Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GIMP resynthesizer  (Read 13567 times)
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« on: March 26, 2010, 06:32:44 AM »

I found a link on identi.ca showing an awesome plugin for GIMP. I thought I give it a try making textures for OpenArena.

When I want to make a seamless tiling texture from a photo I do the following: desaturize (getting rid of color changes), paint over the light and dark spots with a brush (getting rid of light changes), copy a wide part of the edge to the opposite site and use the clone tool or the smudge tool for seamless tiling and copy back the part where it belongs. It takes a long time, the resynthesizer plugin is much faster, but the result is different.

Here's the original picture I want to make a texture from. It's a pole not a flat surface, so it needs adjustments.

Here are the two textures. The manual processing took an hour, the resynthesizer took 1 minute and it still has the colors.

Here are the textures taken in game. Both are satisfying, but the resynthesizer is more patch like, the manual processing looks more like a unified surface.

The resynthesizer is much faster and probably can be improved with tweaking the parameters.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:11:21 AM »

WHOA I'M NOT USING BERT PEER'S TEXSYNTH ANYMORE THIS IS AWESOME! Getting awesome results with the textures/stone folder.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:24:58 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »

I knew about that plugin, in fact, I've used it for some of my city texture pack.
It's awesome.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »

I had to use this in addition tohugh
http://registry.gimp.org/node/15118

and this
http://gimp.foebud.org/node/24255

This has some very interesting applications like:
- making muzzleflashes fuzzier
- giving human skin pattern to models
- nude patches (heal selection on a sling or micro bikini and you'll see what i mean)
- gun texturing (starting with baked amb occlusion, then texture transfer wood and steel and iron to appropriate areas of gun) maybe i can finally make a grenade launcher that does not suck!

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:13:18 AM »

Not to gravedig, but I decided to try to skin the 0.9.0 Neko model just to see how far I'd get. I texturized some cat fur and just put patches in the skin file. No alignment or warping yet, just that. See attached results.

— VortexHU —
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: