Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial Day Murder and Mayhem  (Read 14674 times)
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« on: May 07, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »

To celebrate the USA Memorial Day Weekend, I would like to announce a FragFest of exceptional speed and pain.  This 2 hour event is open to anyone who wants a little OpenArena fun.  The 5 game types will be team based, so players of all skill level are welcome.   

When: Sunday, 30 May 2010.

FragFest Map Rotation:  Nine (9) custom maps will be played and each map will be played twice.  The 1st time a map is played all weapons will be enabled.  The 2nd time the map is played only the following weapons will be enabled: Gauntlet, Off-hand Grapple (Hook), Machine Gun, Shotgun and Rail Gun.

Each map will have a time limit of 6 minutes followed by a 1 minute rest/warm-up period.  Total FragFest time is 125 minutes (2 hours and 5 minutes).

For time and other details visit: Memorial Day Murder and Mayhem

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:56:48 AM »

This sounds interesting, especially since  the  date  is coming up soon, but can you  put more details here?

Specifically,  what's the server  name, IP, and  time of day that you  are arranging for this to occur?

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »

This sounds interesting, especially since  the  date  is coming up soon, but can you  put more details here?

Specifically,  what's the server  name, IP, and  time of day that you  are arranging for this to occur?

Logan, thanks for your interest.  The complete details are a bit long, IMO, to post at the OA Forum.  Therefore, I posted a short notice here and also at the Forums of the most active Clans.  However, the full details can be found here ===> Memorial Day Murder and Mayhem.  Also, please note that the server (IP and port provided at the link) will be created specifically for the event.  Therefore do not look for it until a few hours prior to the FragFest.

This 2 hour event is open to all OpenArena Players regardless of skill level.  The game types will all be team based and while various Clans will be represented it is not a Clan vs Clan Event.

To keep the event convenient for players from both sides of the Atlantic it will be held on Sunday, 30 May, at 3:00PM New York time.  Last year we had decent participation from Clans such as supeR,Bots, Evil, GoD, and of course, WASP.  This year, based on feedback from those clans and others, we should have a bit more.

Except for 2 or 3 European Servers, events like these are one of the few opportunities for Clans-less players to play or spectate a server that has more than a few people.  So, I hope all those players who visit this forum and complain about the abundance of bots and lack of humans in OpenArena come out and support the event.

For players who live in Europe, example Germany, worrying about their ping, please note it will be about the same as mine - between 95ms and 125ms.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »

Sunday  afternoon  sounds like a  great time   to hold this event.

I  am  from Canada and I'm used  to a ping of about 30 which i get all the time on  my favourite server, digichalk  0.8.5.

I have to admit, if my ping is worse  than 100 I won't be staying to play for long but I'll definitly try and join up for a  few games.

I hope you guys are  using 0.8.5...

I'm not a clan guy,  I think clans  are pretty lame actually,  but I'll  join you guys and see how things go. Smiley

Thanks for the  info, obviously it's not hard to click a link to  check into this elsewhere, but I'm usually at work when I post here and I don't have a lot of  time. :p

*Logan*

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 02:11:55 AM »

Sunday  afternoon  sounds like a  great time   to hold this event.

I  am  from Canada and I'm used  to a ping of about 30 which i get all the time on  my favourite server, digichalk  0.8.5.

I have to admit, if my ping is worse  than 100 I won't be staying to play for long but I'll definitly try and join up for a  few games.

I hope you guys are  using 0.8.5...

You will probably have great ping since my Servers are based in Albany, New York - just below Toronto.

As for the version of OA.  First, this event will be based on the Excessive Plus Mod (version 2.0a).  Second, we are still using 0.8.1 but players using 0.8.5 connect to our various servers without any issue that I know of.  We will upgrade all 9 of our OA servers to 0.8.6 shortly after it is released.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 03:07:18 AM »

Ya, I imagine I would get a good  ping if the  servers are  near toronto.

Unfortunatly,   as soon as I  read that  your using an excessive mod, I lost interest. Are you   seriously using an excessive MOD  for this? That's a total no  skill MOD,  why  would  you do that?

*Logan*

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 04:06:23 AM »

...Are you   seriously using an excessive MOD  for this? That's a total no  skill MOD,  why  would  you do that?

Sucking at Excessive Plus or any other Mod for that matter usually prompts players to say stuff like that.  However, that's your opinion which, similar to your stated views regarding Clans, I vehemently disagree.

Regarding the FragFest, many players who don't usually play E+ will be there because they want to play with others and because Mods permit games like OpenArena to appeal to a diverse group of gamers.

Unlike most Mods, Excessive Plus contains a powerful scripting engine that can alter its gameplay in almost unlimited possibilities.  Consequently, when ppl say they don’t like E+, they are really saying they do not like one or more server configs out of dozens of existing user created Server Game Style configs.  It is because of E+'s extensibility that the OpenArena Clan-League (2010) will now be based on it.

http://www.excessiveplus.net/forums/thread/using-excessiveplus-for-an-openarena-league

http://oa-cl.ucoz.org/forum/75-298-1

E+ can behave exactly like baseoa (right down to the last setting and physics).  To test this, setup a server and load the baseq3 config or ask an Admin to demonstrate this for you.  Similarly, it can imitate Defrag, CPMA, etc.  And unlike those Mods, E+ has an active development process and a version designed specifically to work on OpenArena.

Of course, you are free to continue feeling as you do, but you won't convince me otherwise and I'll be having fun on the 30th.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »

My understanding of the excessive mod, is you  start with all weapons, unlimited ammo,  and generally you can't hurt yourself.

This is what I have tried in  quake 3 and OA for excessive.  Your saying it's not "excessive"  like that?

*Logan*

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 05:10:13 AM »

My understanding of the excessive mod, is you  start with all weapons, unlimited ammo,  and generally you can't hurt yourself.

This is what I have tried in  quake 3 and OA for excessive.  Your saying it's not "excessive"  like that?

If I understood well, ExcessivePlus was at the beginning an extension of the original excessive mods, but now it has grown up into a full featured mod that you can finely customize for almost all your needs (even making your own weapons modifications and simple mods).

So yes, it's not necessarily "excessive like that", you can configure it to be just like normal OpenArena, although I don't know how the servers for this event will be configured.
Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 05:46:19 AM »

So yes, it's not necessarily "excessive like that", you can configure it to be just like normal OpenArena, although I don't know how the servers for this event will be configured.

Well,  that's the big question now  isn't it?

*Logan*

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »

My understanding of the excessive mod...

Be careful or you will confuse other players.  Excessive is a Q3 Mod that also works on OA.  I have always hated it.  Excessive is just like baseq3/baseoa in terms of movement, weapon power, player health, etc.  The differences are that you start with all weapons and ammo and the rate of fire for all weapons is completely insane.  IMO, Excessive is all about SPAM.

Excessive Plus (E+) was based on Excessive back in 2001 but quickly diverged.  Initially, the main differences were that the weapons were made very powerful which required that players start with slightly over three times the normal health points.  Then, by 2003, virtually all servers had eliminated the insane rate of fire.

I have been playing E+ since 2004 and have never seen an E+ public server setup like Excessive.  Nonetheless, in homage to the Excessive Mod, the Excessive Plus Mod still contains 5 configs (excessive1 to excessive5) that are integrated within the pak file.

...you  start with all weapons, unlimited ammo,  and generally you can't hurt yourself.

This is what I have tried in  quake 3 and OA for excessive.  Your saying it's not "excessive"  like that?

I am saying it doesn't have to be.  What most ppl don't understand about E+ is that there is no right or wrong way to setup an E+ Server.  The entire stated purpose of E+ is freedom of choice for the Server Admin.

That does not mean that certain styles are not more popular than others.  The "Plus" style configuration is one of the most popular setups.  Typically, you start with all weapons, have triple the usual Q3/OA health points and regenerate those points, have unlimited ammo, can perform multi-jumps, don't sustain self-damage, Rail Gun and sometimes other weapons are InstaGib weapons (that is, 1 shot 1 kill), etc.

However, even within this popular "style" of E+ there are huge variations.  For every item above that I said is "typical" there are "Plus" style configs where you don't start with all weapons, where you can't perform multi-jumps or are limited to a few, where you don't have unlimited ammo, and where the Rail Gun is not an InstaGib weapons, etc.

Besides the "Plus" style, "Rail Only" and "Excessive" are also popular styles.  The Excessive style does not replicate the Excessive mod but does use its physics (such as that weird sideways movement when you jump) and does not permit multi-jumps.

While the freedom of E+ may seem chaotic it is manageable.  First, the E+ Mod Developers, unlike fromhell, don't get annoying requests to increase or decrease weapon and variable settings.  This is so common here at the OpenArena Forum that a separate game (OAX) is being developed to accommodate these people.  If fromhell packaged E+ and a few other Mods with OA, she/he could drop the OAX project and have more resources to focus on OA.

Second, there are config standards for the official ranking of Clan matches.  This ensures a level playing field for both Clans.

If I understood well, ExcessivePlus was at the beginning an extension of the original excessive mods, but now it has grown up into a full featured mod that you can finely customize for almost all your needs (even making your own weapons modifications and simple mods).

Yes.  Weapon and variable modifications were available since I started to play E+ in 2004 but now many other features have been added.  In fact, one on my issues with E+ is that there is not sufficient documentation regarding all of its features.  Especially the new and revamped variables added in version 2.

...although I don't know how the servers for this event will be configured.

It's my event so I will be using my configs.  :-)

PlusD is a semi-professional configuration that offers a moderate number of multi-jumps, enables all weapons but increases the damage of lesser weapons, enables a moderate Anti-Camp, makes projectiles from the RG and GL bounce/ricochet, sets a 2 second time-to-live on the Grenade Launcher projectiles, supports additional settings for CTF, RTF, 1FCTF, PTL and TAG, and departs from other Plus style configs with the Rail Gun and BFG settings.  In addition to the typical grenade/rocket slides (player movement via weapon) the Rail Gun has a decent self-knockback, but use it sparingly as you only spawn with 50 rounds of rail ammo.

Rail+ is a semi-professional configuration that offers the maximum number of multi-jumps.  In addition to the Rail Gun and Gauntlet, the Machine Gun, Shotgun, and off-hand grapple/hook (/bind "your-key" +button5) are also enabled.  Lesser weapons do a bit more damage and a moderate Anti-Camp is enabled.  Projectiles from the Rail Gun bounce/ricochet, additional settings for CTF, RTF, 1FCTF, PTL and TAG are enabled, and while the Rail Gun does inflict 300 damage points it is not quite an InstaGib weapon as the default health on most E+ Servers is 333 points.  In lieu of the typical grenade/rocket slides (player movement via weapon) the Rail Gun has an excessive self-knockback and 200 rounds of rail ammo.

Other published configs for E+ (please note that most Server Admins/players never bother to share their configs).  http://www.excessiveplus.net/forums/thread/the-weapons-cfg-library-for-2-0a
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:29:17 AM by WaspKiller » Logged

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »

First, the E+ Mod Developers, unlike fromhell, don't get annoying requests to increase or decrease weapon and variable settings.  This is so common here at the OpenArena Forum that a separate game (OAX) is being developed to accommodate these people.  If fromhell packaged E+ and a few other Mods with OA, she/he could drop the OAX project and have more resources to focus on OA.
Cheesy To correct you, OAX is the same thing than OpenArena. The difference is OAX is often ahead of the OA release because it's the development version. OAX QVMs are then reintegrated into baseoa.
What would benefit OA would be ExcessivePlus to be released under GPL Wink (so that its features are integrated, and so that this whole project can remain under a same license, which is handy and well known in the free software world - linux distributions and so on).
Thanks for the clarification on Excessive/ExcessivePlus, I wasn't aware of these things.

Todo: Walk the cat.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »

Cheesy To correct you, OAX is the same thing than OpenArena. The difference is OAX is often ahead of the OA release because it's the development version. OAX QVMs are then reintegrated into baseoa.
What would benefit OA would be ExcessivePlus to be released under GPL Wink (so that its features are integrated, and so that this whole project can remain under a same license, which is handy and well known in the free software world - linux distributions and so on).
Thanks for the clarification on Excessive/ExcessivePlus, I wasn't aware of these things.

Thanks for explaining OAX.  I thought it was crazy for fromhell and partners in crime to go off on a tangent with a different product but now it makes sense.

As for E+ being released under the GPL you would have to ask the lead developer.  He (WaspBeast) drops in here a few times a month.  However, while Beast would probably be receptive I have no idea how the original E+ Coders (easy and edy) would react.  Next year will mark the 10 year anniversary of E+.  Perhaps they will be ready to go OpenSource then.

Logan

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »

Thanks for the info about excessive.

*Logan*

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 04:21:26 AM »

As for E+ being released under the GPL you would have to ask the lead developer.  He (WaspBeast) drops in here a few times a month.  However, while Beast would probably be receptive I have no idea how the original E+ Coders (easy and edy) would react.  Next year will mark the 10 year anniversary of E+.  Perhaps they will be ready to go OpenSource then.

If these coders are only a few, and are still contactable, here are a few news which might help them to consider:
- ioquake3 has been opensourced some time ago (including QVM code ?). Well ok, that's not because your dad followed some path that you have to do the same thing.
- such news: Four Indie Games Going Open-Source! ; Phoronix is rather neutral when bringing the facts, but some people were much more enthusiast (including the indie developpers) for what happened. Projects get more attention, and free software enthusiast are always willing to help. Same goes for 0.A.D, Ryzom... I'm not sure E+. would have the same echo, but for sure some more interest.
- The development process is not the same, opensource ones are interesting IMO. It could be joint efforts with OA, especially since Sago turned opensource... nah, I'm not sure there would be something common out of it, but the least would be some features could be shared.
- OA and E+ could come in a same package, both projects would benefit from each other's playerbase.
- There are also a few opensource mods for Q3/OA, but AFAIK there hasn't been much exchange between these projects and OA.
- Much more to say on these topics .. Tongue

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »

Final reminder for the Murder and Mayhem OpenArena FragFest.

Hope to play a map or two with you tomorrow (Sunday, 30 May).

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »

hey, you can come today there: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3747.0

We try to gather people right now :p

I'll try to come on your server tomorrow. Smiley

WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »

hey, you can come today there: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3747.0

We try to gather people right now :p

I'll try to come on your server tomorrow. Smiley

Couldn't make it today but I'll be there next weekend.  France is 8 hours ahead of my time, so the only time I would probably see you and other Euro players would be on the weekend.

I'd like to see some of those game types since they don't exist in E+.

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

Saw this, then Felt some counter-propaghanda was needed Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: