Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Organized texture motifs  (Read 7282 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: December 20, 2009, 08:19:22 AM »

One of the main problems of OA is that the maps themes are often inconsistent especially for singleplayer, so if there were 'all new textures' i'd like it in a better name than evil_x or so.

File name ideas:
floor1, floor2, trim1, trim2, etc.  would make more sense than 'superduperfloorgratewithbloodonitit'ssupposedtobeafloor05bi.jpg"

floor5_a, the _a would indicate it has an alpha channel (good for making the job of reducing textures easier)

Folder ideas:

oa_atlantic - greekish sea temples similar to those in Elite Force (yes that one)
oa_gothic - oasago2, nuff said!
oa_base - oa_dm3, nuff said!
oa_asia - uhh, oa in asia
oa_urban - even cities can be fun especially for buildings with heights, defrags and batmans
oa_station - like oa_base but more gray, more lights, and more future and less abandoned and all for void levels

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:39:50 AM »

The SVN currently holds 2085 textures, I think a translation list could be written with the current names and with the desired names, then these changes could be written all over the files. I guess it's just a matter of scripting. Files can be renamed, shaders can be edited. Don't know if the maps should be recompiled, or the texturelump names can be edited to the rearranged version. Definitely a task after 0.8.5.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »

Agreed, I forgot about using .shaders to just subsitute these. I also forgot to mention how detail textures would be mandatory for all of them (except for the alpha ones)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
hkn
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »

It a good idea to keep the folders with simplified names, im already using short names (concrete01,concrete02, metal_floor01,metal_floor_env0...) for the textures of the map that i'm modeling (coming soon in "maps" forum Cheesy).

ToDo >> / 1. New map, Greyscale / 2. Mapmodels / 3. New weapons  / 4. In-game music
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: