Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaned up aggressor.  (Read 32350 times)
xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« on: February 05, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »

Just me tinkering with zeroradiant and simpifying stuff. I took Aggressor and made a simpler version where I stripped the brushwork back to the basics. Some of the layout has been altered in the simplification process, so it may play slightly differently.

I've done a fair bit of clipping to produce a cleaner final map. There are still a few bits that need clipping, but I'm getting the hang of it.

clean_aggressor_005.pk3
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:12:43 AM by xkvtztvkx » Logged
xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 06:13:33 AM »

I've done a load of clipping and then compared the BSPs. The original had 3,285 triangles, my new one has only 436, that's a reduction of almost 87%. This should get a few more fps and if anyone wants to mod aggressor this version will be way simpler to work with.

Here's a shot of the decompiled BSPs side by side in Blender.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:46:38 AM by xkvtztvkx » Logged
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:51:14 AM »

Retexturing hasn't been mentioned... ah well.

Tested the second version with bots (AAS could be compiled with forcesidesvisible) and I didn't feel any difference... although the wall texture was a bit interesting at first.

The floor needs a new texture as well, because the correct pair doesn't fit.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »

Graion Dilach - So the brushwork simplifications I made haven't messed up the gameplay for you? That's good news.

I've been mainly focussed on the clipping and I agree the textures need some work. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »

Actually, my first impression was OA486. And for some people, that's good news.

About the floor... I don't know which texture you currently use, but a darker subversion would be good there, IMO.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »

Good point about OA486, I'd be interested to hear from anyone running this on a 486 machine to see how much difference it makes on that hardware.

This business with simplifying maps isn't purely about hardware performance either. I do a lot of work in Blender and I'm curious about making ase meshes and incorporating them into maps. If I strip a map right back to the most basic shapes then it gives me a clean canvas to model against. I'll import the BSP into Blender and use it as a guide to modelling (see the pic in my previous post). A cleaner, simpler BSP would make my work in Blender a lot easier.

I'll look into your suggestion of a darker floor and see if I can come up with something better. Thanks for the feedback.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 04:08:23 PM »

Good point about OA486, I'd be interested to hear from anyone running this on a 486 machine to see how much difference it makes on that hardware.
OA currently runs 1-5fps in 640x480 at low detail with 3dicons turned off, on a 486 equipped with a Voodoo2. Most of the slowdown comes from the polyful md3s animated at a high framerate, sound mixing and compressed TGA loading, all mostly due to FPU use.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »

So map optimizing won't help much about it, will it?

xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

clean_aggressor_003

I've done some work on the texturing. In the end I chose bricks for the walls, wooden planks for the floor and cement as a plastered ceiling. Giving ceilings their own textures was important because I noticed that when I looked up the walls and ceiling were hard to differentiate.

I also did some work on the lighting. Everything had been very flatly lit because there were so many lights. I redid the lighting with only a few lights and the glow from the teleporters. This made it easier to see the shape of the map.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »

OA486 feeling gone. The feeling was implified by the simple light textures, but this new outfit restored the old Aggressor feeling.

The lighting should be improved, there are many black spots. Those spots are too dark, like the corridor between the shotgun-room and the grenade launcher room.

I don't know how to write out FPS, so I can't tell you the difference in performance.

I didn't tested if AAS could be compiled purely, but it still can be compiled with forcesidesvisible.

xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »

I'll do a bit more tweaking with the lights to get rid of the black spots.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 02:57:17 AM »

I don't know how to write out FPS, so I can't tell you the difference in performance.

/cg_drawFPS 1

So the brushwork simplifications I made haven't messed up the gameplay for you? That's good news.

One minor thing: the slopes are a little higher then the stairs were, that means you cannot do the circlejump from the lightning gun passage to the megahealth stairs any more. Here's vo0 performing the trick: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vzGQbYCVnIg Maybe you should start the slope a little later, leave more flat place at the beginning.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 04:44:34 AM »

Udi - Thanks for spotting that. I've copied and pasted the stairs from the original map and altered the brushwork to fit with them. The circle jump should work now. I liked the look of the metal steps from the original map so I put them on the other steps too.

I've also done a load more clipping and there's a good chance I've got everything. Is it me or is clipping very addictive? With the metal steps added to the stairs my tri count is 571, which is less than 18% of the original. I've done some more work on the lighting to elimate any black spots and I've checked the outside of the map to ensure all outside surfaces are caulk. This map is starting to look pretty respectable now. Smiley

Download for clean_aggressor_005.pk3 in the first post.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 06:20:15 AM »

I haven't seen 004 but 005 became boxy. Heavily.

Personally, I don't like the original one, so I can't tell if it's a good or a bad thing.

But after these looks, I'm really interested what would you bring on your own.

xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 06:50:16 AM »

Yeah, I did go seriously boxy with 005. Smiley

I should make my own map now I guess. I'm not really too clued up on good layout for games though. I might look for some guides.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »

[...] Here's vo0 performing the trick: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vzGQbYCVnIg [...]

He's not Vo0 , maybe cortex but definitely not Vo0 ... (one of) VoO's config is available here
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »

He's not Vo0 , maybe cortex but definitely not Vo0 ... (one of) VoO's config is available here

Thanks, I saw that in the comments after I posted.

xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »

Udi - can you do the circle jump now?
bill-----
Half-Nub

Cakes 8

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »

I never could hit that CJ.  Guess I didn't take enough time to work it out.   I can still do a double jump from the far side of the LG to the edge and then to the stairs,
so the difference is small, but apparently enough. 

RJ to the MH from the RL platform is now way easy.  Have a look at the original, and that ledge/sill that the MH rests on, as well as the angled wall that is now gone.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 04:41:12 AM »

Udi - can you do the circle jump now?

Yes, thanks it's great, here's a video: clean-aggressor-cj.ogv. You can see that you have to jump from the ledge to the MH, or else you will fall down, while at the original you could walk straight to the MH. Just a minor thing, you would jump anyway because it's faster.

xkvtztvkx
Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »

bill----- - I can live with things being easier. Smiley

Udi - Cool. I'm glad it's fixed now.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »

Reuploaded, includes version 2, 3 and 5.

http://graiondilach.uw.hu/oa/aggsimple.pk3

All versions have a map, a bsp and an aas. Mapscript included. No levelshots.

IMO, since the original is GPLv2, these are as well, maybe a version of this should be sent into OA486 as well.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »

Link not working. I'll upload it this week.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 06:21:15 PM »

Turns out I had this wandering in an HD. It's 002, 003 and 005.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnxchq7a3ds7mxe/aggsimple.pk3?dl=0

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: