Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a request  (Read 13812 times)
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« on: December 19, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »

could we decrease the lightning damage from 8 to 6 in the next release?

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

Nope, it's DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]against the policy[/u].

However, I think it's possible to introduce an optional extra damage mode, like the changable physics (fixed 125hz, accurate etc.) to cover such needs. If servers could choose from Q3 or QL damages or Q3 or CPMA physics in one game that would be awesome. Could that be done with OAX?

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Proti
Nub

Cakes -21

HAHAHA I BLANKED MY POSTS. TAKE THAT INTERNET

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »

---PEACEFULLY CENSORED---
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:47:47 PM by Proti » Logged

THERE WAS A REFERRAL LINK HERE.
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 11:54:52 PM »

could you guys  add a command to change lg damage then?

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:50:11 AM »

Maybe we could have different set of damages. It would avoid fantasy settings on every server and would satisfy both oldschool and modern players.
I think it's not bad to get inspired by Quake Live, after all it's a reference we shouldn't ignore.

Edit: misread what Udi said, but that's the same thing Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:16:00 AM by Cacatoes » Logged

Todo: Walk the cat.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:51:07 AM »

What about creating a mod with the "rejected" requests? That's another of the points of OA, anyways.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 08:01:56 AM »

OATK (Oa Toolkit) more or less does these things, changing damage right in the .cfg files.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 09:43:14 AM »

could you guys  add a command to change lg damage then?

Xbattle mod has a server cvar for tuning LG damage and it would be a good idea having that on OA too

g_lightningDamage <n>      - set the damage of the Lightning Gun ( default 8 )

LG damage was decreased on QL and not for sport or because they did not have anything better to do : there are more than a reason for that.

They've first introduced damage at range ( 7hp at low , 6hp at mid , 5hp at high range ) , then tuned to 7 hp ( in reality I think they've mantained the damage at range while setting 7hp for every range - 7 7 7 )

It's a powerfull weapon , it has a limited range ( 768 u ) but it has no recoil/spread , it has a reload time of 50 msec ( that means 20 bolt per seconds = 160 hp of max damage x second ) and unlagged gives the effect of more damage : 8 hp were a reasonable ( by design and by test , I think ) value when network latency was important ( the 56k era ).

A lower value could bring back a bit more of fairness in the game.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »

So many people are complaining about this. I am quiet unsure if unlagged play is so different from LAN play with 0-20 ms of latency. If it is, it changed gameplay and there should be an option for server admins at least to set the damage.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 09:21:42 AM »

i am against a var, then every server could have different settings which makes players having to adjust to the change again and again. Reducing lgdamage in oa completely seems good to me
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 03:50:12 AM »

No...  However, I think it's possible to introduce an optional extra damage mode, like the changable physics (fixed 125hz, accurate etc.) to cover such needs. If servers could choose from Q3 or QL damages or Q3 or CPMA physics in one game that would be awesome. Could that be done with OAX?

i am against a var, then every server could have different settings which makes players having to adjust to the change again and again. Reducing lgdamage in oa completely seems good to me

RMF,

Based on Udi's suggestion, there would only be 3 variables (Q3, QL, or CPMA).  I don't understand why you would be against that?  ofc, you have the right to your opinion but whether you reduce it to 6 or leave it as it at alien ppl will be pissed that it's fixed either way.

Players who despise one or two variables can simply choose not to play at servers that use those variables.  I'll bet the average casual player probably won't care.

But I'm probably very biased as fixed settings are alien to me anyway.  In Excessive Plus these are the options for the Lightning Gun that are set in a Game Style Config (a file that controls weapons, physics, etc.):

Lightning Gun {
   Cycle = xx;
   Damage = xx;
   Knockback = xx;
   Damage = xx;
   Splash Damage = xx;
   Splash Knockback = xx;
   Splash Damage = xx;
   Radius = no | xxx;
   Self Damage = x.x;
   Self Knockback = xx;
   Splash Knockback = xx;
   Firing Knockback = xx;
   Regen = no | yes;
   Ammo = xxx;
   Ammo Limit = xxx;
   Style = no | WPS_IMPACT_PLASMA;
   Bounce = no | yes;
   Sky = no | yes;
   Range = xxx;
   Weight = x.x;
   Firing Weight = x.x;
   Time -> Dropping = x;
   Time -> Raising = x;
   Time -> Ammo = x;
   Time -> Shooting = x;
}

And you can get fancy (even use "if | else statements") with almost any individual option like the one below that modifies the LG damage based on whether the gametype is team based (TDM, CTF, etc) or individual based (1v1 or FFA).:

Damage = ( $g_gametype != GT_TEAM ? 8 : 6 );

I guess this would drive you crazy.  Yet - despite the fact that our servers can be completely different from each other - players, Clans, and our Ranking Committee (in Q3) do settle on just one or two Game Style Configs for ranked wars and tournaments.

So, 3 little variables for LG Damage in baseoa hardly seem worth the fuss to me.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 06:26:39 AM »

Based on Udi's suggestion, there would only be 3 variables (Q3, QL, or CPMA).  I don't understand why you would be against that?
3 options would be allright, but I mean a var where admins can just set the ammount would become pretty messy. Or at least harder to play optimal on every server. You'd have to think of what setting you're on each time you have to choose between lg or some other weapon - i think.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: