Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug: Openarena is always dark using 0.8.1 on Ubuntu 10.04  (Read 7362 times)
komputes
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: January 19, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »

When playing openarena in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 (development version) the image is too dark. Nobody has confirmed this bug yet, I would appreciate if someone would be willing to test it. If anyone knows if 0.8.5 resolved this issue, please let me know.

Regulating image brightness from System > Display > Brightness (in-game settings) does not have any effect.

Hardware:
Intel Corporation 82G35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2982] (rev 01)
Kernel driver in use: i915

Originally reported here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openarena/+bug/494278

Lucid comes out in April, and if this bug is present it will be in the LTS (Long Term Support) distribution repositories for the next 3 years.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »

Check the value of "r_ignorehwgamma". This is usually the problem with an all dark screen... it should be correct by default though so maybe the driver en lynx forces it.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
High_Yield
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »

I have seen this when OA or the OS is set to a lower color depth.
Set color to 24 bit (high) and try again.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:59:33 AM »

I also have some weird results with darkness since no so long.

I think it happened after an Xorg upgrade, which also means intel drivers got updated (to the same version, but probably with some changes to make it work with that new Xorg version). They updated Xorg in Debian Testing a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure from which to which version.

So, my problem is OA is too dark, even in game menu (!).
Changing brightness has no effect, even with r_ignorehwgamma 1.

I also had the feeling the game was more fluid than before, but I'm not sure my FPS number really got higher.

When I set color depth to 16 bits, the game comes slow and I have low FPS.
Now I can set 32 bits, with antialiasing (I didn't use it before) and the game runs not so badly, but remains too dark whatever settings I use.

PS: Thanks menga for pointing me to this thread Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:21 PM »

What is your video card Cacatoes?

I had the same problem in Windows XP on a Voodoo 3, gamma not working at all, which also affects how the normal overbrighting works.  Setting r_overBrightBits to 0 will at least make everything not so dark.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: