Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is the lazy admin of [Z] Normal CTF server ?  (Read 11097 times)
faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 23, 2010, 05:52:43 AM »

wouldn't it be time for an update to 0.8.5 ?
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »

nope.

(nah im not the admin but i don't think it's time to update servers - our IO^CLAN server is also still 081 and with a reason)

what is the problem with it actually? You can play on 081 servers if you have 085.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:09:26 AM »

There is a [Z] 0.8.5 server, actually, and it's not very popular. I guess that's why the others have not been upgraded yet.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »

Like with supeR,CTF 0.8.5, noone was ever there and they now just kept it 081.
But still @faoa:
what is the problem with it actually?
faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »

there was an annoying player which I (and others) wanted to kick, however he kept changing names etc. and I typed \serverstatus which crashed my OA ... Rest In PEACE!

so and what is your reason for living in the past (if I may ask Wink ?

never saw the [Z] 0.8.5 server, probably because I filter empty servers.
also I don't think this is very smart, since all humans are lazy, so as long as there are enough player on old servers no one will update... (although I think most ppl. have already).

btw (and slightly OT):
those "new" forum smileys are like an acid attack on the retina, I would prefer the old angry.gif here...
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »

our reasons:
-we don't have namechanging lamers
-i dislike the namechange limits cuz it not only affects cheaters&lamers
-we dont have to lookup the command for normal physics (=125fps) and if you wanna play around with 333 you won't need rcon to change
-not everyone has 085 yet though that counts only half
-there arent updates for mac users anyway
-our clannames are black which is raped in 085
-upgrading & rebooting takes time from our host (he hosts for free as a favor but i don't have shell access)

so in short 081 provides in all our needs and 085 doesnt.

And your reason is only because someone kept changing name? Why you think clientkick is made? Smiley
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:16:44 AM »

Clientkick wouldn't work either, it's flawed. kick mechanism in 085 is much more efficient: it works, and if you clientkick, it looks up the name and writes it in color.
That's funny because I thought most people like to rush on new versions of softwares (or anything, I'm like that with OA).
It's true you have more work as an admin, but it's the price for gamers' simplicity.
davidd is not lazy at all, he simply made different choices Wink

Notes:
- there are updates for Mac Users, as anyone else.
- never been bothered by name changing limit, but I agree in the principle, I don't like "default limits". They are set to be efficient, but it may be better to set them quite large, so that admins are responsible of choosing the balance between more protection/more annoyance for regular players. Well, I'm not sure about this point.
- Orange is sweet Smiley
- gain shell access Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »

Clientkick wouldn't work either, it's flawed. kick mechanism in 085 is much more efficient: it works, and if you clientkick, it looks up the name and writes it in color.
That's funny because I thought most people like to rush on new versions of softwares (or anything, I'm like that with OA).
Usually clientkick works. And rushing to new things is usually for ppl who can't understand that the new iphone is far too expensive to buy at release day Tongue (or they just have too much money)
faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »

our reasons:
-we don't have namechanging lamers
Are your refering to your clanmembers or to the ppl playing on the server? Because for the latter there are definitely some (thankfully only a very few)...

And btw how do I get the clientid for clientkick, I thought via serverstatus, no?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »

And btw how do I get the clientid for clientkick, I thought via serverstatus, no?
Serverstatus does not give the clientid and never has.

You can spectate and use followclient to guess the id.

In 0.8.5 you can use /clients

Also 0.8.5 always uses the clientkick and never kicks by name. If "callvote kick NAME" is called the server will lookup the id for NAME and call "clientkick ID". It then look ups the name for the id to display on the screen.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »

serverstatus makes a good guess though, for me it's been wrong only once.
And that we dont have namechanging lamers is cuz noone is ever at our server and cuz of that we actually dont bother to take pwd off after we played lol
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 03:04:13 AM »

@sago007: thank you very much for these clarifications, but then what does represent the id in serverstatus ? Is it simply flawed ?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:14:10 AM »

but then what does represent the id in serverstatus ? Is it simply flawed ?

It is a numbered list:

could as well have been a bullet list:

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: