Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A server for beginners  (Read 20081 times)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« on: January 19, 2010, 06:41:24 AM »

Following discussions on topics here and there ( http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3474.0 )

I may switch "ROFL games.tuxfamily.org" (actually a DM server) to "ROFL For Beginner Players", it would be :
- a CTF server
- 10 or 12 slots, and 4 private slots which would be reserved for experienced players if they are willing to spectate and help others (you can post here or contact me if you think you can and would do this).
- with easy maps in rotation, such as a few oa_bases, but also ps37ctf, oasago2, pul1ctf and oa_ctf4ish.
- nothing to download, vanilla OA.

If you have suggestions ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »

oa_ctf4ish might be too frustrating for newbies with falling into void and negative scores, oa_bases3,5 with machinegun spam.
IMO ctf_gate1 is relatively better than any of these.

Also, maybe it could be multi-gametype server... just an idea.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »

Hmm i like the idea. Only not sure if experienced players would idle in spec and give players tips. I can help newbs, but i'm not gonna waste spend my time only in spectators helping others have fun instead of me Wink Maybe i could just play, take it easy, and help others while playing.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »

Plus, a spectator giving everyone tips will probably come across as arrogant. Playing and taking it easy is a good idea. Plus the odd tip if it is needed.

I also like the idea of a multi-gametype server . Team games can make one feel more welcome, but teams on public servers rarely provide the cozy feeling one gets when playing in a clan. And not everyone likes CTF. Doesn't the ROFL server already rotate gametypes? I'd leave it.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »

This seems like a great idea to help out new players so they don’t get crushed and a play where there can practice instead of practicing against bots.

Also I know a lot of people love CTF and FFA but there are other mods too and perhaps exposing these beginners to them will want to make other use them on there own server.

On another note I have my worries for this server because of it begin label a beginner server what if a not so nice pro comes in and decides he wants to just crush everyone in there. While most of people on this game are nice and friendly there are still those that are not and who are also very talent at this game and enjoy this type of stuff and I was wonder will there be something in place to help prevent this from happening since the rating system in the other thread has not been put into place yet?
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »

/callvote kick annoying-pro ?

Seriously, it won't be perfect, but as long as it's clear what the server is for, I think most people will behave. There are far more fun servers for pros.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »

Love the idea.

Ironically, I'm in the process of creating a server, to promote helping new players. This server will be a US server. Nothing's complete yet but currently pending. BTW, Where is your server located Caca???

Multi-mode servers are a pain because they are constantly jumping from gametype to another. Once you log into OA, you will have to set the gametype to ALL and scroll thru a billion servers in order to find that server. Most ppl have it set to their favorite gametype (FFA, CTF mainly)

I dont mind "wasting" my time teaching players.

Hitman

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Martian
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:45 PM »

Following discussions on topics here and there ( http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3474.0 )

I may switch "ROFL games.tuxfamily.org" (actually a DM server) to "ROFL For Beginner Players", it would be :
- a CTF server
- 10 or 12 slots, and 4 private slots which would be reserved for experienced players if they are willing to spectate and help others (you can post here or contact me if you think you can and would do this).
- with easy maps in rotation, such as a few oa_bases, but also ps37ctf, oasago2, pul1ctf and oa_ctf4ish.
- nothing to download, vanilla OA.

If you have suggestions ...

My vote for CTF, oa_bases 3 5 7, ps37ctf and pul1ctf . I will help but also play Smiley

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »

I'll try to use bases maps where there are collectable weapon/items.
Eventually I can put the same map several times in one rotation cycle.
I'm unsure for ctf_gate1, mainly because it's a map where you have low visibility (it's better with the new version of it), it's hard to see what's going on, except if you're experienced enough to quickly jump on pillars and switch from one side to another.

I didn't express well, experienced players wouldn't necessary go spec, but I felt like it could be useful to have more slots for them if they want to be here while not squatting a player slot. Also, there are servers which look more friendly when there are a bunch of spectators who can talk.

About pro-players who would want to bash noobs, ask them politely to adapt Cheesy It wouldn't be easy either to know where to draw the line between beginners and better players. Next OA version will also make easier moderation rights.

The server would be located in France. The less lag the better I'd say, so it's good if you can have the same kind of server in the US. Wink
I also agree with having a single gametype, for the reason you mention. It's good if the server can be found easily, otherwise you don't know if it's off or if gametype has changed.
Also, the few attempts I made with multi-game modes were not that successful, but other reasons may explain this failure.

Checking the rest tomorrow Wink

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »

Gate1 is cool, but probably not the best for beginners.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 07:38:18 AM »

It's on Cheesy

http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=212.85.158.133:27981

Rotation is :
ps37ctf
oa_bases5
oasago2
oa_bases7
pul1ctf

I wanted to use oa_bases3plus3 map, but the flags are missing ... that explains why I've never seen it online. That's something that may need a fix for next version.

12 maximum players, and 4 private slots for which I will send passwords (in PM), even if this is not that useful.
I also set g_spskill to 1 to make bots as dumb as possible. bot_minplayers=1.

Martian
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:35 AM »

12 maximum players, and 4 private slots for which I will send passwords (in PM), even if this is not that useful.
I also set g_spskill to 1 to make bots as dumb as possible. bot_minplayers=1.

Very nice Smiley

For bots I would say at last four.  Why? It's a lonely feeling waiting for
players with only one bot. Second, when somebody join, usually join to
human player and now we have two players vs one bot = no challenge.

Let's hope this will work Smiley
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 01:13:22 PM »

I checked it out, and there were a few pros strafejumping around and shooting each other across the map.

Perhaps the nature of the server needs to be more obviously stated? lol
rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »

I like this idea, but I have no idea what I could actually teach beginners.  It really comes down to 3 things Movement, Aim, and Mental game.  I really wouldn't have anything to say about Aim or the Mental game.  The mental game really is something you learn on your own.  I have taught maybe 5 people the concept of strafe jumping, but it took me an hour to explain how its done and another 2 hours or so for them to get the finger work down.  While they learned how to strafe jump, they really didn't understand the mouse angles involved to get good speed.  For the most part they were just hopping without gaining any speed at all unless I had time to fully explain everything at a later time. To actually know how to strafe jump decently takes around 2 months of practice to start out, but since I started playing OA 3 years ago its easy.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »

I'll put more bots on, you're right.

Most of the teaching comes by simply playing, there are also a few tricks, and a few technical points which can be explained.
But you're right, having "teachers" isn't fundamental.

About making it more explicit it is a beginner friendly server,
The server name doesn't display in its whole, because the ingame browser truncates it. Except fixing the name I dont know what else to do. If some there play too seriously then someone may tell them they shouldn't Wink

I'll try to come on it when I have time.

Martian
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 12:20:26 AM »

Ok, who want to help with promotion, put this in q3config.cfg

bind F12 "say join us on server ^6ROFL^7 FOR BEGINNER PLAYERS"

Don't spam servers. Say this only to beginners
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 03:43:31 AM »

Multi-mode servers are a pain because they are constantly jumping from gametype to another. Once you log into OA, you will have to set the gametype to ALL and scroll thru a billion servers in order to find that server. Most ppl have it set to their favorite gametype (FFA, CTF mainly)
Good point Sad Though, more experienced players can add server to favorites, not the case for newbies of course. This would be another nice feature for the game to be able to add servers to favorites directly from server browser.

I wanted to use oa_bases3plus3 map, but the flags are missing ... that explains why I've never seen it online. That's something that may need a fix for next version.
lol, funny map indeed. I also noticed there's classic version of oa_bases3 with another textures Cheesy

Ok, who want to help with promotion, put this in q3config.cfg

bind F12 "say join us on server ^6ROFL^7 FOR BEGINNER PLAYERS"

Don't spam servers. Say this only to beginners

You can also add a line to your forum signature.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »

The server has potential.

I've had a couple of fun games with people who were not n00bs, but who were definitely not pros, and were enjoying it.

Then, at other times, I got my ass kicked by a selection of clan league CTF experts. A number of beginners disconnected as a result.

It will take some work before this is established...
Martian
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »

The server has potential.

It is the only server where nobody loses, because you let them win,
and vice versa.  Smiley

sometimes you let them and sometimes you "let them"  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:27:11 PM by Martian » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: