Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.5 Bugs  (Read 224331 times)
jhardin
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2010, 04:15:40 PM »

It was apparently fixed in ioquake upstream in May 2009:

http://svn.icculus.org/quake3/trunk/code/server/sv_net_chan.c?r1=1552&r2=1596
You are talking about a different problem.

If it was fixed in revision 1596 then it would be fixed in 0.8.5 because it was based on some 17XX revision.

Netchan errors can be caused by hundred of different things.

...frack. I dug into this a little deeper and it seems that Gentoo's OpenArena 0.8.5 package is the 0.8.1 sources plus some individual patch files. If I pull the compiled OpenArena executable out of the OA 0.8.5 patch file and run it in place of the one that Gentoo compiles from scratch, the crash does not occur.

Any possibility of there being an 0.8.6 package that is the complete build-it-from-scratch sources, in addition to a precompiled update .ZIP as was done for 0.8.5?

Thanks.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »

Any possibility of there being an 0.8.6 package that is the complete build-it-from-scratch sources, in addition to a precompiled update .ZIP as was done for 0.8.5?
All OA binaries have been in the test thread for some time and can be found here: http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev081/

The binaries in the 0.8.5 patch is either "-14" (windows) or "-13" (linux). The source is in the tar.bz2-files.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
jhardin
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »

All OA binaries have been in the test thread for some time and can be found here: http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev081/

The binaries in the 0.8.5 patch is either "-14" (windows) or "-13" (linux). The source is in the tar.bz2-files.

Okay, then let me modify my request: could the current version of the source tarball be copied to http://openarena.ws/svn/source/081/ whenever a stable release is done?

Gentoo builds stuff from scratch, and the latest code tarball available from an "authoritative" source (i.e. the project's SVN repo URL above) is the (now-stale) 0.8.1-1 tarball.

Can the openarena-engine-source-0.8.x-13.tar.bz2 or -14 source tarball for the 0.8.5 release be copied there immediately? Or is there a different authoritative server (besides poul19's home directory) for the 0.8.5 release that Gentoo should be pulling the sources from?

Thanks!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2011, 04:54:03 AM »

Hi guys! Do you remember this post?
It talked about the problem that "autocomplete" for "exec" command does not work after you enter a map.
The guys at ioquake3 have just created a fix. Is it possible to apply it to OpenArena?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »

Is it possible to apply it to OpenArena?
Yes, but soon it might be applied to ioquake3 and that would be preferred, especially since it is not OpenArena specific.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »

Looks like this was included in ioquake3 revision 1892.

I will create a new engine snapshot soon. ioquake3 patches are coming very quickly at the moment but enough has been done to try it out.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »

Is there a chance for, at least, a 0.8.6 code-patch?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2011, 01:06:19 PM »

The icons for the Neutral Flag (also used in Domination) and the Red and Blue skulls are missing.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Scorpena
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2011, 02:00:10 AM »

If any OA guru can help me, please.

While loading defrag mod game crashes.

Log:
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:

<...here maps list goes...>
C:\Games\openarena-0.8.5\baseoa\pak0.pk3 (1042 files)

handle 1: video/idlogo.roq
----------------------
32543 files in pk3 files
cl_voip will be changed upon restarting.
r_stencilbits will be changed upon restarting.
r_mode will be changed upon restarting.
g_spSkill will be changed upon restarting.
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec q3config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Closing SDL audio device...
SDL audio device shut down.
------ Initializing Sound ------
Loading "OpenAL32.dll"...
----- Client Shutdown (Client fatal crashed: Couldn't open C:\Games\openarena-0.8.5\baseoa\pak0.pk3) -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
---End log---

or another log:

----------------------
32543 files in pk3 files
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
---End log---

or:
----------------------
32543 files in pk3 files
cl_voip will be changed upon restarting.
r_stencilbits will be changed upon restarting.
r_mode will be changed upon restarting.
g_spSkill will be changed upon restarting.
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
OpenAL capture device closed.
------ Initializing Sound ------
Loading "OpenAL32.dll"...
----- Client Shutdown (Clie
C:\Games\openarena-0.8.5\baseoa\batcula.pk3 (56 files)
C:\Games\openarena-0.8.5\baseoa\apocalyptica.pk3 (27 files)
C:\Ga
---End log---

Such log last time appears only while loading defrag mod (and aftershock), other mods work fine.
C:\Games\openarena-0.8.5\baseoa\pak0.pk3 is in the map list.

Windows XP SP3. Open Arena 0.8.5 with openarena-engine-bin-0.8.x-20 dated 07.03.2011 (was applied after some maps didn't loaded and game went out to defrag menu). Till now all went well, but past few days cant launch defrag mode.    Sad

I thought the cause was in audio drivers and reinstalled audio drivers and OAL, but nothing changed. Video setting wasnt changed.

Can u give me a piece of advice how to launch defrag and avoid crash?  Huh
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:29:45 AM by Scorpena » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2011, 06:37:44 AM »

Maybe some pk3 your machine recently autodownloaded makes some conflict.
Search in your baseoa and defrag folders for recently created pk3 files, rename them (like example.pk3.test) or move them of from their folders (e.g. on the desktop). Then try again.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Scorpena
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:30 AM »

Maybe some pk3 your machine recently autodownloaded makes some conflict.
Search in your baseoa and defrag folders for recently created pk3 files, rename them (like example.pk3.test) or move them of from their folders (e.g. on the desktop). Then try again.

Thank you.
I used this trick, but recently it happens way too often - almost after every map. So it looks exactly like an annoying bug.  Smiley
Interesting moment was when game crashed on a map ghost-duck.pk3, which worked stable right before that, and i had to move it off.
And I dont understand, why other gamers doesnt have such troubles on same maps?
Also, why .pk3 file, which is simple  zip archive, conflicts with the program core up to crash in usual environment?
Why I have to find, try and delete it manually instead of receiving some standart program message, like "<example.pk3> map conflicts with program function <xyz>" in working defrag mod without silent core crash?  Undecided

Also another bug:
recording to demos/temp/current.dm_71.
Couldn't write q3config.cfg.
Stopped demo.
Not recording a demo.
recording to demos/temp/current.dm_71.
Couldn't write q3config.cfg.
SaveRecord(): failed to open system/records/ruined-ghost_mdf_cpm.rec for writing.
Warning: failed to open demos/temp/current.dm_71 for copy. (source)
^3Autorecord: demo copy failed.^7
Stopped demo.
Not recording a demo.
---End log---
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:40:59 PM by Scorpena » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2011, 06:15:12 PM »

And I dont understand, why other gamers doesnt have such troubles on same maps?
Also, why .pk3 file, which is simple  zip archive, conflicts with the program core up to crash in usual environment?
Why I have to find, try and delete it manually instead of receiving some standart program message, like "<example.pk3> map conflicts with program function <xyz>" in working defrag mod without silent core crash?  Undecided
I'm not a developer, someone else may answer better.
Anyway, inside a pk3 (zip) file there can be various kinds of stuff, organized in files and folders (textures, models, maps, bots, sounds, game logic...). When you launch the game, OpenArena loads all the stuff from the pk3s in "baseoa" folder (in both your installation folder and "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]homepath" folder), and from the pk3s in the folder of the current mod. All that stuff is put together, but what happens if inside different pk3s there are two or more files with the same name? Only the latest one is loaded (loading order depends from in which folder the pk3 is and from the alphabetical order of the pk3 files). This allows useful things like patches simply adding a new pk3 with a "higher" name that overrides previous stuff. But this may also bring to some problems: e.g. if you have a map that is designed to use a "test.jpg" texture, that is stored in pak0.pk3 file, but you have a pak1.pk3 file that has got a different texture called "test.jpg", the map will not show the one that the author intended. And if some pk3 contains some game logic modify, the risk of major problems goes up. Such problems are more probable when playing offline, since when playing online the "pure check" ignores pk3 files that are not present on the server.
See also (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods#Notes_for_Server_Administrators

Scorpena
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2011, 05:08:59 AM »

I'm not a developer, someone else may answer better.
Anyway, inside a pk3 (zip) file there can be various kinds of stuff, organized in files and folders (textures, models, maps, bots, sounds, game logic...). When you launch the game, OpenArena loads all the stuff from the pk3s in "baseoa" folder (in both your installation folder and "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]homepath" folder), and from the pk3s in the folder of the current mod. All that stuff is put together, but what happens if inside different pk3s there are two or more files with the same name? Only the latest one is loaded (loading order depends from in which folder the pk3 is and from the alphabetical order of the pk3 files). This allows useful things like patches simply adding a new pk3 with a "higher" name that overrides previous stuff. But this may also bring to some problems: e.g. if you have a map that is designed to use a "test.jpg" texture, that is stored in pak0.pk3 file, but you have a pak1.pk3 file that has got a different texture called "test.jpg", the map will not show the one that the author intended. And if some pk3 contains some game logic modify, the risk of major problems goes up. Such problems are more probable when playing offline, since when playing online the "pure check" ignores pk3 files that are not present on the server.
See also (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods#Notes_for_Server_Administrators

Thank you very much for your concern.
So, for now manual moving troublesome .pk3 files off the baseoa folder is the only way...
And as for your example, i hope that developers can implement some debug mode, which allows at first, full diagnostics, at second, using not last, but selected (checked) file (texture, model, map, bot, sound, game logic...) with the exact map in exact mod  - f.e. test.jpg from pack120beta.pk3, not from pack098.pk3 or pack126.pk3. Resulting settings can be separated in file or folder, one ini/cfg position for one map.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:26:55 AM by Scorpena » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2011, 06:47:15 AM »

Troublesome pk3s may also be in the mods folder.
About changing the behavior like you said, I suppose that it would not be possible for various reasons:
- This Pk3 management is the way Quake 3 was designed from its origin, and iquake3 and OpenArena follow it. Changing it may break compatibility with tons of stuff made until now.
- How to specify a map to use a specific version of a certain folder/filename? Calculating an hash control for each texture file, and store it inside the .bsp file? I suppose that would need to modify also the tools used to create maps (NetRadiant, BSPC, etc.) -with the map and bsp formats-.
- It would make harder to make patches (example: adding need to modify and recompile each map if you wish to change a texture. And what would you do if you do not have the required version of the texture and have no access to the map source to apply a different one and recompile? Well, this case is not easy to manage even now, but it would be even worse.)

I don't know how they mange this kind of problems in more modern games... but I suppose that for idTech3-based games the only thing to do is to rely in mod creators and server admins, hoping that they carefully think to (and test) what they do when put in additional stuff on their servers. (And map creators that add their own textures, to use "original" names, to minimize risk of duplicated filenames)

I don't know if there could be some way to make more debug info available (like the system trying to guess which are the pk3 files that clash)... but probably this question should be posted to the ioquake3 team (opening a bug ticket on Bugzilla), instead of the OpenArena team.

Anyway, I'm not a developer, I repeat...

PS: About your errors, are you sure the user account that runs OpenArena has got read/write permissions on your installation and "homepath" folders and all of their subfolders and files?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:04:20 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »

The bug of the grapple icon appearing as "missing" with some cg_weaponbarstyle values (using elimination_grapple 1 in elimination type) until you select it (see http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3578.msg35650#msg35650 for more details), seems to have not been fixed (even if in the wiki it was said it could have been already fixed).

Tested with OAX B50.
Strangely enough, now the hook "light rope" shader and the hook (not the weapon) model appear as missing (while in OA 0.8.5 are shown correctly) when you shoot it!

Maybe the problem with the red ammobar is fixed, instead (as reported in OAXB49 changelog).

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »

The bug of the grapple icon appearing as "missing" with some cg_weaponbarstyle values (using elimination_grapple 1 in elimination type) until you select it (see http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3578.msg35650#msg35650 for more details), seems to have not been fixed (even if in the wiki it was said it could have been already fixed).
The page never claimed it to be fixed. I just asked if it still existed before looking into it.

Tested with OAX B50.
Strangely enough, now the hook "light rope" shader and the hook (not the weapon) model appear as missing (while in OA 0.8.5 are shown correctly) when you shoot it!
Appears that fromhell used a model that does not exist in 0.8.5 and I did not notice and therefore did not include it.

edit:
About the light rope
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:59:19 PM by sago007 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »

So far, how many bugs pointed in this thread were fixed? And how many are still remaining?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »

This wiki page
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs
tries to act as a "recap" of bugs listed in this and other threads...

As you can see, some of them have been fixed, but there are various remaining...

PS: Sago or Fromhell, could you please fix the missing crosshair in anaglyph 3D mode, before the next OA release? Thank you!

Another important thing before a "final" 0.x version would be to provide the invulnerability powerup stuff.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:52:38 PM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »

Appears that fromhell used a model that does not exist in 0.8.5 and I did not notice and therefore did not include it.

edit:
About the light rope

:/

The grapple shader would be broken either way since precaching the grapple doesn't precache the rocket or ligtningbolt. My grapple stuff is in the SVN iirc and it's also coming to 088

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2011, 02:01:14 AM »

Fromhell, are you still sure with your 0.8.8 deadline date (is that the right word? Maybe I've said a stupid thing...)? Wouldn't it be better to estabilish a few things (important but quick enough) to be fixed before it?

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »

Maybe this bug has already been reported
I can't reproduce it at all time.

Scenario:

- I spec someone for some time
- then I press "Enter" to get back to free view
- my move keys are temporarily set back to WSAD (while I usually dont use that to move)

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »

If you want to add it to the list DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]here...

SooKee
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »

To be honest I'm not sure if this should be under "bugs" or "ideas/requests".

When running under Linux, OA outputs its console to the 'standard error stream' (STDERR). Could this be changed to the 'standard output stream' (STDOUT)? Or is there some reason it needs to be the error stream?

Also under Windows the console is not output at all. Is it possible to enable the console output to the standard streams (STDOUT|STDERR) just like it does in Linux?

A few people have wanted to keep game logs and it is not possible on Windows (except using condump which is not really very easy).

- SooKee QuakeNet: #openarenahelp
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »

On linux, you could probably pipe the stderr to the same stream as stdout (I've seen it done), but the default is to have them go to different locations because you want to be able to locate error messages when debugging.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Virus
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2012, 04:19:49 AM »

Found a bug:

Players can successfully vote for a  ridiculously  high timelimit. This ends the running game like voting a timelimt shorter than the game is running.
But after that it ends every game before it starts and thus changes map over and over and no play is possible.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: