Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.5 Bugs  (Read 224326 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »

Graion, what are you planning to do exactly? I'm a little lost...

Another thing: about a bug that seems very small, but why let it be there? Smiley It seems that, when you start the game for the first time (temporarily rename your q3config.cfg file to make a try), if you go to the "gam options menu", you see thare is no crosshair (the first option allows you to see it).... look more attently, and you see that it is drawn in black instead of in white as usual... After you launch a match for the first time, and then come back to the menu, you will see it white as usual. If you manually select different color values, there are retained instead, but if the first time you leave the "crosshair shows health" disabled, after launching your first match you will find it enabled again. These are small problems that seem to affect only the settings you see/enter before and when launching your first match ever... anyway, if you want to take a look to the thing...

By the way: since when the "crosshair shows health" option is enabled, the selected crosshair colors are ignored, could you please add a short description of this, when you mouseover those options? Thank you!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2010, 03:27:05 AM »

Graion, I see you asked for a SVN commit for some files related with the bot compatibility... could you please explain me what are they, and what is the "chat problem" you mentioned there? Thank you!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »

I try my best, but all the information are on the previous page.

OK, as you may already know, the differences between OA bots and Q3 bots are just variable names, how they refer the weapons, items and various chatlines from rnd.c. Those two files I posted and wrote were based on Sago's idea and they fix the weapon and item referring. But I haven't done adding the missing the chatline variables, they're still different, and some Q3 bots will still complain, but that's not a huge problem, they'll work as they should. I'm planning to fix that as well, but only after getting a response from Chaoticsoldier, since I'd like to add that new lines as a side project of his.

From a simple user's POV, consider those files as a gate between the two game. Maybe that's the closest I can say. I can't tell you more. Not that I don't want to, I just don't know how to make myself and this thing understand on English.

I'm a bit nerdy and while I see this logic, I can't write it down. Possibly on Hungarian it'd be uccessful, but on English...  maybe rereading my explanation from last week and Sago's coding are enough.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
MyLittlePwny
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »

I think what you're describing is called a "shim". ^_^
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »

Indeed, that's the correct definition. But I never heard of it 'til this minute. Thanks! Smiley

Also, that pk3 is enough for the fix.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »

Thus, this should restore the compatibilty, allowing to "translate" the variable names? It's more or less what I suggested some posts ago... but I thought that someone said that the changes from Q3A to OA bot files were "more than variable names".
Anyway, I suppose the Q3 bots still will not use the TA items, right? Just to know what to write in the help pages when 0.8.6 will come out...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »

A model remap file feature would be decent for mods but it'd probably mean easy cheating so i don't know. It'd fix some mods though

as in a file like:

Code:
model/player/klesk/red model/player/gargoyle/red
model/player/klesk/flisk model/player/gargoyle/stone
model/player/hunter/* model/player/angelyss/dark

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »

Anyway, I suppose the Q3 bots still will not use the TA items, right? Just to know what to write in the help pages when 0.8.6 will come out...

Wrong. They will. Well, if they use every Q3 item they'll use TA items as well. My shim copies the weight of Q3 items to the TA slots and I did a test to see if it works as it should by putting Biker to OA and took a test on Blitzkrieg. After I saw that he prefers the plasma mainly, I did a second one on oa_koth1, for the chain. And in that game, lead poisoning became a main source of dying.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »

And will they also recognize the rules of the new game types (Overload, Harvester, One flag CTF, Domination....)?

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »

I think so, since they have everything that the OA bots has. But hey, test it and believe in your own eyes.

That pk3 from SVN Commits are for you, simple kind of users. No more thing needed, just that in your baseoa.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »

I will try it for sure!  Smiley
Just a question of time...

UPDATE: I did some try...
It seems that Q3-compatible bots (like Johnny5, Number4 and Homer) use TA weapons (I noticed these bots seem to like nailgun much, much more than chaingun), and know they have to shoot at the enemy obelisk in Overload mode, and to touch the flags in Domination mode.

Man, you are great! Another cake for you!!!!  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:22:16 PM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »

A model remap file feature would be decent for mods but it'd probably mean easy cheating so i don't know. It'd fix some mods though

as in a file like:

Code:
model/player/klesk/red model/player/gargoyle/red
model/player/klesk/flisk model/player/gargoyle/stone
model/player/hunter/* model/player/angelyss/dark

Why "easy cheating"? Because people could remap to very bright models?

If this is the problem, maybe this feature could be limited only to models that the server owns (if you "redirect" to a model that the server does not own, you would see Sarge instead)... just an idea... or maybe "protect" in some way the conversion table, so that a guy would not be able connect to pure servers if he altered it, changing the values included with OpenArena...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:54 PM »

The bot compatibility patch is a great thing... what about advertising it, placing it in the downloads section directly on the site, placing a sticky thread on the forum or similar?

It is a great fix for OpenArena, I think people should not have to wait until the next release (and nobody knows when it will be) to take advantage from it!

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »

It seems that Q3-compatible bots (like Johnny5, Number4 and Homer) use TA weapons (I noticed these bots seem to like nailgun much, much more than chaingun), and know they have to shoot at the enemy obelisk in Overload mode, and to touch the flags in Domination mode.

Well, bots which like the shotgun will prefer the nail as well, the plasma-lovers will use the chain much and the grenadiers will love the proxmine. And I should try Overload once.

BTW, FAQ's regarding section is updated.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2010, 06:22:33 PM »

Maybe DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=FAQ&diff=7146&oldid=7068]a little drastic, but I suppose it may work. Smiley Is it possible to host the file in a place where people could download it without having to register to the forum?
Fromhell, could you please put it somewhere on the openarena.ws ftp space, for example?

By the way, is there somewhere a page that explains how to write a bot file for OpenArena?

Graion (and everyone that reads this, obviously!)... what do you think about the eventuality to "remap" model names -where not available a real model with the same name- (and/or the same thing for missing bot files, or even maps, too?) to improve compatibility with some Q3A mods?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:22:52 AM by Gig » Logged

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »

I didn't follow the discussion. Isn't that work meant to be commited to SVN thread ? Otherwise when it's complete one can host it here.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »

It has already been completed and commited as SVN revision 935, Cacatoes. But the current version still needs a fix, although I can and will prove on my own that download.

I think the model and bot remap could be possible. I did something similar to ARQ, actually. But the map is too much, and it can't be changed that simply.

About bot-writing, IMHO it's easier to get BotStudio, write a Q3 bot then converting it to OA on the hard way then writing a OA bot from scratch. BotStudio has a GUI and as far as I remember, it has a documentation. Combining with that documentation I wrote on the previous page, it should be more than enough.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2010, 05:28:25 AM »

I see you updated the download link for the patch. Good.

What about writing a page on the wiki (for example "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Creating_a _bot]Creating a bot"), writing where to find that BotStudio software (and, if available, some documentation for it), and then include the conversion guide you wrote here?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2010, 05:15:47 AM »

If someone is interested, I found a guide about Q3 bots that seems enough detailed:

http://dev.johnstevenson.co.uk/bots/20585341-The-Quake-III-Arena-Bot.pdf

chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »

That's a good read. It's full of great information, but there's so much technical stuff to filter through.

If you'd like to know more about creating or editing bots, I strongly recommend following the link on p87 and download q3abotedit.zip. The documents in that .zip are very easy to understand. I found that file about a year ago and it taught me a lot.

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2010, 04:42:21 AM »

Yes, let's put also this link here: http://ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/tools/q3abotedit.zip
Note: This forum does not like "ftp" links, it adds automatically an "http" before them, making them wrong. Copy-paste in your browser the address, removing the "http" part.

However, I still hope that Graion will create that "Creating a bot" page to explain how to write them in the "OA" style...

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »

Maybe next week.

Considering that my first documentation wasn't that understandable that I've thought first, also that I had to upgrade an SMF forum from 1.1 to 2.0 which took ca. 15 hours this week as part of a strill unfinished website redesign, I don't know when will I get to write another one.

Also, firstly I'd like to synchronize the Q3 chat variables with the ones used by Chaoticsoldier. I still don't even started that one.

I must say that nothing is forgotten, but my timetable is too cruel.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »

Yes, let's put also this link here: ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/tools/q3abotedit.zip
Note: This forum does not like "ftp" links, it adds automatically an "http" before them, making them wrong. Copy-paste in your browser the address, removing the "http" part.

However, I still hope that Graion will create that "Creating a bot" page to explain how to write them in the "OA" style...
Fixed, use the ftp tag to link FTP files:

Code:
[ftp]ftp://heregoestheftpurl.com/ftpfile.exe[/ftp]

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

I never noticed the "insert ftp link" icon next to the "insert email" icon...

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/tools/q3abotedit.zip

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »

Another bug, or better, two bugs.
This time it comes with the weapon bar and the elimination_grapple.
You can see it in the screenshot.

To reproduce:
- set cg_weaponbarstyle to 3
- set elimination_grapple to 1
- load a map in Elimination mode
- check the weapon icons: the icon of the grapple appears like a "missing texture" until you select it (when you select it, the icon becomes loaded). It seems to happen with weapon bar style 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Note: this seems to not happen if the weaponbarstyle was 0: if you did not set it to 3 before the test, do it now and then load another map. Change map also after the icon has been loaded once.
- There is a red line (that should indicate the ammo level, by the way it probably may be omitted since the grapple does not consume ammo), and it is placed at the wrong place (there is no weapon at the position of the red line). It seems this happens with cg_weaponbarstyle 1, 3, 6 and elimination_grapple active.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: