Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i make a server?  (Read 84110 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:54 AM »

EDIT: Do i need a cfg? or what

It should work also without a config file.... it should help you to set various options you may want (for example, preparing a map list that automatically changes map, setting timelimit and fraglimit, etc.)

PS: I fixed the hyperlink in my previous post, it was wrong.

If you are on the same machine as the server, you can connect to it even using \connect 127.0.0.1, but only from your machine you can point to that address (127.0.0.1 is called "loopback address" and means "local (same) machine").

I don't know why your server isn't published on master server, maybe it is a firewall problem: before searching it on master server, probably you should check if someone else can connect to it directly, using \connect command (or "specify" option in menu).
If you hold your server up and give your external IP address to us, we could make a try....

Another thing: using oa_ded.exe instead of openarena.exe, "dedicated" value is "read only" (I don't know why they did so): you cannot set it from the OA's console, but you must set it from the OS' command line when you launch the program ("oa_ded.exe" +set dedicated 2)... otherwise it will be set to 1 and your server will not be broadcasted to the master server.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:00:53 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 03:08:18 AM »

What if you check the "Local" servers ? (in multiplayer).

Can you connect to your server and play by any mean ?

Nope Sad it doesn't show up
The first time i ran OA it asked to "Keep Blocking" or "Unblock" something but i pressed "Unblock"

Edit: This is the target in the shortcut ("C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\oa_ded.exe" +set dedicated 2 +map oasago2 +set sv_hostname pwnage0.8.5)

This is what comes up in the console (Command Prompt)
ioq3+oa 1.36_SVN1759M win_mingw-x86 Jan  3 2010
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\OpenArena/baseoa
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\tabd2map01.pk3 (154 fil
es)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\spkdm1.pk3 (101 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\Qydm6.pk3 (13 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\q3map-moses_dm7.pk3 (10
5 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak6-patch085.pk3 (559
files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak6-misc.pk3 (229 file
s)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak5-TA.pk3 (139 files)

C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak4-textures.pk3 (1753
 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak2-players.pk3 (669 f
iles)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak2-players-mature.pk3
 (231 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak1-maps.pk3 (100 file
s)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak0.pk3 (1042 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\map-acid3dm9.pk3 (41 fi
les)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1/baseoa

----------------------
5136 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing q3config_server.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Hostname: 46e83c3ed2984f6
IP: 10.192.62.149
Opening IP socket: 0.0.0.0:27960
------ Server Initialization ------
Server: oasago2
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\OpenArena/baseoa
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\tabd2map01.pk3 (154 fil
es)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\spkdm1.pk3 (101 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\Qydm6.pk3 (13 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\q3map-moses_dm7.pk3 (10
5 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak6-patch085.pk3 (559
files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak6-misc.pk3 (229 file
s)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak5-TA.pk3 (139 files)

C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak4-textures.pk3 (1753
 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak2-players.pk3 (669 f
iles)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak2-players-mature.pk3
 (231 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak1-maps.pk3 (100 file
s)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\pak0.pk3 (1042 files)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1\baseoa\map-acid3dm9.pk3 (41 fi
les)
C:\Program Files\Open Arena\oa081\openarena-0.8.1/baseoa

----------------------
5136 files in pk3 files
Loading vm file vm/qagame.qvm...
...which has vmMagic VM_MAGIC_VER2
Loading 1564 jump table targets
VM file qagame compiled to 1745067 bytes of code
qagame loaded in 3000544 bytes on the hunk
------- Game Initialization -------
gamename: baseoa
gamedate: Jan  3 2010
------------------------------------------------------------
InitGame: \sv_hostname\pwnage0.8.5\sv_floodProtect\1\sv_maxPing\0\sv_minPing\0\s
v_maxRate\0\sv_minRate\0\dmflags\0\fraglimit\25\timelimit\0\sv_maxclients\8\g_ma
xGameClients\0\videoflags\7\capturelimit\5\g_doWarmup\0\g_allowVote\1\g_voteGame
types\/0/1/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/\g_voteMaxTimelimit\0\g_voteMinTimelimit\0\g_v
oteMaxFraglimit\0\g_voteMinFraglimit\0\g_delagHitscan\0\elimination_roundtime\12
0\g_lms_mode\0\version\ioq3+oa 1.36_SVN1759M win_mingw-x86 Jan  3 2010\g_gametyp
e\0\protocol\71\mapname\oasago2\sv_privateClients\0\sv_allowDownload\0\gamename\
baseoa\elimflags\0\voteflags\0\g_needpass\0\g_obeliskRespawnDelay\10\g_enableDus
t\0\g_enableBreath\0\g_rockets\0\g_instantgib\0\g_altExcellent\0
Info: ServerInfo length: 694 of 1024
^3!readconfig: ^7could not open admin config file admin.dat
Sprees/Kills: loaded 1 killing sprees, 0 death sprees, and 0 multikills.
0 teams with 0 entities
16 items registered
-----------------------------------
------- BotLib Initialization -------
loaded weapons.c
loaded items.c
loaded syn.c
loaded rnd.c
loaded match.c
loaded rchat.c
------------ Map Loading ------------
trying to load maps/oasago2.aas
loaded maps/oasago2.aas
found 80 level items
-------------------------------------
24 bots parsed
57 arenas parsed
AAS initialized.
-----------------------------------
Hitch warning: 1125 msec frame time
Resolving dpmaster.deathmask.net (IPv4)
dpmaster.deathmask.net resolved to 64.22.107.125:27950
Sending heartbeat to dpmaster.deathmask.net
Hitch warning: 922 msec frame time
Hitch warning: 906 msec frame time
Hitch warning: 2375 msec frame time
Hitch warning: 875 msec frame time
Hitch warning: 4421 msec frame time

Is there something wrong?

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 03:40:40 AM »

Seems it runs well.

What if you run the game, and type:
Code:
/connect 10.192.62.149

Your server should be listed within dpmaster when it's running ( http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena )

Todo: Walk the cat.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 03:46:15 AM »

It worked when i did that but just to see what happened i added it to my favourites and when i left the server and went to "Multiplayer > Favourites" My one says "No Response" but all my other favourites are there

Edit: It isnt on http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&sort=name either

Edit 2: BTW i change my IP every day so don't try and connect to the IP shown because it would have changed  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:05:35 AM by PWNAGE » Logged

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 07:01:25 AM »

On multiplayer you can only see your server in 'local'.
Try http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=YOURIP (=external IP - whatismyip.com). Else we'll need to know what router you have to forward the ports.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 07:16:06 AM »

Do you mean that the "Internet" game list does ''never'' show a server with your same IP address, even if it is configured with "dedicated 2"? Is it possible that you cannot find it even with Qtracker? Is it possible that you can connect to it manually only using your internal IP instead of your external IP?

Yesterday, I tried to open a server myself -hoping to be able to help Pwnage, later-... I allowed firewall and portforwarding for UDP 27960 win my Bintec router, in the same way it works with other programs, but I wasn't able to connect to my server in any way.

I found a strange thing in this page... for Q3A, it says "port 27960 (+1) - each computer needs their own port.  Increment by one for each person"... what? Is it really this way?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 07:44:18 AM »

Some NAT-routers will not allow this behavior. Others will. I once set up an old debian computer with ipmasq (NAT/PAT-router) and it required an extension to allow this (so does many other things like active FTP). The router might have or not.

I found a strange thing in this page... for Q3A, it says "port 27960 (+1) - each computer needs their own port.  Increment by one for each person"... what? Is it really this way?
This does not matter most of the time. It matters only if you have more than one physical server behind the same NAT-router.

If not specifying a port number an OpenArena server will use the first unused port from 27960. If you host two servers on the same machine the second one gets 27961 automatically. If you specify that it MUST use port 27960 then it will fail to start if it is not available. So if you have only one physical server the ports are assigned automatically.

If you have two servers behind a router it perfectly valid to give let them both use port 27960 but the router can only forward port 27960 to one of them at a time. So now it matters.

"local" will only find servers with ports in range [27960:27963]

A small note: There is a delay from the server shutdown until the port becomes free. So if the server restarts very quickly it might be prevented from taking the same port again and instead going for the next one. However I have not experienced this with OpenArena possible due to a relative long initializing period.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »

Okay.. that "each computer needs their own port - Increment by one for each person" seemed "open an additional port for each client (person) will connect to your server"...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:01:00 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »

Okay.. that "each computer needs their own port - Increment by one for each person" seemed "open an additional port for for each client (person) will connect to your server"...
Yes that "person" was very misleading at least then talking about servers.

For cheap NAT-routers (without PAT) all clients will need a different qport to connect from. That was a problem in earlier versions of ioquake3 because the random generator was not initialized before picking a "random" qport. Even now that way are random conflicts can still occur occasionally but can be solved by restarting OpenArena.

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 03:11:32 AM »

Try http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=YOURIP (=external IP - whatismyip.com). Else we'll need to know what router you have to forward the ports.

It says No Response
Does my firewall need to be completely turned off?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 03:28:40 AM »

It says No Response
Does my firewall need to be completely turned off?
Turning firewalls off is generally a bad idea... you should only do it for a few minutes to determine if the configuration error is there.

Just to make sure:
Are you behind a router?
If so, have you configured it?
Have you allowed incomming UDP connection on the server (Unblock in Windows is rarely enough for UDP because Windows cannot know that you want to allow incomming traffic from all hosts).

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 03:35:07 AM »

Are you behind a router?
If so, have you configured it?
Have you allowed incomming UDP connection on the server (Unblock in Windows is rarely enough for UDP because Windows cannot know that you want to allow incomming traffic from all hosts).

I don't mean to be a pain in the a** but I'm not sure how to check Wink

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 06:19:42 AM »

How do you connect to the internet ?

You very likely have a router, to which your computer connects (through USB/Ethernet/Wifi).
You have to check that router model, because the way to administrate it will depend of this. Usually, you access the router configuration by typing its IP in your web browser, like: http://192.168.0.1 (maybe http://192.168.1.1 ).
Edit: oh, you can try: http://10.192.62.1 (the URL is cut on this forum so clicking won't work)

Once in router administration, you have to redirect ports. 27960 UDP to your computer IP.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 06:43:47 AM »

You might also be connecting directly, likely if your computer is the only machine connected to the Internet in your home. Servers are usually also directly on the net.

The question "How to make a server?" have thousands of right answers (or more) and only one of them is useful for you.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »

caca, usb? I've never seen a router connected via usb Tongue Usb NIC's yes,  ut not a cable to the router for internet. Is this something new or so?

@TS, you may try:
most used defaults, though you could change it to hundreds of other values in the setup.
You can also find it by opening cmd (windowskey+R, type 'cmd' without quotations and press enter), then type inthe dos screen:
ipconfig
and look for an adapter (there'll be several 'ethernet adapter's) with an IP address, subnet mask and default gateway all present with some numbers. You'll need the number which is behind the 'default gateway' (so type that in your browser).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 02:38:50 AM »

I understand, to have a quick scan, it scans a little port range. Right. But this way it can at maximum find four OA server instances for each IP. It may be useful to have cvars to manually change this range, thus you could make it wider if you know that in your LAN there are more OA servers on a single machine, or that they use different ports for some reason. Well, you can however connect to them manually specifing ip:port, but a wider search would be more comfortable.

Do you think you may add such cvars?

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »

Im using a Telstra USB Modem (Australia)
I am moving house soon and im getting proper ADSL i might wait until then and see what i can do
Also none of the links worked i typed "http://192.168.0.1" and i typed "192.168.0.1" (For all 3 I.P's)
There was another one i used a few years ago but idk what it was

@RMF i got this in command prompt (I Blocked out Subnetmask and Default Gateway (For Security) )

This is the modem im using

Hope this helped Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 04:36:14 AM »

An USB UMTS modem? Except for speed, it should be similar than using a 56k... it shouldn't integrate router or firewall features by its own. This means that you should not need "port forwarding" (your IP address probably is not beyond a NAT) and probably only Windows Firewall -or other software firewall, like ones installed with various antivirus... what antivirus do you have?- is preventing you from working. Try to temporarily close any firewall program you have.

A problem may be the modem's control software provided by your ISP. Does it have some "acceleration" feature (may be asked when installing)? If so, try to disable it. Another thing you could try (but it may not work) is to see if you can close (not just minimize) that control program and launch the 3G connection like an old dialup connection, from "network connections" interface of Windows (if such connection has been created). Launching the connection this way will make that ISP control program don't update its internal counters for your traffic/connection time (more risk to get over your monthly quota!), but may avoid some blocks caused by that program.

To check if your firewall is correctly set, why don't you try this tool (with OpenArena and oa_ded closed)?

Anyway, I'm not sure a 3G modem is good enough to act as server... how are your pings when you play on other servers?

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 04:52:51 AM »

Well as i said before im going to wait untill i move and get ADSL. Because the usb modem i have isnt designed for online gaming. my ping is really bad, most of the time its around 400 > 500 (i can only connect to the "Red" servers)

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 04:56:58 AM »

Ok, with the the portchecker what port should i check? 1000? or what also do i select TCP or UDP

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 05:04:11 AM »

I understand, to have a quick scan, it scans a little port range. Right. But this way it can at maximum find four OA server instances for each IP. It may be useful to have cvars to manually change this range, thus you could make it wider if you know that in your LAN there are more OA servers on a single machine, or that they use different ports for some reason. Well, you can however connect to them manually specifing ip:port, but a wider search would be more comfortable.

Do you think you may add such cvars?

Come on, nobody runs 4 servers in a LAN, eventually several machines will have a server running but that's all. LAN is when you meet some friends with your machine and want a quick match, you run the server and here you go. If you have the courage to make several dedicated and well configured servers, then make them available through the internet. If you are tortured enough with this problem so that you seek the internet and read the doc just in order to change a mysterious port-range cvar, then you're no longer going for a quick LAN match either. Don't invent solutions for problems which don't exist, Q3 has been around for 10 years working like this and the way it actually works didn't bother many people.
I'm saying this because these days I see a few fantasy feature requests (I'm myself making some Cheesy), like "help me to make a dedicated server with one click", questions are: is it so worth ? what are the required coding efforts to do that ? It's almost like Sago is alone to produce some code, sometimes I feel like I should just shut up and leave him judge of what can and has to be done Wink It's still good to discuss some features, I just fear there are some priorities.

Feature request: freeze mode !

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 05:06:53 AM »

O....K Huh

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 05:55:37 AM »

Well as i said before im going to wait untill i move and get ADSL. Because the usb modem i have isnt designed for online gaming. my ping is really bad, most of the time its around 400 > 500 (i can only connect to the "Red" servers)

Mobile connections are not good for gaming because of high number of packets loss and because of the high latency : UDP protocol needs the exact opposite characteristics to work ( low or eventually no packet loss , low latency ) because the protocol , due to its nature, doesn't have enough pad to recover lost packets/infos . In few words , a lost UDP packet is lost.

You can check your connection with http://www.speedtest.net/ and/or http://www.pingtest.net/ and discover yourself how many packets are getting lost.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 06:49:24 AM »

If, when you are connecting to a server, get similar pings (using bandwidth for a single user), how did you think to host a server, that needs bandwidth for all other connected players (2, 3, 4, 5...)?
PS: You should be able to connect to "green" or at maximum "yellow" servers... with 400-500 ping it's very difficult to play!

Come on, nobody runs 4 servers in a LAN, eventually several machines will have a server running but that's all. LAN is when you meet some friends with your machine and want a quick match, you run the server and here you go. If you have the courage to make several dedicated and well configured servers, then make them available through the internet.
Not sure about that. A quick match with your 3-4 friends is not the only way you can play locally. Do you know LAN parties? Take a look here.

Years ago I went to a club (a "local", I don't know how to say) some times, like a big internet point which had good machines with several multiplayer games installed, with internal Quake 3 (and other games) servers to play over LAN. I'm not sure, I think those servers were available also from internet, anyway if you played locally you had a ping next to 0. Connecting to your LAN server locally is more advisable than using external IP address (and with some routers/firewalls, simply you cannot connect to your own external IP from the inside of your local network). If you are the administrator of a such business, being able to host more different games (to make happy your local customers that love instagib FFA, those who love CTF, those who like Rune Quake 3, etc, etc.) on a single physical machine is good (If you had a powerful server, you'd like to use its power, don't you? Nowadays servers should be more powerful than in 1999, when Q3A was released). If you think to a similar environment, a limit of four is not bad, but it is not even wonderful. I thought to this case, that I saw some years ago...

questions are: is it so worth ? what are the required coding efforts to do that ?
I don't know. Maybe 15 minutes, maybe two days. I can't say that. Sago or fromhell can. I say my ideas to them... if they think they don't need too much time and/or they could really be useful to someone, they can do them (or put them in a "to do" list, even in a low position). I don't pretend they do things, I just say my suggestions to make OpenArena more complete.

For the specific case, I suppose that adding 2 cvars to change the port scan range used by a single function (multiplayer menu) may be easy, but I don't know.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:07:56 AM by Gig » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2010, 07:22:15 AM »

@Gig,
Right.
* Cacatoes trying to apply less talk more work Tongue

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print