Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: OA 0.8.7 todo, contrib, etc thread  (Read 96193 times)
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »

I've noticed that CPMA and E+ mods have both a function for loading external filters for players name. This could be useful for not having nameless players ( "" ) or UnnamedPlayers , but if filters system can accept also regular expressions , an admin could also set other kind of restrictions. The action could be customized too ( put the player using illegal name on spec , kick him/her or auto-ban him/her. )

I've also noticed that with the latest QL update they've set the minimun allowed value for cl_maxpackets to 63 . This should prevent the use of lagging scripts or player's warping. Since I don't think there's still anyone playing with a 56k modem , maybe this change could be introduced also in OA.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »

For the next release, I think it could be nice to have more maps available for TDM mode (for example, AM_GALMVEVISH): few maps are selectable when creating a TDM game.

And in general, it could be good to check that all included maps are available at least in one game type (I noticed that q3dm6ish appears nowhere in skirmish menu... there may be more, I fear...)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 07:50:24 AM »

This is because somebody remarked it out of the arena.txt file:
http://openarena.ws/svn/scripts/arenas.txt

Dunno why, but it seems to have had a reason...

It would be nice, if this project had a real repository for the developers, so anybody could check when and who did the changes and - of course - why.
But this discussion was done already and there was one person who dislike this idea...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 10:14:53 AM »

Peter, check this: http://www.mancubus.net/svn/openarena/

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »

[...] Since I don't think there's still anyone playing with a 56k modem [...]
I'm not sure about that. Think to the whole world, in many places broadband is not available anywhere (I live in Italy, and AFAIK there are various small municipalities/fractions that don't have ADSL yet and probably will not have it for years). I don't know, but I suppose that in many countries situation could be a lot worse than in Italy...

I don't know the best settings of cl_maxpackets depending on connection type, I just want to say do not forget there is still someone with 56k, and they could enjoy OpenArena, a game with lag compensation technology (for hitscan weapons, of course...)...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »

curse!!!
Why did i miss this??!?!?!!
I hope, that all devs have access to this repo Smiley
THX for information and a big excuse to the person i talked about (sry: my _big_ fault!).

And - at last - it seems, that the file limit is reached and no more maps can be integrated (see rev. 914)
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »

I'm not sure about that. Think to the whole world, in many places broadband is not available anywhere (I live in Italy, and AFAIK there are various small municipalities/fractions that don't have ADSL yet and probably will not have it for years). I don't know, but I suppose that in many countries situation could be a lot worse than in Italy...

I don't know the best settings of cl_maxpackets depending on connection type, I just want to say do not forget there is still someone with 56k, and they could enjoy OpenArena, a game with lag compensation technology (for hitscan weapons, of course...)...

I guess who still has a 56k connection to have difficulties also to get the game ( of which the entire - game+patch - "weight" is around 350MB and can be downloaded only from the Internet. ).

Anyway lag compensation ( and QL has also its lag compensation tecnique based on CPMA netcode ) goal is to make the game a bit more fair for players having a high ping ( like USA players playing in EU servers or viceversa ) , not to compensate artificially produced packets loss.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »

I guess who still has a 56k connection to have difficulties also to get the game ( of which the entire - game+patch - "weight" is around 350MB and can be downloaded only from the Internet. ).
Well, they exist friends, schools, internet points and workplaces that have broadband internet connection to download the game, and CD burners/USB memories to bring it to home...
Anyway lag compensation ( and QL has also its lag compensation tecnique based on CPMA netcode ) goal is to make the game a bit more fair for players having a high ping ( like USA players playing in EU servers or viceversa ) , not to compensate artificially produced packets loss.
"Artificially produced packet loss"? What are you talking about? :-/ I don't know how cl_maxpackets works exactly... I guess it changes the number of packets transmitted from your machine to server and vice versa, but I don't know how it changes gameplay or can influence other players... Could you explain it to me, please? Is your position more or less "accurate" changing this?
I remember that, when I was playing Q3A with my old clan, years ago, when some ADSL guy beginned spamming (flooding) text messages at (his) will, I (with a 56k until few months ago) experienced big lagging problems and sometimes even disconnections from the server. Anyway, I was the victim of the problem, not the cause...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:36:55 PM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 12:21:15 PM »

I hope, that all devs have access to this repo Smiley
I added a link DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=5808&oldid=5409]here, but probably there are more specifc developer-oriented pages where we could add the link...

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »

"Artificially produced packet loss"? What are you talking about? :-/ I don't know how cl_maxpackets works exactly... I guess it changes the number of packets transmitted from your machine to server and vice versa, but I don't know how it changes gameplay or can influence other players... Could you explain it to me, please? Is your position more or less "accurate" changing this?

Usually the less information ( packets ) a player sends , the less accurate will be his/her position for other players.

Many lag/warp scripts are based on this concept , changing the number of packets dinamically as needed , so to make difficult for the other players to hit the player while lagging/warping . Increasing the minimum number of sent packets should avoid those situations , making the game world consistence coherent enough .

The same issue could be caused when dynamically changing snaps of which allowed values are between 1 and 30 ( hardcoded in ioquake3 ) : I've proposed to remove clientside snaps cvar and making it automatically set to the same value of server sv_fps ( as in CPMA and in QL )

But those changes should imply that players with a 56k connection should not be able to join any online server.

I remember that, when I was playing Q3A with my old clan, years ago, when some ADSL guy beginned spamming (flooding) text messages at (his) will, I (with a 56k until few months ago) experienced big lagging problems and sometimes even disconnections from the server. Anyway, I was the victim of the problem, not the cause...

In this case you got disconnected for the opposite reason , because your connection was saturated by the flooding messages sent by the spammer ( your line capacity went overrun )
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »

For the love of $DEITY, remove the handicap option from the menu.

It feels like every single noob you see has it set to 60 or 75. We'll never get any new players like this.

Keep the cvar, but the option has to disappear from the menu and must never be mentioned anywhere.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »

Hellokitty is right i have been noticing a lot more people with this on and usually set to 95. Most I talk to think causes others to be weak and some don't speak english so trying to tell them what it really is for does not help.
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 05:50:12 AM »

For the love of $DEITY, remove the handicap option from the menu.

It feels like every single noob you see has it set to 60 or 75. We'll never get any new players like this.

Keep the cvar, but the option has to disappear from the menu and must never be mentioned anywhere.

I agree, it's a useless misleading option that people don't understand and even the PROs don't use it.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 08:53:25 AM »

No need to remove it, IMHO. In the beta version 46 (see the OAX thread) it has been enabled a description text that is shown when you are over that option in the menu. It explains that changing that value makes you weaker (I don't remember the exact words now).
I think that's enough. And the Wiki site DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Player_settings#Handicap]explains how it works.

HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »

Given that nobody ever uses that option other than newbs (who do not read the wiki), I'm still for completely removing it.

I'm willing to bet that new players will still mess with it regardless of what text is written. This option is harming the OA community and anyone who might theoretically need such an option knows how to use the cvars anyway.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »

let's see if i can do anything about it from my lazy end

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 03:07:45 AM »

Given that nobody ever uses that option other than newbs (who do not read the wiki),
On Wikipedia, one would add a "citation needed". I've found servers where there were some skilled players that actually used handicap to fill the gap with the others. It's not very common, but sometimes it happens. I've even seen at least a server where the "message of the day" invites "pro" players <<to play gently or to use handicap>>.
I'm willing to bet that new players will still mess with it regardless of what text is written.
I think it's their problem, if they ignore clear messages.
Anyway, when you find a noob that uses it, you can tell him to disable the handicap. When he will have learned this, he could tell the same thing to other noobs he will find in the future, when he will be a noob no more.
This option is harming the OA community and anyone who might theoretically need such an option knows how to use the cvars anyway.
IMHO, it's better to have an option in the GUI than do not have it. If we want to make changes to the GUI, I think we should put in some more options (for example, the elimination_ variables), not removing the existing ones. Obviously, IMHO.

HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 05:25:13 AM »

On Wikipedia, one would add a "citation needed". I've found servers where there were some skilled players that actually used handicap to fill the gap with the others. It's not very common, but sometimes it happens. I've even seen at least a server where the "message of the day" invites "pro" players <<to play gently or to use handicap>>.
I've only ever seen one pro use the handicap option. He had it set while dueling me and I asked him to reset it out of respect (I didn't stand a chance either way).

Every other time, it was a noob.

I think it's their problem, if they ignore clear messages.
It is their problem until they quit OA 5 minutes later and never come back. It's hard to get new players for such a mature (if you count Quake3+mods) game, and we should not make it even harder.

I'm not suggesting this out of boredom, I have seen literally dozens of noobs set this option and then leave OA forever. It's obviously too easy to set and too appealing to new players. If somebody really needs to handicap themselves to 75%, they will find a way to do it.

Anyway, when you find a noob that uses it, you can tell him to disable the handicap. When he will have learned this, he could tell the same thing to other noobs he will find in the future, when he will be a noob no more.
That's what I do, every single time. But most of the time they don't notice because the action is too fast, there are too many messages scrolling by, they are overwhelmed with the constant respawning and wondering why three bullets can kill them, and they can't kill anybody.

Getting dropped into an FFA server is a rather traumatising experience. It's one thing to play somebody 1 on 1 and have time to chat and show the guy the ropes, it's completely different when you land on [Z] FFA and there's 5 guys with 40 frags in under two minutes.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 06:39:50 AM »

I still think that the new message in the GUI is enough.
Try it... download the OAXBeta46 and use it as a mod.
The message there says:
Handicap makes you weaker
giving you more challenge
It is in bright white and appears when you are over the handicap option. IMHO it's ok.

If you want, we could ask for some change in the message... for example writing "WEAKER" instead of "weaker"...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »

I wish the engine had support for a blink tag, that'd be used too

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »

How about an electric shock if you touch the setting before 50 online matches?
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 03:11:10 AM »

How about an electric shock if you touch the setting before 50 online matches?

Yea I'm for that. Explaining doesn't always work, it's time for some real life violence. Smack some sense into them and so on.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 06:50:18 PM »

Probably this has already been said... anyway I write it here.
- I suppose the logo in the main menu (and possibily in the intro video) should be updated to the current one, in 0.8.6.
- Maybe I should write it in the "Bugs" thread, but maybe it can stay here, too... It would be nice to find and fix the reason why, when using many mods designed for Q3A, the main menu background (and sometimes also other menus background) appears as a "missing texture" (black, with grey/white borders), really not good at looking. Maybe the problem involves some shaders, too, because in some mods the main menu background is not shown even if it consists in a custom image and not the classic Q3A logo... I know that there are still many DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures]missing textures and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures_and_shaders_of_Q3_and_TA_maps]shaders, but is it possible to give some higher priority to these?

chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:18 AM »

Are there any bots not making it into 0.8.6?

If I remember correctly, there was talk of possibly removing Rai or Dark and I assume Jenna won't be ready.

I'm beginning to finalise some lines for the bots' initial chat files, and now is a good time to know which bots not to give any lines to.

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »

In "the mission pack", the HUD color is "neutral", while it should look red when you are on the red team, and blue while you are on the blue team...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: