Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small bug in Bot A.I. when playing a skirmish "Overload" match  (Read 5419 times)
Virus
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:13:42 AM »

Before anything else, a big compliment: I tried a lot of free shooters before (Alien Arena, Nexuiz, Warsow), but OpenArena has simply the biggest fun factor.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before (quick search gave no results), but I realized a problem when playing a single player "Skirmish" Overload match with Bots:

The bots defend their base or attack the enemies base, but they don't shoot the obelisks, no matter how easy it would be. I tried using different difficulty settings, but the behaviour is still the same:

For example: I added 6 bots to my team and only two bots as enemy team. I gave team orders to attack the enemy base and stayed at the base and went into "spectator"-mode. My team went into the enemy base without problems (6 against 2, sure...), and they just stood there and waited for the enemies to come, never shooting at the obelisk.

This behaviour is in 0.8.1 and also in the 0.8.5 RC1. Any chance that the bots could be improved or is this too complicated?
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:21:38 AM »

Only aim changes with dificulty, that is one of the reason why I hate the standard bots.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »

As far as I can see the problem is somewhere in the bot-files. The engine and VM works if loaded with the original Q3A-TA bots.

Unfortunately I don't have much insight into that part of the bot code. dmn_clown did mention the report that inspired the OA bots so theoretically you can read up on it. The fuzzy logic for the bots are significantly changed in OA compared to Q3A. It is possible an easy fix if you know what to look for... I don't.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:03:29 AM »

I actually fixed this at some point. It works in 0.8.5.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: