Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i make a server?  (Read 84168 times)
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« on: May 25, 2010, 04:39:46 AM »

How do i make an online server? that's basically all I'm asking
Thanks  Wink

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:39:13 AM »

Not so easy if you're a total beginner for this.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Server_Setup

Running Linux eases a bit the job.

Todo: Walk the cat.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »

hm well to answer your question directly (for windows): forward the port 27960, run oa_ded with +set dedicated 2, then run some map (map oasago2) and it should be up
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »

Port 27960 UDP, right?

Off topic: what's the outgoing port when connecting to the master server?
Off topic 2: what's the difference between \dedicated 1 and \dedicated 2? (And are there more values -not counting 0-?)

PS: to PWNAGE, some other info DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer]here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:39:01 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »

@Gig, sometimes you can find these infos yourself, searching the web or this forum.

* 27960 UDP, right.
  * Outgoing port is 27950 UDP.
  * Been talked about in some forum posts, IIRC dedicated 1 has no effect and acts like dedicated 2.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 03:17:56 PM »

With the 0.8.5+ binary dedicated 1 and 2 are different again 1=LAN only (no broadcast to master server), 2=Internet (broadcast to master server)

There are nothing offending in my posts.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »

Do i need to pay for anything?

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »

lol nope that's the whole good thing about OA. It's opensource and completely free!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:17:11 AM »

@Gig, sometimes you can find these infos yourself, searching the web or this forum.
Well, you merit an explanation: I'm spending days and nights of my life to improve OpenArena manual on the Wiki site (that still lacks of many informations), so every little help from other users here is very appreciated. For example, tonight I wrote DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Unlagged_Rocket_Rail]this page, and updated a little DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer]this one, and it took me much time. More time I spend searching around the web for informations, less time I have to update the wiki site. Players more experienced than me can answer these simple questions in few seconds, then I can use them to update the site. And who, other than the project developers, may know better OpenArena, its features and its differences with Quake 3?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:01:48 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:48:52 AM »

LOL I'm not the smartest  Huh so does someone want to help me my doing a step by step instruction on how to make a server
e.g. like Step1: open oa_ded or something
thanks

ALL Help is Appreciated

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:03:52 AM »

@Gig,
For efficiency sake, hehe, I understand. Of course I'm not accusing you of being lazy. It's just usually on a forum you try to avoid redundancy, so that one post remains the reference on a particular subject, that's why we use post-its, and that's why we link to previous threads. At least that's what I try to do on forums I administrate, but not every forum (this one) may follow that logic.
The point also is, if you don't make these searches yourself, then it is likely someone else will make them instead of you, we can forget things too, in particular when they are precise technical points.
Also, a wiki works on a voluntary basis, and we're all aware of its existence, but if we don't participate it's likely because we don't have the will, whereas on a forum it's hard not to answer to an open question, even on not so important matters like "what do you think about that wiki page ?". Seems forums are not so talkative and try to remain efficient too Wink.

LOL I'm not the smartest
That's what I was fearing Cheesy
I'll try to answer anyway:

1) Create some shortcut to oa_ded.exe (right click on it)
2) Edit the Target line of this shortcut.
3) Make it look like "C:\...\oa_ded.exe" +set dedicated 2 +map oasago2, and press OK.
4) Run the shortcut, you're done, normally the server started.
5) Now it's time to play, start the game, and try to connect to the server locally (open console in game ESC+SHIFT, then /connect 127.0.0.1) or remotely, your server may appear in the server list (optionally, add +set sv_hostname THE_NAME_YOU_WANT to the shortcut.) by /connect your.internet.IP.address.

Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:03 AM »

Google everything you don't know. I bet there are a lot of server setup guides out there if you look.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:51:58 AM »

"what do you think about that wiki page ?".
I do similar questions, sometimes, after I create new pages, since I do my best when I do it, but I don't know anything and I don't want to give erroneous informations to readers. I didn't start pages like "funny screenshots here"... I'm only trying to help people (and contribute to OpenArena even if not being a mapper/modeler/coder), and I hoped someone wanted to help me...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:42:22 AM by Gig » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 07:19:05 AM »

It's the principle of a wiki: the infos on it is not always correct, can be inadequate, and people can correct it. Readers are also meant to know that and to take their precautions, if they notice some mistakes they will correct it. You don't have to make it perfect since the start, it's collaborative by nature.
Hmm, I didn't want to be harsh and I don't think "only serious topics have their place here". I'm exactly like you: I'm not a developer/maper/modeler, that's why I talk so much Cheesy

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »

Peace and love! Smiley  Wink

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 04:38:21 AM »

when i make the target C:\...\oa_ded.exe and press ok it says its not valid
the target is currently "C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\oa_ded.exe"

also where do i add the +set dedicated stuff? is that when i open oa_ded.exe or what?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 04:49:55 AM »

"C:\...\" was only an example.
Applying the path you told here on the command line provided by Cacatoes, the target of your shortcut should be:

"C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\oa_ded.exe" +set dedicated 2 +map oasago2 +set sv_hostname PWONAGEs_OA_Server
that means: "launch OpenArena dedicated server, make it visible to master server, and load map "osago2", and call this server "POWNAGEs_OA_Server".

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 05:32:18 AM »

how will i know if its working?

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 06:24:18 AM »

You can check with CTRL ALT SUPPR and Task Manager if it's running.
You can try to connect to it.
Good luck.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 07:01:28 AM »

how will i know if its working?
You should see the console (and be able to input commands to change map, etc.). Of course you can try to connect (also from your own machine, launching openarena, if your want, but if you want to be sure that it is reachable from internet, ask a friend of yours to connect).

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 02:57:13 AM »

Ok do i have this straight?

1) open oa_ded.exe
2) in oa_ded (command prompt thing) i type the following commands
    a) +set dedicated 2 and press enter
    b) +map oasago2 and press enter
    c) +set sv_hostname PWNAGEs_server and press enter

3) Now assuming that its all working according to what i understood from the posts i now can open openarena.exe and select "Multiplayer" and my server SHOULD be on the list?

Thanks Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:23 AM »

Correction: "+" is used from Windows command prompt ("<your OA path>\oa_ded.exe" +set variable1 value1 +set variable2 value2 +command1 value3).
If you directly started oa_ded.exe, you just have to type something similar to (obviously use the commands you need!):
variable1 value1 [ENTER]
variabe2 value2 [ENTER]
command1 value3 [ENTER]

Operating system command prompt (console, terminal, call it as you wish) is different from openarena command console.

Recap:
"+" is used for additional options when launching the program from your operating system command line
"\" is used from OpenArena main program command console
no special character before command is used in dedicated server command console.

PS: for a more complex server setup, you could create a configuration file, using the example config you can find DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Servers#Server_config_example]here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:33:31 AM by Gig » Logged

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 04:15:06 AM »

ok now i think its all working but when i goto Multipalyer in OA my server isnt there

EDIT: Do i need a cfg? or what
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:42:48 AM by PWNAGE » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 04:53:26 AM »

A .bat.

If you create an ANSI txt with Notepad, then rename the extension, it'll work.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 05:27:47 AM »

What if you check the "Local" servers ? (in multiplayer).

Can you connect to your server and play by any mean ?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: