows 4096 vertexes per group but the engine and q3map2 are limited to 1000.

It's a fairly easy hack of both the engine and q3map2 to allow more detail in any given model.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2007, 06:04:35 PM »

This mod should inspire a bit. A cgame.qvm that adds nifty particles and crap without touching the game.qvm/ui.qvm

http://crypt.planetquake.gamespy.com/effectsmod.htm

fileplanet though :x

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »

I found an old tutorial about adding particles effect to QII. I don't know if QIII particles codes are compatible with QII one, but I hope it will be useful.Azn   
http://www.submarine.org.uk/tutorials/engine.php
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2007, 11:14:54 PM »

Kills tried to add tremulous' particle systems to cgame and ran into annoying traps that prevent the cgame particles stay cgame only :/

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: