Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: server disconnected - invalid .pk3 files. Enabling auto-download might help.  (Read 9779 times)
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: October 29, 2014, 02:30:09 AM »

I set up a local wifi-direct network for mobile devices.

One server and one client is ok. When another client wants to join, it shows messages 'invalid .pk3 files' like what I put in the title.
Actually when this new client creates a new game by itself (as the server) and use the identical map (playing with itself), it works.

What is wrong with it? Thanks.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 03:40:05 AM »

Which kind of clients are you using? PCs? Android? ("Mobile devices" is a bit generic).

Do all the clients have the same exact "clean" installation of OpenArena?
Do you use "official" OA package/binaries (downloaded from openarena.ws), or you got them from some other repository?

If the server holds some more pk3s than the other machines, those may try to autodownload them. To allow DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Autodownload]automatic downloading, in the server sv_allowdownload has to be set to 1, and in the clients, cl_allowdownload has to be set to 1. (Note: UDP download speed is capped by "sv_maxrate" and "rate" values, so the maximum download speed is around 25000 bytes/sec. Unofficial binaries may differ.)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
nrz
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:52 AM »

Which kind of clients are you using? PCs? Android? ("Mobile devices" is a bit generic).

--- Dozen of Androids, connected by Wifi-Direct

Do all the clients have the same exact "clean" installation of OpenArena?

--- No. I also did source mod, and installed from different places (already forgot which is from which)

Do you use "official" OA package/binaries (downloaded from openarena.ws), or you got them from some other repository?

--- It should be. I do not change maps and packages

If the server holds some more pk3s than the other machines, those may try to autodownload them. To allow DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Autodownload]automatic downloading, in the server sv_allowdownload has to be set to 1, and in the clients, cl_allowdownload has to be set to 1. (Note: UDP download speed is capped by "sv_maxrate" and "rate" values, so the maximum download speed is around 25000 bytes/sec. Unofficial binaries may differ.)

--- Thanks for these detail measure that is really helpful to check. Let me first follow your guide and give them all the same installation and packages.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:31:07 AM »

--- Dozen of Androids, connected by Wifi-Direct
Then, I can guess you're using Pelya's port (Google play - thread on the forum), which contains some changes from the "official" (PC) game binaries (also including a few extra pk3s). Or maybe one of those few Q3&OA Android ports such as DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Ports#Android]these (which I never tried).

--- No. I also did source mod, and installed from different places (already forgot which is from which)
I think pelya's port does support mods. But I never tried OA mods in Android: I can guess some/many of the optimizations he did to the game interface/controls would not work while using mods designed for the classic PC versions. I can guess one may create mods starting from its android source code, to preserve such optimizations (but then, they may not be okay for PC usage, who knows).

... or did you mean that "you did modify the source code" and recompiled the game (engine? gamecode?) by your own?

--- It should be. I do not change maps and packages
If you are running from Android, I can guess you are not using official openarena.ws binaries, which are Windows/Mac/Linux compatible only. I suppose you are using a fork/port, such as the one from Pelya, which includes a few pk3 which do not exist in PC version, to include its touchscreen optimized interface.

If you need to contact Pelya, you can try sending him a PM.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:56:16 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: