Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mapping for openarena with blender  (Read 6751 times)
erachude
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 10, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »

hi,

first off, nice game. great to see a good gpl fps at last.  :-)

i'm a fan of blender and i'd like to try my hand at mapping. i'm reasonable competant with blenders interface, but game mapping is a bit different, so i've got a few questions....

-am i right in thinking that openarena has it's own textures?

-does that mean i can use those textures in blender when i'm making the map?

-if so where can i get these textures?

-if i included other (gpl) textures in a map that didn't exist in openarena would i be able to bundle them in the map so that it worked in the game?

thanks.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:33:14 PM »

The first thing is that, Blender doesn't have a really good .map exporter (this could have changed from the last time I checked.)
And it can be a bit difficult making maps. (Unless you are creating landscapes etc and you export the to .ase or something like that.)

If you just want to create maps I would suggest GtkRadiant 1.5 > www.qeradiant.com

It is possible to create maps using Blender but my personal preference is to use GtkRadiant and use Blender for models.

1) Yes openarena has its own textures. All GPL'ed if I'm right?
2) In short yes.
3)If its GPL'ed it should be fine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 02:35:19 PM by kit89 » Logged
Sindwiller
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »

-does that mean i can use those textures in blender when i'm making the map?

Unless their seamless, yes...

-if so where can i get these textures?

Check out the .pk3 files in the baseoa/ directory. They're actually just .zip files Wink

-if i included other (gpl) textures in a map that didn't exist in openarena would i be able to bundle them in the map so that it worked in the game?

Sure! If you mean, adding custom textures; this works since Doom 1 (or even Wolf3D?) Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: