Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse doesn't work  (Read 12201 times)
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« on: March 05, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »

I upgraded to open arena 8.5 on this computer and everything worked great for a while. Then one day the screen got messed up such that the red command prompt wasn’t entirely on the screen when I pressed it (the whole screen didn’t show and I couldn’t see most of the text to the left on the command prompt) and the mouse wasn’t working properly. If I moved the mouse it flickered off the screen and just disappeared without returning, if I started a game with the keyboard the mouse inside the game acted weird and unusable (the field of view would just move around in circles very quickly or it would act weird). I tried playing with the resolution and doing video restarts to no avail. I tried reinstalling the 8.5 patch, didn’t work. I deleted everything and reinstalled the entire OA without the patch, no luck. I deleted the q3config and everything OA related in the documents settings folder and in my OA folder and re installed everything without the patch, it still gives the same problem on this computer. I never had this problem on this (or any) computer before, I don’t know why it’s acting weird all of a sudden. It works fine on my other computer but now I’m afraid of doing an 8.5 upgrade on my other computer in fear of having this same problem again.
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »

Oh, I just figured out the mouse works fine if I make the game a window (ie: lower the resolution and set it to non full screen mode), everything only acts weird in full screen mode.

In full screen mode if I adjust the screen size I can make the entire window in the game fit on the screen in full screen mode (though  many of the options don’t fit on the screen in full screen mode including most of the red prompt) but the mouse still acts weird. It’s like it has a bias to move right, if I move it right it starts to rush right at an accelerated speed, if I start to move it left it still moves right but then the movement decelerates, eventually stops, and starts to move left slowly. It also has the same bias towards moving down. If I move down it accelerates downward and then I have to move up for a while for it to eventually move back up.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:43:53 AM by Corvette » Logged
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »

After doing a bit of homework it looks like a lot of people are having problems with games running on Windows 7 64 bit. I suspect everything was working fine until Microsoft did an update and now it’s broken. People on other forums with game problems recommended updating the direct X drivers. I tried, it didn’t seem to fix the problem.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 05:39:19 AM »

I got a x64 windows 7, running pretty fine here. Mouse acts a little different as when I boot XP (x32), but it does work fine.

Did you install any updates or programs recently?
Maybe you can try switching the openGL extension on or off, or several other graphics options.
Or can you make a printscreen of what's happening fullscreen, that's often clearer Smiley
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »

“Did you install any updates or programs recently?”

I didn’t, though Microsoft sometimes does its updates at random, it might have installed a MS update. I tried updating the video card and bios (after I posted yesterday that is, in order to fix the problem) and it didn’t fix the problem.

There was another thread about it here.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2719.0

Apparently OpenGL doesn’t support 64 bit Windows 7 or something? Not sure. Then again, this is an old thread, I would imagine that it would be fixed by now, but they seem to be experiencing almost the same exact problems. They suggested copying a file to another name, but someone else said it didn’t fix the problem, so I haven’t tried it yet.

“Maybe you can try switching the openGL extension on or off”

Not sure how to do that.
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:19:25 AM »

Screenshots

See how most of the screen dosen't show.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »

OpenGL can be switched by main menu > setup > system > GL extensions [OFF] | [ON]
Or if you need it, command line switch +r_glextensions 0 or something like that (forgive me if im wrong =) )

Maybe try another resolution? I have sometimes that i only see half the screen when I run OA two times at once, the thing doesn't work well with the resolution change.

Apparently OpenGL doesn’t support 64 bit Windows 7 or something?
hmm here it works.. Maybe re-download http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Getting_started#Windows
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 11:58:44 PM »

I tried different resolutions already, no such luck.

I also tried the GL extension thing after you mentioned it and it didn't work either.

I couldn't figure out the command you mentioned.

I wonder if I can make OA run using older OpenGL drivers or something? Not sure why it's acting up suddenly, it worked fine before and suddenly it just acted weird one day. I hope it's not my video card. Windows seems to work fine though.

Thanks for your help btw.
Corvette
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »

Ok, I finally figured out what the problem was. If you right click on the desktop and you hit personalize and you hit display and you set the settings to anything larger than “smaller - 100% (default)" it will ruin the screen and mouse in OA. I had set it to larger - 150% and it caused the problem. Perhaps OA can capture the setting upon loading, change it, and change it back when closed? Oh well, now if anyone else has the same problem they can solve it too.

Another thing that’s weird is that changing the gamma/brightness in OA also changes it on my task bar.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »

Ok, I finally figured out what the problem was. If you right click on the desktop and you hit personalize and you hit display and you set the settings to anything larger than “smaller - 100% (default)" it will ruin the screen and mouse in OA. I had set it to larger - 150% and it caused the problem. Perhaps OA can capture the setting upon loading, change it, and change it back when closed? Oh well, now if anyone else has the same problem they can solve it too.

Another thing that’s weird is that changing the gamma/brightness in OA also changes it on my task bar.
Interesting about the dpi-setting having that effect. It is likely the way mouse information is read... DirectX should normally bypass all these settings but apparently it does not.

The gamma thing is how it always has worked and not just in OA but in almost every game I have ever seen.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »

oh!!!!!! Then that is why I can't play openarena because of the weird mouse at my grandma's laptop! I set the DPI higher so she can read her email easier and without reading glasses Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: