Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chess III Arena  (Read 12189 times)
grant
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: April 03, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »

Hey all,

I wrote a chess program a while ago that used Q3A models for the pieces.  I recently learned about openArena, and ported it to work with the openArena models.  So now people can play without having to obtain models separately.

I just wanted to stop by and take a moment to thank everyone on the team for all their hard work, and let them know there's at least third-party project that is re-using the artwork.

The game is kinda lame compared to a deathmatch, but if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.grant-olson.net/ocaml/chess-iii-arena

-Grant
Martian
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »

I know gnuchess, becouse it comes with winboard (xboard).
I like chess Smiley
TheJoker
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:52:36 PM »

Haha awesome, I'm not a big chess fan but his is pretty creative o.O thumbs up to you Smiley

Thanks

Kyle
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »

Anyone remember Battlechess?
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:41 PM »

Anyone remember Battlechess?

I do. I think I saw it demoed at Babbages back in the day.

The Quake Terminus site appears to have a battle chess Quake mod in its archives. Never tried it myself.
Minion: Battle Chess
grant
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking of BattleChess when I wrote it.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »

Nice idea. I'm downloading it. I added a link to it DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/MD3_format#External linkshere[/url], okay?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grant
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »

Totally okay.  Thanks.
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »

I am downloading it now..can't wait to try it.  Q3A and OA chess is a good idea.

Have you tried the old Archon Q3A mod named ARQ....it is cool...from the board to the battlefield.

I have not tried ARQ yet with OA, but me and my friend have been playing it against each other for years.  If you like Archon and Quake 3..ARQ is a must have mod.
Game not over,
SlippJigg

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:29:20 PM by SlippJigg » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 02:56:53 AM »

ARQ? I found a description here, but -at least for now- I can't find a download link... :-(

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »

Gig,

I put a copy of it here, it is in the ARQ Folder
http://65.60.247.209/Quake3-OA-Mods/

Slippjigg
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:42:52 AM »

Thank you.
But I tried ARQ and it seems not to work properly with OA: all characters are the same and I don't see the weapon in their hands... and I can't join a side... console talks about bot problems...
Do you know a workaround?

I uploaded your file here, so anyone will be able to download ARQ again (well, I will have to write it in some web page in order to have it indexed by search engines!).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:07:19 AM by Gig » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »

OA forums are indexed by the search engines regularly.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »

OA forums are indexed by the search engines regularly.
Good. Anyway another web page containing the link could help the user searching for the mod... :-)

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »

I tried ARQ with Q3A. Really a nice mod.

But I wasn't able to use it under OpenArena. It loads the game, but I'm not able to play. I suppose it needs bots from Q3A (each character has its unique weapon). Someone can find a workaround?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:22:17 PM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: