Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello, new here.. :)  (Read 53972 times)
Baba Owl
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: January 22, 2010, 02:11:23 AM »

Well hello, I like the site and the game very much.

I'm not new to FPSs - I'm quite good at but I still enjoy watching demos, which brings me to the next point - where are the demos??

I used to watch lots of Q3 and QL demos but since I'm playing this - looking for some demos..

I noticed some stuff to poke around to learn here as well - tutorials and such.. so I'll give a look into that too. (I just don't like digging too much).

Well, I haven't gone online yet with this game - I still would like to pass through the "Single Player" part, but I'm up to some games (I love the challenge).. so I'm not really sure how to go about it, but if you see me in the game, throw me a holler. Smiley

Well, l8r and thanks for the game - the community seems great and OA seems to have all the *great* "Quake" elements into it - which is fantastic!!

-Thanks n cyas around. Smiley
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:38:00 AM »

Hiya.

Well, I haven't gone online yet with this game - I still would like to pass through the "Single Player" part, but I'm up to some games (I love the challenge).. so I'm not really sure how to go about it, but if you see me in the game, throw me a holler. Smiley
SP is not really necessary. Not much you can learn playing with bots.

Some locations of demos i know:
http://6r.id-studios.net/demos/
http://superbots.co.cc/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=5
http://valherus.ucoz.com/load
http://www.arena-servers.de/oac.php?in=files
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 04:51:17 AM »

Demos or videos ? Youtube has a few ones too.

Todo: Walk the cat.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »

There is no general place for all openarena demo's afaik. OAchallenge (the lastest tournament) has demo's from some nice matches though Smiley http://oachallenge.webs.com, then somewhere at the new forum post in the sidebar (can't lookup the url and paste here from my phone, sry).

edit: oh i see MIOW already posted the link to where Obama stored the files Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:13:46 AM by RMF » Logged
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »

if you have Facebook, there are two really good videos from Gerbil and Rooster on there. Just search off Openarena and join group.

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Baba Owl
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »

Thanks guys - I actually think the bots are very interesting to play.

They do neat things, play smart, no cheating and even rocket jump.

I'm not sure if it's improved bot code - but they sure are cool to play.

I thought it was some resource somewhere to view demos/ training ..

The game is very fun - had me laughing, it's goofy but it plays good.

I played a lil online this morning 5am Eastern, did not see many people on.. I figured it out later that the bots are the players with 0 ping - but they still showed up after I selected the "only human" server option - hmm.. lol.

I'll play during the day too (see if I catch any of you on) - so far I'm enjoying the new maps n such. Smiley
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 08:48:49 AM »

Honestly, everything they do can be considered as cheating Cheesy Aimbot, auto-shoot and so on.
j/k
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:50:42 AM »

I think you are playing them at level 1 or 2 : try them at nightmare level :-D
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »

what are they like on nightmare anyway( I got my pratice bots set on hardcore) becuase on some maps like the Fan they just run to the middle and fall in. Also is it just me or do some bots seem really good with the rail gun.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »

... Also is it just me or do some bots seem really good with the rail gun.

You are fundamentally correct : every bot has ( or at least should have ) its own "personality" and "aim and tactical ability" : these factors are defined in the pseudo-c like files contained in pak6-misc.pk3/botfiles/bots

As a sample just look at the Major's characteristics :

Code:

// major_c.c : these defines are mostly self-explicative :-)
skill 5
{
CHARACTERISTIC_NAME "Major"
CHARACTERISTIC_GENDER "female"
CHARACTERISTIC_ATTACK_SKILL 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_WEAPONWEIGHTS "bots/major_w.c"
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_SKILL 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_VIEW_FACTOR 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_VIEW_MAXCHANGE 360
CHARACTERISTIC_REACTIONTIME 0.0

CHARACTERISTIC_CROUCHER 0.2
CHARACTERISTIC_JUMPER 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_WALKER 0.0
CHARACTERISTIC_WEAPONJUMPING 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_GRAPPLE_USER 1.0

CHARACTERISTIC_ITEMWEIGHTS "bots/major_i.c"
CHARACTERISTIC_AGGRESSION 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_SELFPRESERVATION 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_VENGEFULNESS 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_CAMPER 0.0

CHARACTERISTIC_EASY_FRAGGER 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_ALERTNESS 1.0

CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_MACHINEGUN 0.9
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_SHOTGUN 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_ROCKETLAUNCHER 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_GRENADELAUNCHER 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_LIGHTNING 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_PLASMAGUN 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_RAILGUN 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_ACCURACY_BFG10K 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_SKILL_ROCKETLAUNCHER 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_SKILL_GRENADELAUNCHER 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_SKILL_PLASMAGUN 1.0
CHARACTERISTIC_AIM_SKILL_BFG10K 1.0

CHARACTERISTIC_FIRETHROTTLE 0.5
}

Code:

// major_w.c : Major's "preferred weapons" . the major number , the highest tendence to search/get/use the correspondant weapon.

#include "inv.h"
//gauntlet
#define GTW 90
//shotgun
#define SGW 290
//machinegun
#define MGW 130
//grenade launcher
#define GLW 175
//rocket launcher
#define RLW 300
//railgun
#define RGW 500
//bfg10k
#define BFW 200
//lightninggun
#define LGW 190
//plasmagun
#define PGW 200
//grapplinghook
#define GRW 50
//prox-launcher
#define PXW 175
//nailgun
#define NGW 200
//chaingun
#define CGW 260

As you can see Major has a high tendence to use RailGun and at skill 5 has an aim factor of 1 and a reaction time of 0.0msec ( insta kill ) : it means that in normal condition ( if you let it easily playing ) it has the tendence to have a 100% of railgun accuracy.

Anyway , the hardest bots to challenge are spiterbots or CPMA bots - they share the same AI code, kinda different by OA/Vanilla Quake3 AI code - which use a different scheme for choosing weapons , have an improved challenge tactics ( they can time items like megahealth and red armor and they are able to predict enemy position while using Rocket Launcher ) and very good movements ( they can do strafe jumps ) and the most important thing , they have 100 difficulty levels .
Baba Owl
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:19:40 AM »

I play on hardcore as well. Smiley

Nightmare seems unrealistically hard - maybe if I naturally get good enough to shoot faster than a bot, I'll go for that mode - but I generally don't like to struggle my ass off just to pass a level, lol.

I have to disagree with the bots being hardest in CPMA mode - to me I can beat them easily, or at least by a comfortable margin - like 12 to 8 - thing is once you figure out their patterns. When I first fought them in CPMA Quake 3 - they beat me, but then I quickly caught up. The CPMA bots to me get pretty brainless after a while.

From playing a lot of CPMA Quake 3, I must note that the best are the bots named "rat" and "arQon."

I had an extremely tough time in regular Q3 nightmare bot - I can barely pass the levels - the bot runs (as mentioned above) all the items on the map and just pins you with fire if you get in its way.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 07:56:07 AM »

CPMA bots start getting interesting when you set their skill level above 90.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »

Hm i just know that there are 'bots'. How can you enable a spitterbot or CPMA-bot?
Baba Owl
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 01:12:37 PM »

@Kitty: O, I didn't know you can edit numbers, I just chose from the menu - the hardest being 4.

@RMF: You can't in this game (at least not that I know of). I was referring to the separate Q3 mod which you can download and play, which installs on top of regular Q3/Q3 Arena or Team Arena.

-Thanks.

HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »

Spiterbots can be downloaded as an extra (or at least could) and were integrated into the CPMA mod with some changes. Some of them were changed to mimic some famous CPM players, like the aph bot (who moves like the wind) or the rat bot (who is phenomenal with the rocket launcher due to his QW roots).

The cool thing about these bots is that they time items, control powerups, have a sense of strategy, and know how to strafe jump and rocket jump. They will also use weapons intelligently, e.g. weaken you with a rail and finish with the machinegun, or do the CPM LG to RG combo.

There is very little difference from regular bots within the lowest 5 difficulty levels. But these bots go up to 100.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »

You should say that you're talking about bot = A.I. opponent, not bot = cheat device. Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Baba Owl
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »

Yea lol.

I had no idea you can increase the diff. numbers - all this time I been playing the bots on lvl 5 - you can do it in cfg right?

I been playing vs bots in CPMA till I got bored of the maps - only playing vs rat and arQon because they offered most challenge. (Not having edited the difficulty numbers.)

I find the OA bots very fair btw - I lost a couple of games but also getting steadily to winning the matches as I play more. Smiley
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »

/addbot rat 100

...and you'll have all the CPMA practice you need Tongue
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »

I had no idea you can increase the diff. numbers - all this time I been playing the bots on lvl 5 - you can do it in cfg right?

I been playing vs bots in CPMA till I got bored of the maps - only playing vs rat and arQon because they offered most challenge. (Not having edited the difficulty numbers.)

Once selected the skill level menu option , just add a number ( 85 in that case ) , but try to start with lower levels than 81 or 75 because you will not find so funny a very first challenge with rat at level 100.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »

Hm so you can just set dif level of bots at the same way you would with icanwin(1)-nightmare(5)? Like /g_spSkill 85? Or else, where to download and how to use those bots?
Baba Owl
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:08 PM »

OK - haha! Will try that..

I haven't fought an OA bot singlehandedly in DM, maybe I can increase the skill the same way since the two games are so closely related.. ?
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »

Hm so you can just set dif level of bots at the same way you would with icanwin(1)-nightmare(5)? Like /g_spSkill 85? Or else, where to download and how to use those bots?

No no ... it's a separate mod ... the original site seems to be died , but there are other sites from where download it . Just google for cpma-1.47 for the mod and for cpma-mappack ( or so ) for the map archive.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »

Ok, thanks falkland Wink
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »

You can also still download the spiterbot mod, but there's nothing it can do that CPMA can't.

You'll probably want to turn on VQ3 physics in CPMA though.
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »

You should say that you're talking about bot = A.I. opponent, not bot = cheat device. Tongue
<jessicara>   ^7UnnamedPlayer^7: stop cheat noob
<jessicara>   Kill: 0 1 11: ^3z^1oom killed ^7UnnamedPlayer by MOD_LIGHTNING
<jessicara>   lol
<jessicara>   (its a bot)
That was spiterbot iirc.

Anyway , the hardest bots to challenge are spiterbots or CPMA bots - they share the same AI code, kinda different by OA/Vanilla Quake3 AI code - which use a different scheme for choosing weapons , have an improved challenge tactics ( they can time items like megahealth and red armor and they are able to predict enemy position while using Rocket Launcher ) and very good movements ( they can do strafe jumps ) and the most important thing , they have 100 difficulty levels .
There was a discussion about spiterbot while ago on this forum http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2503.msg19764#msg19764
It seems that the hardest version of spiterbot is 0.5 RC9 or 0.51 RC9 which I'm unable to find.
Anyway, different versions are available to download http://www.angelfire.com/mt2/quake3bot/

No no ... it's a separate mod ... the original site seems to be died , but there are other sites from where download it . Just google for cpma-1.47 for the mod and for cpma-mappack ( or so ) for the map archive.
It's back online http://www.promode.org/ scroll down for 1.47 files.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: