Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Punkbuster and programs like it for Open Arena?  (Read 32461 times)
Styx
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »

on my server in tremulous, we have an admin system.  we have enough admins so that one is almost always on, and admins can kick/ban players.  we also have a modified wallhack which admins can use while spectating a player, to see if they have a wallhack on.  we also have our super-secret aimbot detection helper which i may or may not be able to share.
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06:56 AM »

on my server in tremulous, we have an admin system.  we have enough admins so that one is almost always on, and admins can kick/ban players.  we also have a modified wallhack which admins can use while spectating a player, to see if they have a wallhack on.  we also have our super-secret aimbot detection helper which i may or may not be able to share.

Sounds like you guys have it all figured out. I imagine that tremulous has a much bigger community of players than OA. The more dedicated players there are, the more secure a server can be.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »

This is why I think technical measures to prevent cheating are useless, because computers are designed to automatize things, so you can't prevent it from fullfiling its role Wink

Prevention has to deal mainly with the initial design rules of a project ; developers cannot do much after a prototype has become serial/standard and the main holes/limits of the project has revealed themselves. Most of the cheats make use of the software holes and almost of the original design holes.

For example , if you try to play on q3dm17 in both mode VQ3 and CPM against a CPMA bot at level 100 ( which action is really really close to an aimbot - autoshot on opponent spawn , opponent position predict , impossible aim ) you will see how easy the bot hit you/predict your position in VQ3 while if you know enough of air control in CPM , you will see less bot hits over target while you are in air.

A technical measure against cheating like a detect system will not stop cheat development. But it should prevent the use of known cheats.

Another example is about cl_yawspeed/cl_pitchspeed value : both cvars were declared cheat protected and locked to their default value in QL with an update they've made in september.

With this "technical measure" they've stopped the use of RJ , CJ , strafe scripts. You could find a bunch of threads on QL forum about this : many players have stopped their easy attitude of owning mostly in CTF matches with map-tuned RJs.

And a final tought about cheat makers/users : I've read many times here but also elsewhere call them "hackers".

They should be defined CRACKERS because they are not interested to make a software/something else better , but to corrupt/revert/destroying its functionality.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:58:57 AM by Falkland » Logged
Styx
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 06:47:43 PM »

Sounds like you guys have it all figured out. I imagine that tremulous has a much bigger community of players than OA. The more dedicated players there are, the more secure a server can be.

i am not sure about how big the openarena community is (since i'm still somewhat new here) but i think the tremulous community is about the same size.  we have lost a lot of players lately (but hopefully will get more with 1.2)
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »

I think the community was a lot bigger in the past than it is now. The servers I play on have the same people all the time, or the servers are dead.
The amount of people on this forum don't really reflect the players in game, I have never played the majority of the people who post here.
I would blame the slow progress on releases for the decrease in players. Most of the people who play including myself are getting really bored of the same maps and graphics all the time.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »

...  we also have a modified wallhack which admins can use while spectating a player, to see if they have a wallhack on. 

I think this is also available for UrT.

... we also have our super-secret aimbot detection helper which i may or may not be able to share.

Which kind of detection helper ?
Passive detection or active detection ( movement and hits analysis ) or what else ?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: