Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Manual  (Read 95055 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »

Yep Smiley Where is it going to be posted?
What do you mean? :-/ I mentioned in the previous message the two pages where I'd like to put the link (and how to use it... unless you want to publish a .zip file and include a txt help file (README.TXT?) with how to install and use the in-game help)...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2010, 12:51:40 PM »

What about taking a look to the full 0.8.5 changelog?

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3548.msg30774#msg30774

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »

What do you mean? :-/ I mentioned in the previous message the two pages where I'd like to put the link (and how to use it... unless you want to publish a .zip file and include a txt help file (README.TXT?) with how to install and use the in-game help)...
oh wait.. I read in a rush, and links have the same color as any other text (and aren't underlined or anything till mouseover).
Ok I checked the links. Not sure where it would fit on the manual page, or if it would actually fit at all. For the FAQ, well, exactly where you pointed something could be written Smiley

unless you want to publish a .zip file and include a txt help file (README.TXT?) with how to install and use the in-game help
Nah it should just be autoexec.cfg with online instructions. Zipping and then having to open a second file to install it (while it could also be on the page where you just downloaded it from) seems only more work for the user.

But actually I just had an idea; whynot get the manual itself in the wiki on an own page? Everyone can edit, add, and fix any mistakes without having to download a fresh copy, edit that, reupload it, and everyone having to synch it again. Only problem would be howto get the download autoupdated (or rather after a moderator or something approved the changes).

Thanks Neonknight for the link.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2010, 01:25:54 AM »

oh wait.. I read in a rush, and links have the same color as any other text (and aren't underlined or anything till mouseover).
I see the links with a slightly different color from standard text (dark blue instead of black) and, more important, they are always underlined. Taking a quick look to my forum options, I don't see an option to control it... maybe is it a setting of your browser? I use Firefox, and there it should be under Tools -> Options -> Content -> Colors (or something similar, my menu is in Italian).

But actually I just had an idea; whynot get the manual itself in the wiki on an own page? Everyone can edit, add, and fix any mistakes without having to download a fresh copy, edit that, reupload it, and everyone having to synch it again. Only problem would be howto get the download autoupdated (or rather after a moderator or something approved the changes).
It could be nice, but there are some problems:
- The wiki site is much less active than the forum... :-( Few people actually writes there (I feel lonely, there...). The only developer that I sometimes see there is Sago...
- I don't know a way to have such download autoupdated. We could anyway use a wiki page as a "sandbox" where people can fix and expand it, but it may be difficult to be sure about the X characters variable limit, and in the end we need someone to update and upload somewhere the resulting file.
- We could tell people to create that .cfg file by themself (using a text editor copy-pasting the text from that page on the wiki to a text file), but since it's intended also as a beginner's guide, wouldn't it be a bit complicated (also because .cfg is not the standard file extension for text files)?

I don't know what to do...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2010, 07:39:55 AM »

I see the links with a slightly different color from standard text (dark blue instead of black) and, more important, they are always underlined. Taking a quick look to my forum options, I don't see an option to control it... maybe is it a setting of your browser? I use Firefox, and there it should be under Tools -> Options -> Content -> Colors (or something similar, my menu is in Italian).
Most likely I use the old skin. Screenshot: http://easy-upload.nl/f/zXA9KeRb

Few people actually writes there (I feel lonely, there...).
I actually only look there when I need something, so don't often come across errors or things to be improved. But when I spot something I always improve it.

- I don't know a way to have such download autoupdated. We could anyway use a wiki page as a "sandbox" where people can fix and expand it, but it may be difficult to be sure about the X characters variable limit, and in the end we need someone to update and upload somewhere the resulting file.
I am working on a page dedicated to this. It's not a website, just a little page where everyone can edit it. We'll have two versions, the publicly edited one and an approved one by someone with the password. --if it all works out like i want it, but I expect so--

We could tell people to create that .cfg file by themself
Nah I know the trouble with the windows 'hide known extensions' function. About two days ago someone tested a program I made (beta), and he had to enter the filename for the input file. There was a file let's say abc.txt in the program folder so he entered that and it could not be found. What appeared to be the problem, he had that function on, and the real filename was abc.txt.txt. A great example why it should be auto-disabled with the first windows update but Microsoft doesn't listen to me Sad

.cfg is not the standard file extension for text files
By default it had some Microsoft Office icon here, not sure if it'd hide the extension as it did ask me what program to open it with first time I tried to open it.

I don't know what to do...
Let's just put the version we now have on the wiki, and also put a link to the page I'm building (ETA this evening (now 15h here) or tomorrow).
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2010, 03:53:02 AM »

Ok here's my modifier:
http://ioclan.site11.com/oamanual/
Todo:
- last saved datetimes for both versions
- maybe a history for the files (especially the unapproved one)
- little bit of graphics
- suggesions?

I won't be able to work on it much more till monday though, going to a lanparty this weekend and we're gaming all the time with like 5hours of sleep both nights combined. Any hour of sleep I can catch I will, and as the rest is gaming I probably won't work on this Wink I should be getting my stuff now actually, went about 90mins over schedule finishing Sad

edit: oh and I didn't betatest everything for bugs. I tested the basic functions ofcourse if what I programmed worked like I hoped it would, but I didn't test anything twice (after modifying another part of the code for example) or test any combinations. So if you spot any bugs please report Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:33:13 AM by RMF » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »

Veeeeery nice! :-)
Almost a small home-made wiki! :-)
A suggestion could be to hold an history of the "unapproved" versions, so if someone realizes he did a mistake after having saved, he could load a previous version.

Anyway, I feel it could be very difficult to track changes, because there is no a "diff" (very difficult to create, I suppose) function like in a real Wiki, that points out what changes from the previous approved version.

I will not be able to do extended tests in the next days: I'm going to go on holiday, so I will not be on the forums for about 8-10 days. See you later!  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:43:54 AM by Gig » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2010, 04:32:54 AM »

Yeah a difference function is too hard for me. I could at most point where the first change is (which line and which position), and if two files are the same. History and modify times are (hopefully) going to be made monday.
Added some graphics to the todo list btw (current looks very plain). I totally suck at it, but a little bit should be possible.

Have fun on holidays Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:21:29 AM by RMF » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »

RMF, what happened to the "manual develpment page"? The whole ioclan website has gone!

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »

yeah i know Cry

Lost 2x1tb harddrives this summer, and on top of that my account at 000webhost got deleted (which contained mostly any php script i ever wrote).
I didn't actually think anyone would notice, but you seem to so if you want i could just rebuild it. Would have an old version of the manual though, the site backup was on one of my harddrives...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2010, 03:25:37 AM »

Probably, it is not worth the effort to re-create the whole web edit interface... The manual was almost ready, and we can do it using the forum.

Reading this thread backwards, it seems to that the latest version you uploaded here was in this post (dated 12 july), but the download link doesn't work anymore (it seems that easy-upload.nl has gone, too!).
On my PC, I found two files where the last modify date seems 11 july 2010, and one where the last modify date seems 12 july 2010. I attached them here. Maybe you have a later version...

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2010, 07:10:17 AM »

(it seems that easy-upload.nl has gone, too!).
Knowing easy-upload, it'll be back shortly.

Maybe you have a later version...
I don't have any version anymore, as I said I lost both my harddrives (one was a backup of the other, but they both broke within days from each other so I didn't get the time to re-backup).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »

RMF, did you take a look to the files I attached in my previous post? Do you remember which version was the latest?

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »

Well the from 12-07-2010 has version number 016, the other two 015. I guess that's the newest Wink

Btw, I've been trying to reach the guy from easy-upload.nl, but seems he's on holidays or has no internet. He isn't responding at the forum and a couple of people have tried to reach him (half the DutchGamemakerCommunity's games&files are down now too lol).

edit: He said today (12 'o clock CET) he was going to look into the problems, had no idea what it was (weird error he said).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:36:22 PM by RMF » Logged
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »

i haven't tested yet (cellphone), but they say easyupload is back online. Was something weird with the dns.
Will download the lastest version and compare with the one you had tomorrow Smiley
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »

The thing which always works in 081 as the manual states all is written for OA0.8.1 Smiley
And as that is the double ^ it will remain as it is. Poor RMF decided Tongue

Thanks for the table though. It's clearer what is possible in which version now, no matter what's going in the manual. cake++;

edit: started on an 085 version. Only did the color thing so far, but I'm looking for other changes atm (going to look at the news and development section in a second).
Updated downloads: 081 - 085. Unfortunately same filename, might be changed but then users will have to rename it. Think it's better to get different filenames but your opinion please Smiley
Just looked at these versions, the 081 is also version 016 so think it's the same Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »

Okay... do you think you will give a final re-read of it and then add a link on the Wiki site? I don't remember if I had some suggestions to improve it at that time, maybe scroll this thread back...

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2010, 10:33:30 AM »

I'll find some time this evening Smiley
edit: oh crap forgot this.. Tomorrow then *puts it in the agenda*
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:53:57 PM by RMF » Logged
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2010, 10:37:25 AM »

Just realised the game competition I'm participating in ends this tuesday, so kinda rushed through it and didn't read everything. Made some minor improvements on a few things in the 081 version though and read back the topic a bit. Think most things were in or decided not to be put in.
http://easy-upload.nl/f/t3d4IKT0
Mirror: http://updo.nl/file/8da4f053.cfg
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »

Put it here with a little bit explaination:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual#Advanced_information
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »

As promised, you got your cake!

But I'm sorry, I just found an error...

section HELPMODES:
you say that gametype 2 is tournament or tourney.... wrong.
Gametype 1 is tournament, aka 1vs1 or tourney.... gametype 2 is single player deathmatch (do not use in skirmish or multiplayer modes).

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

http://easy-upload.nl/f/qMn7ABLX
http://updo.nl/file/d3e1f329.cfg

Also updated the manual page.
Thanks again Wink
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:37:34 AM by RMF » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2010, 11:46:16 AM »

I downloaded it, but it still seems 017, and with the error...

PS: when updating the link on the wiki, please update also the version number (I wrote it there, with small fonts, to let the users know that is the current version).

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »

hmm weird.. I'm quite sure i uploaded the right version, but appearently not. Will fix tomorrow (writing this on mobile).
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2010, 12:38:26 AM »

hm odd, it seems the file wasn't saved or something. Didn't see any warning for unsaved changes on closing.
Oh well I'll re-edit.

http://easy-upload.nl/f/dalCnzGq
http://updo.nl/file/c2e0efcf.cfg
Tested this time, can't be wrong Smiley

edit: Updated wiki, with the version numbers, and tested ^^.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: