Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: holdable_portal  (Read 5603 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: November 21, 2009, 10:50:17 AM »

I've downloaded the source code of OAX, and I was checking the file bg_misc.c which has some info about the game's weapon and item entities. Then I've found this:

Code:
/*QUAKED holdable_portal (.3 .3 1) (-16 -16 -16) (16 16 16) suspended
*/
{
"holdable_portal",
"sound/items/holdable.wav",
        { "models/powerups/holdable/porter.md3",
NULL, NULL, NULL},
/* icon */ "icons/portal",
/* pickup */ "Portal",
IT_HOLDABLE,
HI_PORTAL,
/* precache */ "",
/* sounds */ ""
},

I guess this code was part of Q3 Team Arena IIRC. That would explain the presence of the portal icon among it's assets.
But what it does exactly?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »

Done a bit more o' research about this. Seems to be an unfinished item, just like VQ3's Grapple.

I've put OAXb188, with the blueish menu, into a common Q3+Team Arena's installation, (I've used MP directory) and made a test map with just a startpoint and this item.

The model for the pickup is actually modelled in TA, and the item works perfectly, but it lacks the display effect. I took a look a bit to the code, and it seems like it needs the models models/powerups/teleporter/tele_exit.md3 and models/powerups/teleporter/tele_enter.md3. It's actually 2 holdables in one: a source teleporter and a destination one, just like Portal's Portal Gun, but instead of shooting the portals, you place them on the floor as common teleporters. I've also saw that part of the code for it is incomplete. (static void PortalDie in g_misc.c isn't even done yet, so maybe it's true that those portals would last forever, I don't know if it's part of it anyways :S) So...

[TvTropes]
...maybe Portal (and Narbacular Drop to an extent) is (are) the Ur Example (or even the Trope Codifier) for teleportation placing, but this could have been, in fact, Older Than They Think.
[/TvTropes]

Tongue

I can see why it was cut off of TA: a team holding it can use it to go from one base to the other pretty much quickly than by foot, therefore being a Game Breaker item worse then the BFG, Kamikaze and/or the mines. Think about placing the source on the Red Base on oasago2 and the Destination on the Blue base. The red team would be in the enemy base in a far even minor time than with trickjumping! But... since we never saw it in action, we don't know yet. The timing and respawn is the same as the other holdables.

I'll be uploading the screenies later. My pendrive died a few minutes ago, so the screenies are missing. T_T

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:23:09 AM »

EAT THAT VALVE YEA

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: