Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu 9.10, OA lags and freezes system on exit  (Read 11953 times)
RMF

Cakes 12

« on: December 23, 2009, 07:09:04 AM »

I can't quite get it to work well. After spending an hour trying to get some drivers for my gpu with some commandline instructions it finally runs with a normal fps rate.. Or that is what it seems.. The meter shows very stable 125/333fps, but it still lags like it is running on 30/40. It is not the internet connection, the lagometer is just fine and pings are normal. Also no connection interrupted.

Second problem, whenever I exit OA (mainmenu or /quit or escape menu) it freezes the system. I'm not really good with ubuntu but after some combinations I found out that one of the only working keys is ctrl-alt-f4 which quits me to a commandline. This problem also occured before installing gpu drivers.

Any idea what i can do about it?
(everyone who ever tried ubuntu seems to like it above windows, that's why im trying. But so far I haven't seen much good, even the gpudriver had to be installed via command line)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »

I'm not sure but we may have already discussed this issue (on a thread started by menganito), it could be related to your OpenAL library which is buggy.

What if you disable OpenAL in game options ? still experiencing freezes ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »

I can't quite get it to work well. After spending an hour trying to get some drivers for my gpu with some commandline instructions it finally runs with a normal fps rate.. Or that is what it seems.. The meter shows very stable 125/333fps, but it still lags like it is running on 30/40. It is not the internet connection, the lagometer is just fine and pings are normal. Also no connection interrupted.

I think it's an issue related to the new input system coming with Karmic ( input devices are now managed by HAL/dbus hotplug system  and not by X -- X >=version 1.5 )

The first thing I'd try is to disable X mouse acceleration with the command "xset m 0 0" , if this will not solve the problem just get a look to this wiki : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging ( in particular the paragraph "I don't want this crap, how do I turn it off? " Cheesy )

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »

Disabling openAL might not be enough because then the game will use SDL sound instead.

To fix SDL sound try to install "libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio" to make sure that SDL uses pulseaudio directly (and not through an ALSA or OSS wrapper). It worked for me and I had the exact same problem.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »

Damnit, first I had no internet on ubuntu, then after a reboot it suddenly worked, and now I can't go online anymore.. Weiiird thing. Connection is via cable, to the router which links to a modem. Should work (it always does with windows, but ubuntu doesnt notice anything when i plug or unplug the cable and i can't connect to the router).

Oh well I just delete ubuntu. If they want to be better than windows then make it work.

Thanks for your replies.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:22:16 AM »

If you haven't tried yet :

Before quitting the game, as you know it will freeze, switch to windowed mode. Bring down the console in OA, and ALT+ENTER, then you will be able to close the window and it will freeze but you should have access to the rest of your desktop.

Todo: Walk the cat.
menganito
Lesser Nub

Cakes 7

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:36:57 AM »

Assuming his problem is the same as mine, it won't work: when I switch to windowed mode , the screen turns black (same as when exitting).
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »

For me it didn't turn black on exit, it just froze when I confirmed I wanted to quit.
S.Creamer
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »

Hi RMF,

I had the same problems. I got rid of pulsaudio (alsa only now) and removed compiz. Disabling compiz is also an option.

I also had very dynamic low framerate, this happened after an install via the standard software channel on Xubuntu. On a quadcore and a 9800gt i still had 6fps on sago sometimes (with right drivers)  Best way to install oa on ubuntu is just to unpack it, after that a solid 333 or 125 were possible again.

Hope it helps, cu online
High_Yield
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 07:38:17 AM »

What do you mean by "Unpacking it" ?

Do you mean downloading and installing manually from the OA site versus installing from Synaptic or the GUI install ?

Best way to install oa on ubuntu is just to unpack it, after that a solid 333 or 125 were possible again.

Thanks - B
TheUbuntuGuy
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »

This is an OpenAL issue. The bug has been fixed in a recent version of OpenAL but has not been placed in the Ubuntu repositories yet.

I have compiled a new set of OpenAL packages which you can install very easily using your package manager. You don't have to screw around with Pulseaudio etc.

Go to: http://sites.google.com/site/theubuntuguy/oafiles

and download the 3 files to somewhere on your computer. [Preferably your desktop].

Open the console, [Applications->Accessories->Terminal]

and type
Code:
cd "{directory path to the files you just downloaded}"

in my case it is: cd "/home/mark/Desktop"

Then type:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i libopenal*.deb

and type your password.

Then just restart your computer and everything should work.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: