Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone help me?  (Read 7115 times)
Joe
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 04, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »

Just trying to create a game so me and a couple other people can play and when I go to create a game (well I create the game) but no one else can see it? Is there like something special I have to do to make a game that other people can see?
Keet
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic..."

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 07:42:09 PM »

The only two solutions I know, are either to make a Hamachi network, have everyone you're playing join that network, and play a lan game (don't bother with this...it could be laggy, and it's a hassle), or started a dedicated server on internet mode. I haven't seen an option where you can simply just start an internet game like you would with a skirmish mode...I know Quake 4 has it, but I'm not sure about Quake 3. There might be a command for the console or maybe the option is hiding there without notice...but I think the only way you can get others to see your game is by starting a dedicated server (preferably on a separate computer) and joining your own server.

Pronouns are evil!

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic... It sounds... like me!" ~~B.B. Hood

Joe
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 07:51:08 PM »

Oh, ok, so I have another pc I could run the server on but I would I go about making the server?

Thanks.
Keet
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic..."

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 08:28:55 PM »

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/OpenArena/servers

This is a useful link on how to set up your sever...though it does seem to be something for advanced users only. Using this outline requires knowledge on how to use cfg files for Quake 3.

Another method is by opening Open Arena on the computer intended for the server, set up the match options, set the dedicated mode on internet, and launch the server. Once that's done, go to the computer you intend to play on, find your server (or input the IP address), connect, join, and play. Note that you don't have to open the server on a separate computer (you can run the server and play on the server on the same computer), though it's recommended that you set it on a separate computer so the computer you play on doesn't take a beating from the excess ram (OA's dedicated server doesn't take much memory to run, but when running bigger mods like True Combat, Urban Terror, Afterwards, etc. etc., it will take much more memory that you will want to run the server separate from the client)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 08:30:48 PM by Keet » Logged

Pronouns are evil!

"Violent, stingy, schizophrenic... It sounds... like me!" ~~B.B. Hood

Joe
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:54:16 AM »

Thanks. I'll try that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: