Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Banner on Site page  (Read 25320 times)
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« on: April 13, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »

I have an idea. Its rather simple. How about we add the name OPENARENA to the main page? The banner just has the logo and two nice model images but no name of the game. Its feasible to do.

P.S. My apologies if this post sounds very patronizing

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
TheJoker
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »

Haha that is a pretty good idea, I assumed it had some kind of information that the game was called that but it doesn't punched, or at least just a short description to inform people that it's a game site they're on...

Thanks

Kyle.

Thanks

Kyle
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

I just took a look at the front page and it struck me that there isn't a single screen shot on the frontpage and the top menu does not include a screen shot option either.

A single screen shot to show what the site is about is quite important, only if you already know about OA would you even bother to read as much as  single line of text.

One screenshot on the frontpage, just a small one is all that is needed to show what the game is about.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
HITMAN

Cakes 6

The doctor is in the house!

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »

I just took a look at the front page and it struck me that there isn't a single screen shot on the frontpage and the top menu does not include a screen shot option either.

A single screen shot to show what the site is about is quite important, only if you already know about OA would you even bother to read as much as  single line of text.

One screenshot on the frontpage, just a small one is all that is needed to show what the game is about.

There is a screenshot link on the about section that takes you to the forum to look at screenshots from user's created topics. :-/ Not really a good way to show screenshots.

Personally, I wouldnt add screenshots of the game on the main page. Keep it in its own section. But yes, definitely shows screenshots on the OA page. Maybe even videoes embedded from youtube. It could be the Multimedia section :-)

h!+m@n * d/hit/p + kozak6 / CloudStrife - (Orochi + {C}easar) = a whole buncha screenames
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »

1) I think a "remake" of the website was planned, it should take your suggestions into account Wink

2) While I'm at it, I'm sorry for offtopic but, I see on the front page:
Next Release: 0.8.6 patch
ETA: Apr 2010
=> Should that date be taken seriously ... ? or is it another "pressure date" (false release date ?) I wish there was a quick fix for OA 0.8.6, even in april, because actually this version is left in a not so satisfying state, which doesn't help people to migrate.

3) I notice 0.8.1 is still often downloaded (Half of the guys downloading 081 don't download 085.), in particular from external websites which didn't update. I don't know if using patches to update is a successful approach in that matter. In front page we see: 0.8.1 + patch, but it's not clear this patch brings to version 0.8.5. Usually, patches are named like: 081to085.
The main referal is a spanish-speaking page about a game named K.O.S. secret operation, and the publisher didn't give the right link ... On the right page (OA 080), he used the wrong screenshot, but the right link, fortunately. It has already been mentionned, some way to check the latest version from within the game (and a "do not bug me again" option) may help.

Feel free to split if I'm too offtopic ...

Todo: Walk the cat.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:24:48 PM »

the game needs a news feed on the startup screen to display updates and stuff like that. if the game can't autoupdate itself it at least has to tell the user there are new versions available.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »

1. Newcomer John is searching a free multiplayer game.

2. John finds OA and comes for first time on openarena.ws:".....mmmm what's the site about???...ah there is something written: "OpenArena is a community-produced deathmatch FPS based on GPL idTech3 technology.
There are many game types supported including Free For All, Capture...." bla bla bla.....I don't have the nerves for it....I leave the site"

So a simple screen on main page would be good, but an intro or videotrailer of OpenArena would be fantastic.

3a. John found other games than OA and play them.
3b. Next day John go again on oa.ws, looked on Media and found what's the game is about. He says "interesant game" but "what's the name of the game?".

On main site should be standing "OpenArena" instead of the logo only.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:17:21 AM by adriano » Logged
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:03:21 PM »

Why hasn't this happened yet? Whose in charge of the website?

I want to see the words Open and Arena at the top of the website in big letters below or above the logo.

Ok?

You really can't go wrong doing this...

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 02:20:47 AM »

Why hasn't this happened yet? Whose in charge of the website?

Me? Two reasons the design sits unchanged on my harddrive:

1. There a lot of flaws of the website (boards logo should lead to the homepage, some boards colors mix up wrong, brushed metal header and glossy bars look bad), so instead of fixing this one, I tried to make another one. But a new design should be the final one, so probably it would be better just to fix the errors with this one.
2. I'm a challenge junkie, I enjoy trying my hands at new things, that's the reason I started skinning and now "mapping" instead of fixing the site. But if you visit my site in my signature and click the donation button on the right, I'll lap dance for ya' Smiley! Even a single bottle of beer can keep me motivated in this hot summer.

But I will try to fix the errors in the next weeks, I promise.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 02:40:57 AM »

Thanks for the info Udi.

I took a look at that thread and the picture of the new site idea and I like it.

Donations eh? Maybe one day... Wink

*Logan*

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »

Yeah I'd donate, or at least try to find a way. Remarkable actually, paying for a free game while I never ever buy any games (only download and get for bday usually). Only once before i bought a game myself because i wanted to play Tongue (which was CnC3 btw)
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:55:22 AM »

Ya I never buy games either. Last game I bought was some shareware game like 10 years ago.

Now I download. Smiley

Donating though to help keep a free project moving along is not that bad though.

I imagine that's what your doing here eh UDI?

*Logan*

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 02:56:12 AM »

Donating though to help keep a free project moving along is not that bad though.
What can Udi do with the money to bring OA forward?  Can someone explain?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 03:26:45 AM »

Get some capital, then buy a donuts factory in the shape of the OA logo.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 03:30:38 AM »

I imagine that's what your doing here eh UDI?

Yeah, but I'll do it anyway. Smiley

What can Udi do with the money to bring OA forward?  Can someone explain?

OpenArena is an open source project, which means that if you contribute something, someone else can use it (modify it, distribute the modified work) later, even outside OA. The thing is that most of the open source developers work in their free time, so they do what they like or want to do _after_ their paid job. But with money you can 'hire' the developers to do what _you_ want. Different developers need different amounts, and there are developers who say they will only work for money, but I'll do the design _anyway_, so donation is not a must, but a gesture. If you like my work you can donate, if you don't like it, you won't. Also you shouldn't think about big amounts, $1-$5 or 1€-4€ is more than enough, imagine as buying one or two beers for your buddy Smiley.

Also there are better places to put your donations than my pocket, probably I would spend the money on the OpenGameArt.org subscription ($5 a month). But again I won't turn commercial, and will work on the webpage, textures, shaders (lately tried my hands at skinning and mapping) etc.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 04:59:34 AM »

Good to know Udi. Maybe I'll donate enough for some beers for ya sometime.  Grin

*Logan*

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »

Good news. Actually, I think that what OA misses the more to get more widespreed is only communication and marketing, there's no technical or competitors (don't say QuakeLive, it can't even run mods or custom maps).

Considering the above, and for the sake of usability and consistency, QUAKE LIVE is not intended to be an open platform that allows for map and mod customization at will.

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-11311.html
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 02:40:04 AM »

Good news. Actually, I think that what OA misses the more to get more widespreed is only communication and marketing, there's no technical or competitors (don't say QuakeLive, it can't even run mods or custom maps).

Considering the above, and for the sake of usability and consistency, QUAKE LIVE is not intended to be an open platform that allows for map and mod customization at will.

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-11311.html
From the same post on QL forums:
We've implemented network code that includes anti-lag similar to popular mods
But when I played QuakeLive, I didn't feel to have "unlagged" (hitting someone with hitscan weapons was difficult with an high ping)... somebody knows if they have a console command to enable delag mode?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 05:26:40 AM »

From the same post on QL forums:
We've implemented network code that includes anti-lag similar to popular mods
But when I played QuakeLive, I didn't feel to have "unlagged" (hitting someone with hitscan weapons was difficult with an high ping)... somebody knows if they have a console command to enable delag mode?

They didn't say that they implemented unlagged or delagged code, but "anti-lag" features ("similar to popular mods" = CPMA), so they probably added the 100 ms lag hack from CPMA.

This means that you are fully delagged up to 100 ms, but above, you will lag as everyone else. That's the problem we ran into when starting the OACL2010 league.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:46 AM »

This means that you are fully delagged up to 100 ms, but above, you will lag as everyone else.
This means that the gap between low and high pings is even increased!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

hm no the gap 100ms decreased right? Seems weird if delag would be turned off entirely after 100ms instead of just supporting delag till 100ms.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 07:51:04 AM »

This means that you are fully delagged up to 100 ms, but above, you will lag as everyone else.
This means that the gap between low and high pings is even increased!

No because you still get the 100 ms delag hacks, even if you are above. But this means that for example :

Players 1 has 95 ping : fully delagged for all weapons
Player 2 has 165 ping : results in a 65 ping

Here is an excerpt from the CPMA documentation :

cg_lagHax <-1|0> (default = -1)
    A combination of adaptive prediction and an updated version of the
    famous "50ms hack" we introduced way back in 99v6 that also does small
    amounts of lag compensation. Capped at 100ms no matter what

On a sidenote : a good link about Timenudge and sv_fps :
http://www.promode.org/?p=316
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

Timenudge GENERALLY does actually do the right thing if, but ONLY if, you use a value less than the time between snaps. If you set it to anything more than that however (e.g. -60 on an sv_fps 20 server) then timenudge ITSELF doesn’t work properly.
As most admins leave sv_fps to the default (20) I guess everyone should standard set timenudge to -19 or something no?

What’s ironic about this is that higher-fps servers, which are overall a Really Good Thing, are actually MORE detrimental to TN users than the normal 20-fps ones, as they (potentially) increase the frequency of the bug. For LPBs, that’s more than compensated for by the genuine reduction in effective ping that higher sv_fps provides, and since they won’t be nudging by 40+ anyway the bug won’t usually trigger on their machines.
Hmm not that familiar with the stuff, can someone tell me if he means that sv_fps 20 is better for low end connections than for example 40? Seems weird because you can just set /snaps to whatever you like it to be for your connection.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 05:49:34 AM »

Hmm not that familiar with the stuff, can someone tell me if he means that sv_fps 20 is better for low end connections than for example 40? Seems weird because you can just set /snaps to whatever you like it to be for your connection.

You can't set snaps in CPMA, the mod (server) determines how many snaps the client gets and not the client (and sv_fps is set to 30 by default in CPMA).

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »

why that? Undecided
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: