Poll
Question: which fix do you want?
being able to shoot through the "grid"
remove railgun
replace with something else say nailgun,lightning, or hey maybe battlesuit
put a trap similar to tourney6ish_ctf
some sort of hazard on the platform(lava,slime,electricity)
remove platforms and have the railgun suspended
move the platforms behind that base and extend the whole map
moving platforms? (this idea needs work)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: oa_ctf4ish needs balance for campers  (Read 146907 times)
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »

if you can jump out of the lava  Wink but if you are going to have a tiny pit of lava on that thin little platform why not make it something more realistic. (cuz in the cold vacuum of space there aint no lava) so why not make electricity running through the "grid" and say the platform is electrified?

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »

Okay, let's do a "recap" of the various ideas, adding some new ones.

1) - Make the grid parts penetrable by shots. Like in the original Q3CTF4, other players will be able to hit the camper from below (from the flag area). And if the camper uses the grid to fire to that flag area, he will not be able to see other players reaching (and killing) him from the proper jump-pad in the center of the map. Rockets may explode against the edge with the "solid" part of the platform, causing damage to the camper even without direct hit.
2) - Make the two platforms completely of "grids" penetrable by shots. Similar to option 1), but the whole platform would be "transparent". You should see and aim at the camper better, but with rocket launcher you would need a direct hit to damage him
3) - Almost all penetrable grid, with a thin solid border. Like option 2), but with a thin external solid border, that allows rocket explosions.
4) - Grid made by solid material with real holes. Like option 2), but the "grid" will be made by "solid" material with "real" holes: almost any rocket will touch a solid part and thus explode, damaging the player over there.
5) - Place traps on the platforms. One has to be quicker as possible to get the rail and jump down: if someone activates a switch (pushing or shooting at it), the traps will kill who is on the platforms. Traps may simply crush (like q3tourney6), or fire mines from fixed positions, or fire rockets from fixed positions, or open a trapdoor over a lava pool....
6) - Place slime on the plaforms. The camper cannot stay too much time there. It should be impossible or at least difficult to stand on the border of the tub. Slime in open space may be strange?
7) - Place lava on the platforms. The camper has to take the rail and immediately jump down. It should be impossible or at least difficult to stand on the border of the tub. Lava in open space sounds strange.
8) - Electrified platforms. The whole surface of the two platforms should be "electrified", hurting the player, who needs to take the rail and jump down before getting too much damage. Similar to slime (option 6) or lava (option 8), but more "realistic" (if it is possible to say that) for a space map.
9) - Removing platforms. The two railguns will be suspended in the air, like the BFG. The jump-pads will push you to get the weapon and then you will land next to the flag.
10) - Platforms behind flags. The two platforms could be placed, instead of in vertical over the flags, behind them (the whole arena will be a bit longer than now)... in a way that you can get there with the same jump-pads as now, or maybe also with a rocket-jump from the flag. The important thing is that they will be not so high, so the camper would be easily killed!
11) - Moving platforms. If the platform moves continuously up and down, aiming from there should be very difficult, and thus camping there would be not so useful. But we should be sure that the jump-pads don't send you directly out from the map, when the platforms aren't at the usual place.
12) - Different weapon. Replacing Railguns with other weapons less efficient from that position (shotgun, grenade launcher, plasma, lightning gun, nail gun or prox mines).

Did I forget something?
If needed, maybe we could even start a poll with these options, but let's try to talk before that...

I propose option number 1)... and you?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:56:28 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 09:23:31 PM »

I like option 3. the whole being able to shoot through the grid is the best idea imo. But i think that the border should be reduced a bit. and also a fair amount of ideas assume you have access to the rocket launcher. A good camper can easily deny you that! Plus if you had one you could just rocket jump up to them from the jumppads in your base  Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »

Where are gone all the guys?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 05:25:28 AM »

Still here but still without time...
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 06:34:05 AM »

lol still here but i dont know how to alter maps so i cant really do anything Sad plus i hear that fromhell is retiring the map in the next patch so it doesnt really matter

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »

i hear that fromhell is retiring the map in the next patch so it doesnt really matter
I hear "tribute" maps will be wiped out from standard download, too... (I do not agree with that, but if this is the developers' choice...), but they should be available as a separate download package, If I didn't misunderstood. I think it should be better to fix that map before that package comes out (I don't know if they plan to develope further that package).

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »

i wish maps had a more central location. some are fringe maps for a perticular mod but it would be nice if they all were in some place to download instead of random incounts on the servers. and i really like the map suction from like 7.something but it is gone from later releases. can i still get it on 8.5? wait sry ill start a new thread about this. just in case ppl get annoyed yes i have a problem getting off topic in forums, im sry ill do better  Smiley

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »

i hear that fromhell is retiring the map in the next patch so it doesnt really matter
I hear "tribute" maps will be wiped out from standard download, too... (I do not agree with that, but if this is the developers' choice...), but they should be available as a separate download package, If I didn't misunderstood. I think it should be better to fix that map before that package comes out (I don't know if they plan to develope further that package).

Source?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »

Source?

What do you mean? Do you want the map's .map (source) file, to be able to update it yourself?

Or do you want to know the "source" that talked about wiping out tribute maps? He/she (I don't know) is fromhell... :-(
- See here
- and here.
I don't know the details. There may be more threads talking about this, I don't know...

PS: I love some tribute maps, like WRACKDM17....  :-( (I hope at least that it may be substituted by a map with different aspect/shape but similar idea: a small, "open" map, where you can both kill and being killed at every moment: a small and open map is very useful when testing something (for example, a mod, or any game option)...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:36:14 AM by Gig » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »

They will be available as a separate addon.

Check the svn. packs/tribute.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »

Thank you for your quick reply.
I checked svn and oa_ctf4ish is in this tribute folder.
No need to modify this map anymore Grin
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »

i wish maps had a more central location. some are fringe maps for a perticular mod but it would be nice if they all were in some place to download instead of random incounts on the servers. and i really like the map suction from like 7.something but it is gone from later releases. can i still get it on 8.5? wait sry ill start a new thread about this. just in case ppl get annoyed yes i have a problem getting off topic in forums, im sry ill do better  Smiley
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2424.0

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »

No need to modify this map anymore Grin

Why? It is in tribute folder... but it WILL BE downloadable (inside a separate package - "tribute pack" or similar, but still downloadable). Since many players like tribute maps, if the additional link will be visible enough when downloading OpenArena many people will download that pack.
I think this is the right moment to FIX that map bugs, before releasing the next OA version and the new map-pack.

Please, everybody, don't quit now. Let's select together one of the solutions above, and a good mapper should be able to apply that solution with little effort.

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 10:57:35 AM »

we now have a poll

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »

From the next version there will be two things the server admin can do about it:

"set replace_weapon_railgun weapon_bfg" - Replaces the railgun with a BFG: No more railing.
"g_spawnprotect 100000" - players take no damage the first 100 seconds after respawn.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »

Interesting, I hope any items would be replaceable, so that it can be replaced for instance by a ... duck.
There was already disable railgun option.

I wouldn't consider having a long spawn protection be a solution for this map, still that cvar may have some other use.

For sure, ROFL servers will all have the tribute pack. I would have prefered to stick to baseoa and no download, but except abandonning that tribute pack idea I see no other solution.

Todo: Walk the cat.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 01:28:09 PM »

Interesting, I hope any items would be replaceable, so that it can be replaced for instance by a ... duck.
There was already disable railgun option.
Like the disable option you can make your own server crash if you replace all the spawnpoints by something else. It also have some undesired effects on objectives but that is the price to pay.

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

I really and  cannot stress this enough I think replacing the rail with the BFG option is a very very bad idea because then it will just be camping and a BFG spamfest at least with the rail it requires good aim but with the BFG it’s just spam the whole area until something dies.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 02:19:05 PM »

Like the disable option you can make your own server crash if you replace all the spawnpoints by something else.

True, but items can be replaced with spawnpoints too ( http://forums.noghost.net/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=1996;hl=add+and+spawn )
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »

True, but items can be replaced with spawnpoints too ( http://forums.noghost.net/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=1996;hl=add+and+spawn )
I am not sure that my replace-function works exactly like the noghost implementation. It sounded smart, so I implemented it but it does only replace the item, sometimes the entity has other properties like the triggers and location items that are not fully connected to an item.

Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »

why would you replace the railgun with a bfg? there is already one on the map and it is already abused enough dont make one more accessable! why not replace it with a nailgun or chaingun or proxy mine or lightning? or as i suggested in my poll why not battlesuit? its the most underused powerup in the game.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 06:27:57 AM »

I guess the "rail -> bfg" was just an example.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »

Hehehe,

imagine ctf2 with bfg only when you like to play insta...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2010, 05:04:08 AM »

Hello everybody. I think we should fix also the BFG platform. It is made with a "grid" that projectiles don't penetrate. In Quake 3 Arena, instead, in Q3CTF4, that plaform has a "solid" part and a grid that shots can pass through, as you can see in the screenshot.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: