Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: removing of skins  (Read 5445 times)
faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 28, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »

Because I have so lousy eyes, I removed the dark neko skin out of the player-mature.pk3. So on pure servers all mature model are replaced by the default sarge skin (on not pure servers only the neko model is replaced by angelys).

Which is of course sad as I miss the other models too. :-(

So I was wondering, if it would be possible to dedicate each model an own .pk3 in future OA versions?
Then it would be possible deactivate models selective.

PS:
Please don't suggest /forcemodel, its even worse as it makes it harder to identify specific (i.e. good) players fast.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »

It's late and I'm not sure I understand everything in how .pk3s and files are dealt, but:
- I thought the best option you had was to CREATE some .pk3 with the skins you want to replace. You'd then be able to use them on unpure servers.
- Purpose of a pure server is to have identical files used for client and server, so you shouldn't ever be able to bypass that. If you modify your main pk3 files: you'll be ejected. If you add custom .pk3s: they won't be loaded.

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

If I seperated each model as their own pk3, i'll easily run into the pk3 loading limits too soon for those with lots of addons.

You can make an override "z" pk3 with broken icon or skin files to disable skins.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »

It's late and I'm not sure I understand everything in how .pk3s and files are dealt, but:
- I thought the best option you had was to CREATE some .pk3 with the skins you want to replace. You'd then be able to use them on unpure servers.
- Purpose of a pure server is to have identical files used for client and server, so you shouldn't ever be able to bypass that. If you modify your main pk3 files: you'll be ejected. If you add custom .pk3s: they won't be loaded.

If I seperated each model as their own pk3, i'll easily run into the pk3 loading limits too soon for those with lots of addons.

You can make an override "z" pk3 with broken icon or skin files to disable skins.

Thankfully I wasn't rejected from any pure servers so far, after all its only a skin pk3. Seems the server "intelligence" is smart enough to different skin pk3s from other important pk3s (e.g. pak0.pk3).

The workaround you both suggest would only work on unpure servers, on pure servers I would still see the neko skin.
So I think I will just stick to my workaround.  Tongue

But thanks anyways. :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: