Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio problem using mods. Missing dll? (OpenAl32.dll, uix86.dll) Or what?  (Read 33546 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: April 15, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »

Hi. I'm using OpenArena 0.8.5 under Windows XP.
In the main game the sound works (even if I see an error: Failed to load library: "OpenAL32.dll" in the console), but when I use the "mods" menĂ¹ to switch to any mod ("missionpack" included), the sound stops working at all. I'm trying from two different computers. I don't see more errors in the console (only in one computer i saw another error about it could not find uix86.dll)...

I don't know why this happens, but I just noticed that if I launch the mod directly from windows' command prompt (for example, openarena.exe +set fs_game missionpack or openarena +set fs_game NIQ3 or openarena +set fs_game alternatefire), the sound works.

Anyone has got some ideas? :-/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:34:26 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »

Yo,

You may try to install OpenAL, though I'm not sure it would solve your problem.

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx ( oalinst.zip )

I don't know why this happens, but I just noticed that launching the mod directly from windows' command prompt ...
... am I missing something or you didn't finish your sentence ? Tongue
I suppose the conclusion is sound works if you start the mod directly from command-line.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:36:22 AM »

Thank you, i fixed my sentence.

I will try to install OpenAl and then I will update here. Meanwhile, if someone has a more specific hint...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »

[...] I don't see more errors in the console (only in one computer i saw another error about it could not find uix86.dll)...

This is produced because you should have seta vm_ui "0" in your config or you are passing +set vm_ui 0 to the commandline ... it's harmful because if it doesn't find the dll , the game falls back loading the qvm file.

Just remove any reference of vm_ui from your config or from your commandline if the mex is still annoying you.

For the rest I think Cacatoes has correctly focused about the sound problem .

If you don't want to use OpenAL you should set s_useOpenAl 0 in your config so the game to use SDL backend.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »

Just a moment... what is vm_ui?
And what's the difference between "set" and "seta" commands?
Ah, I noticed another dll error, about qagamex86.dll...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »

Well, now I have installed OpenAl. When it is enabled, if I switch to another mod, I can hear sound. If I turn it off and switch to another mod, the sound stops working.

Good workaround (thank you guys), but anyway I think it should work also without OpenAl, so I think this is a bug I should report to devepers... I reported it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs#Sounds]here, is that okay?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:09:57 PM by Gig » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »

If I understood correctly, seta (like "set archive"), when used once the server configuration has been read (once the server started) will overwrite the settings in your config file. While "set" will only temporarily set the value, and it will be reset next time the server is started.

These DLL errors may not be a big deal if you don't experience problems within game, there are many warnings which you can ignore.

VM_UI is, I'm not sure, the User Interface you have once you started the mod, because mods can change it (they load another Virtual Machine, which can be stored in some .pk3 file).

It's nice it solved your sound issue. Keeping OpenAL is a good idea, as it's supposed to be better than using the SDL backend, it also has more features like it enables ingame VoIP.

I think you did well to report it there, though Sago is the main person to maintain that list, and it's better to get confirmed bugs before listing them (means: discussing them). Usually people post a thread on the Technical forum and that's enough. I started a bug thread for 085, but there is no established way to track bugs.

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 02:34:01 PM »

Edit: sorry, double post, but not drunk.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »

Thank you. Can you link that thread about 0.8.5 bugs?

I'm trying to add my little help to the project, but I'm not a Q3A coder/mapper. I find that the Wiki site lacks of many important informations, and I see there are few users active there. I created the page DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods]Manual/Using Mods. Can you check it? I'm Italian, so my English can contain errors... and I only have Windows, I cannot add any info about Linux or Mac OS...

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 06:16:55 AM »

Just a moment... what is vm_ui?
And what's the difference between "set" and "seta" commands?
Ah, I noticed another dll error, about qagamex86.dll...

I wanted to mean that the mex of missing uix86.dll and also qagamex86.dll is NOT harmful because the engine falls back loading the VM as qvm ( unless a mod is coming only with a dll and not as a qvm , like excessive plus )

dll errors are caused when those 3 cvars ( vm_ui , vm_game , vm_cgame ) are set to 0 and there's not any dll in the gamepath. The default value is 2, meaning to load the VM as qvm.

For the difference between set , seta , setu ... ect ... just read this post : http://rainbow.furver.se/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1914
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »

Thank you. I re-used that information DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console]here (rewording to respect the copyright of the guy that wrote that post).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:15:18 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 05:20:05 AM »

I wrote DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenAL]a page for "OpenAL" in the wiki. Can you review it and add more info, if you have them? For example, Cacatoes told that "it's supposed to be better than using the SDL backend, it also has more features like it enables ingame VoIP.". This means that without OpenAL, the Voice chat function (Setup -> Controls -> Misc) will not work at all? Can you write about other features?

PS: We should add DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/OpenAL]more links to that page in other pages of the Wiki... any ideas?

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »

[...]
For example, Cacatoes told that "it's supposed to be better than using the SDL backend, it also has more features like it enables ingame VoIP.". This means that without OpenAL, the Voice chat function (Setup -> Controls -> Misc) will not work at all?

Yes , VoIP doesn't work without OpenAL .

A high rate ( 25000 ) is also strictly needed to get VoIP working as setting s_alCapture 1

Still about OpenAL ... the linux version is often packaged starting by this version which is an improved version supporting ALSA, OSS , Solaris , Pulseaudio ... sound backends and distribuited under LGPL.

A windows version is also available.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »

Okay, I created the page DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Voice_chat]Voice chat on the Wiki. Please, check it (I used your informations there, but now I can't try if it actually works... or maybe there is something more to say).

And, could you please place your sentece about the Linux package in the page DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenAL]about OpenAL? I don't know how to change the words and I can't just copy-paste it there, that phrase is your copyright...

In general, I think that more knowledge as possible should be reversed from the forums to the wiki... (obviosly, when it is useful)...

Half-Nub

Cakes 10

Also known as Dots & cookies

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »

Okay, I created the page DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Voice_chat]Voice chat on the Wiki. Please, check it (I used your informations there, but now I can't try if it actually works... or maybe there is something more to say).

I used the guide made by |oaN|BillGates. It's pretty much the same as yours. It also worked for me and a friend.

http://www.team-oan.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=159
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »

I used the guide made by |oaN|BillGates. It's pretty much the same as yours. It also worked for me and a friend.
http://www.team-oan.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=159

Strange, I can't see the volume meter... :-/

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »

Hi guys, have you found where is the bug with SDL audio? For testing, remember to disable OpenAL both from the main game and from the mod, to be sure it will try to use SDL audio...

Bye!

PS: off-topic: With my poor English, you sure know I'm not from US or GB... I'm from Italy. Is it correct the title of the page DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods]Manual/Using Mods I created on the Wiki? I'm not sure...

PS2: more off-topic: What are "cakes" in this forum, net to the posts counter?

Mr. Grey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

Hello, I have the same problem. If I select a mod in the menu all sounds are gone. I switched openAL on and off and I tried it again but there is no sound. When I connect to a server which is running a mod, the sound works pretty good.

I have Windows Vista 32bit.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »

Do you have DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenAL]OpenAL downloaded and installed?

If you already started that mod before installing and enabling OpenAL, maybe the mod-specific q3aconfig.cfg file has still s_useopenal disabled... Try launching OpenArena, \set s_useopenal 1, launch the mod, \set s_useopenal 1 (so it should be enabled in both your cfg files), exit OpenArena, launch it again and then start the mod.

Or you may use the other workaround, starting the mod directly from windows command line: "openarena.exe" +set fs_game <modfolder>

Mr. Grey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 06:16:15 AM »

Try launching OpenArena, \set s_useopenal 1, launch the mod, \set s_useopenal 1 (so it should be enabled in both your cfg files), exit OpenArena, launch it again and then start the mod.
I am not sure if i have installed OpenAL but this  suggestion doesn't work for me.

Or you may use the other workaround, starting the mod directly from windows command line: "openarena.exe" +set fs_game <modfolder>
I tried it and the sound works fine.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 06:29:14 AM »

When some of my friends were enabling VOIP, they had to install openAL (from here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx ) and one of them had to change s_alDriver as well.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 07:04:40 AM »

I am not sure if i have installed OpenAL but this  suggestion doesn't work for me.
My previous post contained a link with how to check if you have it installed. Anyway, you can download and install it from the link by WingedPanther.

However, I'd like to know if this bug with SDL sound happens only with OpenArena or with any ioquake3 derived game. I hope devs will fix it for the next OA release, but if it is related to ioquake3, we should told about it to ioquake3 developers...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:52:52 AM by Gig » Logged

Mr. Grey
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 02:42:56 AM »

Ok now i have installed the openal and it seems to work right now :-)

Thx for your help. I hope the bug with the SDL will be fixed.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 04:21:41 AM »

Hmmm... i have this problem too i noticed the other day, so instead of fixing it I'm just not going to use mods =D

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 06:04:54 AM »

so instead of fixing it I'm just not going to use mods =D

No comment.  Angry The two possible workarounds are easy and some mods are great.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: