Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Team factions brainstorm  (Read 14007 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: May 28, 2010, 01:33:27 AM »

You know missionpack's team system?

I have a hard time coming up with something more than 'futuristic high-tech team' and i don't want to mock q3ta or ut2004 teams.

remember, these teams are nothing more than skins for male/female body figures, the head shouldn't be affected.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:09:24 AM »

As unoriginal as they are, cyborgs are still kinda cool...

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:
GT (genetic trash) - A bunch of disfigured mutants
Gamma - Dimly glowing radioactive warriors. Cool use of shaders.
The Civilians - Like an office worker and a person in pyjamas, etc
The Ancients - Mystical warriors with symbols on their bodies

or members of a cult?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:28:52 AM by chaoticsoldier » Logged

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:19:14 AM »

How about NATO-blue soldiers versus Soviet-red soldiers?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
AmDDRed
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »

Hello!

What about making more than 2 teams? I mean not only factions, but also - to play against several teams: red vs. blue vs. green vs. yellow, for example. About 4 or 8 team limit - customizable thing, the colors may be preprogrammed )

Of course, if you search for compatibility with q3a - you can leave old team-based modes naming them as "Classic TDM", "Classic CTF" - etc.
On the other hand, for more than 2 teams CTF game there shoud be done special maps... Or versions of Classic CTF maps.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:28:43 AM »

I don't know well how TA worked.
Pagans and stroggs ... I only found a few infos about it.
http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake_3_Team_Arena

Does it mean there should be a plan to make several categories for models ?
Soldiers vs Mutants ? ... it's a bit basic.

Slightly off-topic:
There has been a few topics lately (mainly ones AmDDred answered) which made me think again about something: should there be an effort to dress an OpenArena universe ? It would be tied to the art direction, and art direction would be tied to it. My frustration talks a bit too since there are many things I like in Quake-series or in games and art in general, and while goal is not to imitate Q3 I believe some could fit OA, but never really digged into it. Also, current artists (who are unfortunately very few) may not be the ones which were into OA since the start of the project and may have not been able to express their views. I didn't pay much attention to the Single Player campaign but should have since it's also a background for the rest of the game. Maybe there are some other topics/wiki pages about it I missed or forgot.

@AmDDred, can you point me to games where there are more than 2 teams ? I thought Nexuiz/Xonotic could have but haven't checked it.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:30:17 AM »

Double-post.

Todo: Walk the cat.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:45:40 AM »

@AmDDred, can you point me to games where there are more than 2 teams ? I thought Nexuiz/Xonotic could have but haven't checked it.

here's a mod that i think died. three team ctf for quake 3: tribal ctf. here's a more recent post about it.

never tried it though.
AmDDRed
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »

Slightly off-topic:
There has been a few topics lately (mainly ones AmDDred answered) which made me think again about something: should there be an effort to dress an OpenArena universe ?
I guess, as the main part of the mappers do the quake-styled maps, one way or another, OA should be close to it. It's the 1st variant.
The 2nd is that OA could make light or heavy changes in this style for itself. But as the way, where OA should go, is not marked, no one knows what to do )
At least, OA must be original )))

Well, I really don't if there is such FPS. But I know that strategies (RTS/TBS) use this multi-teaming without problems )
And I always wanted to play such mode - 2 sides are very classic, since chess were invented this type of playing is used. But it would be fun to have deathmatch with teams - for example, two players from one clan vs. other vs. everybody else. Or simply I don't want to join blue or red, I want my own one man army...
Besides, it could be a good base for a one more game mode - kill the boss )) Three teams - blue, red and green; green consists of one man who has all the power-ups (except flying) and all the weapons with indefinite ammo. Blue and Reds must kill him - clear fun for green, flags for R&B )

We can make a revolution )))
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »

Unreal Tournament, the first game, allowed 3-way and 4-way Team Deathmatches and Domination matches.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:41:05 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »

Team Fortress supported 4 teams: red, blue, yellow and green.
Was fun to play on designed maps.
But most of them just supported 2 teams.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »

However the 3/4 teams is not the point of this topic. This topic is about something completely different.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »

I think that in DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Team_Arena]Team Arena the teams are only different "stocks" of bots... before you begin a match, you select the bot team you will meet (teams are called Strogg, Pagans, Intruders, The Fallen and The Crusaders), thus changing the enemy bots you will see. But I played it too few to understand if they have also some other use/feature. I suppose that only two teams will appear in a match at the same time (your team and one of the five bots teams).

About games with more than two teams... there is something in the Wikipedia page about Rocket Arena: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Arena
Rocket Arena has been implemented for various games, and to play Clan Arena I was used to use the OSP mod, instead of the Rocket Arena 3 mod... thus I don't know if all those senteces are applied to the Quake 3 mod "Rocket Arena 3", or some refer to other versions.
Anyway, if I understand correcly, that wikipedia page says that the "Standard OpenArena" mode is like the "Clan Arena" mode (similar to our "Elimination" mode), but with the difference that there are more than 2 teams on the server. Only two of them fight at the same time: the winning team remains, and the loser goes to the end of the queue. From what I understand, it is a mix of "Clan Arena" (Elimination) and "Tournament" modes...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: