Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] game crashes on exit, also sound dies after a few seconds of launching  (Read 5901 times)
carn1x
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 20, 2010, 07:00:32 AM »

Ubuntu 9.10, 0.8.1 and 0.8.5

Ok so everytime I exit OA, the game will hang as soon as I tell it to quit (includes typing quit in console)

I ran from terminal to see what the last entry was before killing the process and it's always:

Closing SDL audio device...

I get this problem on Urban Terror most of the time, and I get it on Nexuiz rarely.

Also, sometimes when I boot the game up I get about 5-10 seconds of very poor quality audio and then the audio just cuts out. Can't see anything in the terminal however that looks like an error regarding this.

From googling I take it there are a number of other people who've hit this problem on Linux.

I know it affects other q3 based games, so I'm not complaining at OA. However OA is the only one I want to play so that's why I'm asking here!

Thanks for any help Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:23:11 AM by carn1x » Logged
carn1x
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »

Ok, solved via: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/224399

although for me the package was called libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

it seems to have solved both issues, although only the exit bug was 100% reproducable.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:26:01 AM »

I hope someone may find and fix your problem (but maybe it should be told to ioquake3 developers?).
There is also another problem related to SDL audio (read here), but I don't know if it is also under Linux (i tested it under Windows), ad if it happens also with other ioquake3 derived games. I hope someone could fix this and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]the other bugs.

Meanwhile, you could try to install and enable DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenAL]OpenAL...

(I wrote this answer before your second post)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:48:29 AM »

Ok, solved via: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/224399

although for me the package was called libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

it seems to have solved both issues, although only the exit bug was 100% reproducable.

thx so much!  Smiley
I also had audio problems and occasional crashes with openarena on ubuntu karmic 9.10. this is how I fixed it:

1. Installed
libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

2. used
Code:
s_useOpenAL "0"
in my autoexec.cfg (you can also change the value in your q3config.cfg if you don't use an autoexec)

--> fixed.

if you also have this problem of crackling sound and game-freezes on exit, but you already messed up your soundsettings, when trying to fix it, you might follow this guide, to get working sound settings back:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4928900&postcount=1

sidenote: the bug seems to be, that kubuntu and xubuntu don't use pulseaudio, but only ubuntu does, so the repository has libsdl1.2debian with a standard dependency to libsdl1.2debian-alsa. this means ubuntu has broken sound some times as it misses libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio but unly has libsdl1.2debian-alsa.
if they would change the default dependency of libsdl1.2debian to libsdl1.2debian-pulsaudio istead of libsdl1.2debian-alsa, it would mean kubuntu an xubuntu would be broken instead of ubuntu ... so there's no hope of having this bug fixed anytime soon.
its less a bug, but an organizational error - having several distributions rely on different dependencies of the same package.
...can't say anything about openAL. Falkland also suggested this solution here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3458.msg31926#msg31926 but i did not quit understand it back then ^^

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: