Poll
Question: Enable black names? (read post first please)
Yes - 18 (46.2%)
oh well why not - 3 (7.7%)
yes, with some changes - 4 (10.3%)
preferably not - 5 (12.8%)
No - 9 (23.1%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: callvote enable_blackname  (Read 26534 times)
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »

Here's the solution to the servers/clans that want to be able to have black letters in their name. 

1. OpenArena is open-source.
2. The code for the names is server-side, and only server-side.   
3.  You don't even have to learn about compiling qvm's for a pure server if you do a wee bit of homework.   Set it up as a mod, and you can run sv_pure = 1 with a native binary for qagame. 
4. The client might never know the difference and never have to download a thing extra.

Now if you didn't get the hint, I'm saying mod it yourself.  Go on...don't be scared/shy, you can do it. I'm not gonna write a tutorial on how to code/compile, I assume you can figure that out on your own, BUT....here's what to change:

In g_client.c, in the function ClientCleanName

Code:
if(ColorIndex(*in) == 0)
{
   // Disallow color black in names to prevent players
   // from getting advantage playing in front of black backgrounds
   outpos--;
   continue;
}

See that code? Remove it. Recompile.  You are good to go. CLANS->MAKE YOUR SERVER SPECIAL.  Take advantage of the Open part of OpenArena. 

As Quake 3 was one of the most moddable and MODDED games in existence, I'm surprised more server operators aren't taking advantage of this fact.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 07:22:44 PM »

[formerly stupid stuff i wrote, because i was angry...]

just a few ppl are able to modify the sources and compile all fine.
maybe switching to aftershock could be an even easier solution...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:40:50 AM by Peter Silie » Logged
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:35 PM »

I'm stepping out on a limb with this assumption that most server operators for OA run/use linux...

If you can run linux, wel beside noobuntu, and setup a server you can figure out how to compile the source.  And if you use windows, you have the ease of Visual Studio...compile then smile...make your server your own
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »

If i would like to run a server on linux, i just would start oa_ded.i386 or the _64 counterpart.
on windows i would start openarena.exe.
What do i have to compile there? never done this - like all other server admins Wink
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »

Open nature but common needs, it's sometimes better to talk about the problem (if it is perceived as so) upstream than to have a local branch/fork. And fortunately there is this agreement, because you can do anything with something open, including stuff which would spoil the game.

Parenthesis, it's quite simple to compile when we run linux, reading the OA Wiki page about it is enough, and the paragraph shouldn't be long.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: