Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hntourney1 - Duel map 'Blue Station' by HyperNewbie  (Read 17839 times)
HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 23, 2010, 06:25:17 AM »

Hey, I'm glad to have finished my first OA / Q3 map.

Screenshots:

Description:
A medium sized map designed for duel / tournament gameplay. It has a strong focus on movement, no Quad/Haste/other powerup spawns, MH and RA in ambush-able spots with two YAs on opposite ends of the map. Two teleporters warp the player to opposite ends of the main room. Contains 1 spawn of every weapon.

Movement Video:
A video showing some of the movement around the map.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCg5M_y52wA

24 Jan Update - now has trims and the fat light fixed
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:27:38 PM by HyperNewbie » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »

Tried with v0.8.5.

It looks nice, I like the (simple) aesthetic of this map. However, there're some issues, though these may be personal choices, or not:

1) This light here looks very ugly, totally stretched. Why not replacing it with other non-light texture or another light texture? Using dsi/cretetrimlight2 may work.
2) This part of the map was intended to be a hiding place? It seems like there's no item there.
3) These windows should be replaced by walls IMHO. I would've choose another area in which the player shouldn't see another part of the level.
4) Finally, these trims. There's a way to make these to not to look cutted.

BTW, are you willing to release this under GPLv2? There's no .map file nor license.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »

Tried with v0.8.5.

It looks nice, I like the (simple) aesthetic of this map. However, there're some issues, though these may be personal choices, or not:

1) This light here looks very ugly, totally stretched. Why not replacing it with other non-light texture or another light texture? Using dsi/cretetrimlight2 may work.
2) This part of the map was intended to be a hiding place? It seems like there's no item there.
3) These windows should be replaced by walls IMHO. I would've choose another area in which the player shouldn't see another part of the level.
4) Finally, these trims. There's a way to make these to not to look cutted.

BTW, are you willing to release this under GPLv2? There's no .map file nor license.

Thanks for trying out my map!

1) I'll fix this light tomorrow Smiley

2) Yes, it is intended as shown in the video, but it is not a hiding place, more likely a lulzing fun place when you're bored Smiley It is not hiding because the stairs are transparent and you can see someone there, it takes time to get in/out of it and you're basically trapping yourself for grenade spam. It is intended but has absolutely zero gameplay value and anyone in a serious game would not go there.

3) The seeing across to the yellow armour path from the jump pad is intended for several purposes. It is a means of the person with the map control to quickly glance at the yellow armour and see if the other player is making a run for it. In other words, although the higher path to the high YA can be done much faster than the lower path (no stairs to climb) unless you do the rocket jump through the hole, the higher path has a disadvantage in that you can be spotted across the window.
Of course, this is intended to be a hardcore tourney map, and if duelers say parts of the map doesn't work, then I will of course fix it and/or find alternative solutions.

4) I'm not really worried about the trims, this map is all function over aesthetics, but if someone can tell me an easy way to fix them, please tell me!

and yes, it is GPL or any license OA requires. I will upload the .map as soon as I'm done with the fat ugly light (hey don't look at me....those lights looked great on the Q3 light textures Tongue)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:40:42 PM by HyperNewbie » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »

Well, for the next time don't forget to include the .map file AND the license file. (gplv2.txt, COPYING, etc.) OA has the COPYING file in the root folder.

For the trim, it's very easy:

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »

Thanks for the tip, and done and done.

The license and the extremely messy and insanely horrible .map file.
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:13:37 PM »

Hey! It's a nice start. Personally it's too simplistic a map for my tastes but I like the layout of the weapons. I really don't play a lot of tournament maps. I like the random not-so hiding place, I always love those in maps.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »

I tried it and think it's a good and original map.  Could use a bit more detail here and there.

The lighting seemed a bit weird in places, the bots looked darker than their surroundings.  Hmmm perhaps the textures being used are too bright (quite a few textures in OA are too bright and ought to be gamma'd down).

When I played with bots (FFA), most of the action occurred in the T shape between RL, RG and RA (the three R's heh).  I'm no expert with tourney maps, but for FFA the rest of the map might get used more if RA and/or RG were moved -- for example swap RA with the YA on the triangle pedestal near the blue stairs.

HTH
HyperNewbie
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »

I tried it and think it's a good and original map.  Could use a bit more detail here and there.

The lighting seemed a bit weird in places, the bots looked darker than their surroundings.  Hmmm perhaps the textures being used are too bright (quite a few textures in OA are too bright and ought to be gamma'd down).

When I played with bots (FFA), most of the action occurred in the T shape between RL, RG and RA (the three R's heh).  I'm no expert with tourney maps, but for FFA the rest of the map might get used more if RA and/or RG were moved -- for example swap RA with the YA on the triangle pedestal near the blue stairs.

HTH

I agree, when I was placing the items I was like "Nope, this map totally ain't gunna work FFA...", and there's also no Quad or Haste or anything. For QL on dm6, the item spawn locations for FFA / TDM are completely different for if the gametype is on duel. Is that possible with OA maps? Have completely different item sets depending on game type?

Also, I'm not too familiar with player model lighting on a map, is there like, an "ambient" value for vertex lighting that I could use?
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:31:03 AM »

Yes you can control whever an entity spawns in certain game types.  I haven't used it myself but here is how it seems to work judging by other maps in OA and by the source code:

Give the entity a property called gametype and the value is a list, separated by commas, of gametype names.

The gametype names seem to be these:
ffa, tournament, single, team, ctf, oneflag, obelisk, harvester, teamtournament

Alternatively there are also the following entity properties:
[/b]notfree, notteam, notsingle[/b]
(e.g. using "notfree 1" would prevent the entity in FFA, at least I presume so).

I'm not sure what to suggest about the lighting, there are various settings to q3map2 to play around with (-gamma, -compensate, -bounce, -sky) but I don't recall any options for adjusting the lighting grid (used for models) independently of the lightmaps (used for brushes).

EDIT: just took another quick look with the bots, and the lighting isn't a big problem, I think it's actually the shininess of the surfaces (the floor in particular) which makes the bots seem dark against them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:16:24 AM by andrewj » Logged
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 09:02:15 AM »

Nice map, the design reminds me of oa_spirit3. You could use the os_spirit3 blue jumppads to get rid of the current greenish jumppads. And a small note: metaltechfloor01final has two versions in OA 0.8.1, the tga file has loading priority, but the jpg file resembles the original Q3 texture more, and probably will replace the tga version in 0.9.0.

If you want to keep that digital blocky texture, use the textures/evil8_floor/e8cretefloor01b.jpg texture.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »

Now available in MapRaider:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5588

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »

Just some fixes, since the map is GPLv2, and I can. :3

- Fixed lighting.
- Added location names.
- Added support for Possession (the gametype requires the newer OAX gamecode pk3).
- Can now be selected via menu (supports FFA, 1on1, LMS).
- Added .info file.

The rest of the map is untouched.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywjfp7qs9v2kf3g/z_hntourney1-fixed-a1.pk3?dl=0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:12:24 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »

Giving a quick look to it:
- It looks like there are overlapping brushes on the wall at your right, if you are looking from the rocketlauncher platform.
- If you have r_flares 1, the staircase is too bright. Really.
- Maybe teleports may show an energy field?
- Some location names are too long for the "team overlay" table.
- Maybe some items (e.g. grendate launcher) are not pefectly aligned above their signs on the floor?
(Sorry, forum says the space for attachments is full).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:59:46 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »

http://imgur.com Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: