Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Music allowed?  (Read 25643 times)
tosk1
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: May 06, 2010, 02:37:03 AM »

Had to use that subject header just to confuse people ;-)

I've been making music using Music & Music 3000 by Jester Interactive on the PS1 & PS2 respectively. I doubt very much that the license I'm granted in owning the software is compatible with the GPL. However I thought I'd ask before I offer some of my tracks up for using in OA

Would my music be any use?

If not, I also make music on the Game Boy using LSDJ. I'm fairly sure that is GPLable, but would such primitive music be suitable for OA? Thoughts would be appreciated

Dreamcast at car boot sale - £4
Quake 3 disc from 2nd hand shop - £3
Dreamcast Keyboard and mouse - £8
42" LCD TV - £400

Having an awesome old school Q3 gaming rig - Priceless
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »

Saw this for Music 2000: http://www.jesterinteractive.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=688
Seems it's incompatible with gpl, you can't sell and so on ...
Maybe it's different if you use external samples from which you have copyright.

About LSDJ, I think it's GPLable too.
Sure, 8 bit sounds are particular .. ("gift", for those who never listened to such stuff), you can still make us listen Wink I'd say it's not impossible to make suitable music for OA with any kind of source sound.

Todo: Walk the cat.
tosk1
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:21:22 AM »

Top choice Cacatoes Smiley

Top ole. When I get away from a work PC I'll post a link to some of my stuff (wont be in the correct style for OA, but at least it'll give you some idea)

Dreamcast at car boot sale - £4
Quake 3 disc from 2nd hand shop - £3
Dreamcast Keyboard and mouse - £8
42" LCD TV - £400

Having an awesome old school Q3 gaming rig - Priceless
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »

chiptune stuff is totally rad, and some darker-sounding chiptunes could definitely work in OA imo
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:58:59 AM »

Personally,  I always  turn off  the  music in  any  FPS.  I never play  with music on  in  Quake 3 and I'm  glad that  the current version of OA doesn't have any.

Music does not help you win! It's all about sound effects. It's clearly very important  to be  able to hear whats going on  around  you.

Music  just doesn't work in such  an environment.

No, It doesn't  set the "Mood"  for anything.  Except your death because some dude killed you cause you  didn't hear him come at you.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »

Music can affect your emotions, and emotions can affect the gameplay

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »

Music can affect your emotions, and emotions can affect the gameplay

I agree completely, this is especially used well in a big budget RPG.

This is a game though where all you do is run and gun pretty much. You don't need a big emotional score for that.

*Logan*

alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »

Everyone has different opinions of music in games such as FPSs. I personally cannot live without it (UT2004 has amazing music, which really gets me in the game), as I get bored without it (feels too much like all I'm doing is "running around and shooting stuff," I like to be more immersed in the world, even if it is a deathmatch FPS).

But your opinion is perfectly valid too. I simply think an option for music should be in Open Arena, and if developers agree, I'd like to work on several tracks (as I have been).

So what do you say? /Optional/ music - yes, no?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »

Sometimes I feel I've stayed in a silent room for a too long time, then I play OA but it remains quite austere without music.
I'm not so much hunting little sounds because I can do without while playing CTF.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »

I agree that music should at least be there as an option for those who want it. I'm gonna turn it off so fast when it shows up though.

Actually, I'll give it a listen but I won't be playing online with it on.

*Logan*

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »

That's why Quake had ambient tracks and most of Quake3's music were quite muted industrial pieces. except for the dreamcast version where they must use the happy loud versions and more happy music

I don't know what kind of music OA would fit with, but if themed consistency were focused on.. could have futuristic maps playing techno stuff, etc.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 01:20:45 AM »

That's why Quake had ambient tracks and most of Quake3's music were quite muted industrial pieces.

Yes, I really like the ambient sounds that Quake 3 has. The creaks, the chanting, etc.

I know OA has a couple places like that too, but not nearly enough.

If anything, I hope to see more of those atmospheric sounds over music.

*Logan*

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »

It doesn't matter the tool or app you use to create the sounds/music with-as long as the file format is one supported by Open Arena (which you may have to convert to) AND the license of the content of the sound.  See below for your situation. (marked with a *)

If you are sampling a sound/music already created, the owner of that sound/music must give you explicit authorization to make, modify, or distribute it or derivative works of it-UNDER the GPL v2 terms-or PUBLIC DOMAIN.

As far as format...well the license question is irrelevant because OA only plays sounds/music formats which are license compatible, ie: ogg/vorbis, wav, NO MP3's. 

*The only way the license for the tool or app you use can affect whether or not you can use it for OA is if the license explicitly prohibits you from doing so.  If the license says you can only use the software to make sounds for PS/PS2/PS3 games then you shouldn't use it to make sounds/music for OA.  This is YOUR responsibility to have read this license and to understand it.
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

Painted nails and long haired... I'm not a witch!

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 06:26:43 PM »

You can always feel free to make music for OA or not, personnaly I want music in it. I'm not playin' with music but sometimes...
If the players don't want to play with music, they can turn it off!
                                                           Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: