Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Manual  (Read 95081 times)
Bane

Cakes 5

« on: May 20, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »

I don’t know if I am the only one noticing this but it seems more and more new players are using the handicap system. Is there a way in the next version we can put a notice that says it effects them and not there enemy because after talking with some they seem to think it effects the enemy and not them. Also I was wondering if it would be possible to include a small manual that tells things about the game like about the items and what they do, the objectives of each game type and the hazards such and voids, lava, and slime. I feel that including this stuff would help make the learning process much easier.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »

I have just added a notice to handicap.

I don't know many players that read a manual at least not until they are into the game.

About gametypes I wonder if it would be possible to have these "Attack", "Kill", "Destroy", "Go here", "Take" and "Defend" icons over objectives. Like in CTF: Your own flag would be marked "Defend" or "Go here" if you have the flag. Enemy flag carrier would have a "kill" icon, dropped flags a "Take". Own flag carrier would have a "Defend". Possible taking ones selected/assigned objective into account.

Could be turned off with a cvar after having learned the game.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »

I've thought about a help function too, but didn't know any other way than through cvars. In the end it became this (topic on our forum), but it's not very usefull if you don't know the way commands work.
There should be a help button in the main and ingame menu I think.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »

I really don't think that the handicap option should be in the menu, tbh.

It's not like most newbies will ever need it, and the people who do need it can google the relevant cvar.

The number of people accidentally enabling this and then getting slaughtered with their 80% handicap is too high, and when you try to point it out to them, they usually don't know what you're talking about.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:28:46 AM »

i agree with hellokitty - why is it even in there? i know quake 3 has it - but obviously too many new players think that it's beneficial for them :/
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 01:25:08 AM »

Help created by RMF is not bad..
You add the downloaded text to your %appdata%\baseoa\q3config.cfg file... then launch OpenArena and type /help in console. But I noticed that, after I exit OpenArena, all the text added is automatically removed from my q3config.cfg file... :-/ I don't know why.

Anyway, it is possible to put the whole "OAhelp.txt" downloaded file to baseoa folder, launch the game, type /exec oahelp.txt, and then you can type /help.
It gives a couple of errors (maybe some sections are too long or there is a line feed that disturbs? "/helpcmd" stops before its real end)... RMF, could you check this?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:56:36 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:11:15 AM »

hm could be some are too long, I'll check it this afternoon or evening (now at school)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:07:25 AM »

q3config.cfg is always overwritten each time you start the game.
You can use autoexec.cfg instead, it should do the trick.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 09:02:44 AM »

You can use autoexec.cfg instead, it should do the trick.
I don't have such file in my OA installation folder or %appadata%\openarena folder (or subfolder). I tried to rename help file to autoexec.cfg and put into baseoa folder, but if I start OpenArena and then write /help, it doesn't work...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »

Then create it.

EDIT: Create it in openarena\baseoa.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »

Then create it.

EDIT: Create it in openarena\baseoa.
As I told before, I renamed RMF's file and called it "autoexec.cfg". I tried it under installdir\baseoa and also under &appdata%\OpenArena\baseoa... but it didn't work...

UPDATE: Fixed... usually I show files' extensions in Windows, but some days ago I changed it to make a try... and I didn't remember about that. So I renamed OAhelp.txt to autoexec.cfg.txt and it appeared as autoexec.cfg. I've been very stupid... :-)

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »

the whole thing should get an update actually. I did take a look yesterday and changed some things but actually forgot to reupload and post Sad Can't do it now either cuz on mobile. I promise that if i will think of it i'll post tomorrow with all updates Wink
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 06:16:36 AM »

Thank you. I think it should be added to OA official releases, from now on. But "soil" (not an offence, simply I can't find the right words!) autoexec.cfg with such long text would be good? Or maybe it could be better to write down in the "readme" file "if you want in-game help, please type /exec oahelp.txt and then type /help"?

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:13:42 AM »

In autoexec.cfg:
Code:
exec "helptext.cfg"
Problem solved Smiley

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 07:25:28 AM »

@Gig, hm the thing is a few kB, think you should be able to load the ram that much without melting your house down no? Tongue
Oh and this is nothing compared to the wasted space used by sounds I've just seen.

I'm now checking if all works and then uploading..

edit: download http://easy-upload.nl/f/VgDRQMuP
Just put in baseoa and should work ^^
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:38:52 AM by RMF » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:24:02 AM »

I would like to have a separate file for my custom configuration and one for help (not for system resources, but for being more human-friendly, following a logic in files. A separate file can be simply replaced with a newer version without need to open and edit che autoexec file, manually dividing help from user configuration): Cacatoes' solution seems nice. RFM, do you want to try to pack it in that way?

You may include a readme similar to this:
Here is a help file you can read from OA's command console. You can copy "oahelp.txt" to your "OAinstallation\baseoa" folder for all users, or to your "%appdata%\OpenArena\baseoa" (Microsoft Windows) for your user only.
You can load the help file manually or automatically:
- Manually: launch OpenArena, pull down command console, type /exec "oahelp.txt". Then type /help.
- Automatically: if you don't have one already, put "autoexec.cfg" file included into the same folder. If you already have an "autoexec.cfg" file, edit it with a text editor and add a line with "exec oahelp.txt", then save the file. In both cases, launch OpenArena, pull down command console and type /help.
What do you think about this?

PS: RFM, thank you for that guide. I would like to see you expanding the manual on the wiki site... you could give a great improvement there... I'm doing what I can to help offering a good help coverage (especially for beginners) there, but I'm not so prepared as other people here....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:37:55 AM by Gig » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »

It's RMF not R-FM broadcasting or something lol.. on other forums my nick is often lucb1e, also mistaken for luc1be or other even weirder variants. And lastly my real name (Luc) is often written wrong as well - or rather it's more often wrong than right (Luuk or something). I can imagine something with lucb1e being misread or 'misremembered' when you read it fast, but why is it with all my names the same... :/
Anyway, what's the problem with putting it in one file? I usually go for the 'clean' method; one file and that's it. Not one file (autoexec.cfg) redirecting to another (oahelp.txt or whatever). IMO kinda doing double work.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:23 PM »

Sorry for mistyping. Since we are talking about a manual, "RTFM" acronym is in my mind... and confuses me about the order of the letters... ^_^

The problem with 1 file is that I think that it would be better if autoexec.cfg it used to actually store your extra configuration, not an help file. As I told before, an independent file could be updated simply replacing the whole file, instead of manually copy-paste the text to your custom autoexec.cfg.

Anyway, now I think a thing... wouldn't be better if fromhell integrates your guide direcly inside OA source code? I know that in that case one would be able to update it only with a next release of OA, but using a config file is "dangerous" because allows people to overwrite the guide simply mistyping a letter. If I write "/help ò" instead of "/help", I will overwrite the help with the "ò" character, isn't it so?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:25:45 AM by Gig » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »

hm it'll set the var to that weird o (cant make@phn) but not sure if itl'' stay changed. Also it might give the right text as 'default'.
About updating, well sure it'll be easier. But i actually don't know ppl who are keeping settings in autoexec.cfg, and if there are they know enough about what it does to understand howto update the help without loosing all. I don't expect this thing to be updated that often, but fromhell may see what he/she (idk) does with this in which way.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 02:17:26 AM »

I tried with autoexec.cfg and with /exec oahelp.txt, and if you change that value, then it says the help "default is...". And (at least typing simply /help <erroneus key> - I didn't try with set, seta, sets...) changes are not saved to the help file.

Anyway, I'd like if fromhell may see this thread and say what he/she (I don't know) thinks.

Another thing: in the beginning of this thread, someone talked about "handicap" feature. So I created DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Player_settings]this page on the wiki. Could you please check it (and fix if needed)? For example, for the section about "name", I'd like to say all the color codes ("blinking" included), someone knows?

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 07:45:24 AM »

Seems your description of handicap is very correct Wink

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »

For example, for the section about "name", I'd like to say all the color codes ("blinking" included), someone knows?
Code:
#define S_COLOR_BLACK "^0"
#define S_COLOR_RED "^1"
#define S_COLOR_GREEN "^2"
#define S_COLOR_YELLOW "^3"
#define S_COLOR_BLUE "^4"
#define S_COLOR_CYAN "^5"
#define S_COLOR_MAGENTA "^6"
#define S_COLOR_WHITE "^7"
#define S_COLOR_MENU "^8" (the orangeish or the new blueish one depending on version or maybe non-existing)
There are no blinking in baseoa. "^8" did not exist in Quake 3.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

Thank you.
There are no blinking in baseoa.
Maybe they were in OSP Q3A mod? Or maybe I just remember wrong...

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 01:04:50 PM »

That was OSP or alike.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:46 PM »

Okay. DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Text_colors]Manual/Text colors page created on the wiki. :-) Thank you Sago.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: