Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Idea]Survival Gamemode  (Read 8471 times)
riwa
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

1337 h4xx0r

« on: August 17, 2010, 06:13:30 AM »

Hi. Back in ut3, we had a gamemod called Survival. It was really a mutator to the duel gametype, but in OA I guess it should be implemented as a mod.

The idea is simple.

[Normal 1v1]

2 players battle while rest of players spec. Real fun and classic.

[survival]

2 players battle. When one of them dies they end up at the end of queue. So instead of waiting one whole game, you just wait a frag (or couple).

Sure this eliminates the idea behind 1v1 (itemcontrol, spawnkill etc), but it brings a new aspect to the game. It becomes more easily accessible to newbies.

Also in this gamemod, strong powerups shouldnt be available. So either remove MH and RA, or replace them with "lighter" stuff (YA, YHP, Armor shards).
A 0.5-1 sec spawn immortality wouldnt be nice as well.

I dont know how to write a mod, so I just posted this here, if someone is interested. I would be glad to help but not create the mod all by me onesies, savvy?

Seems like a good idea?

Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!

....Am I right, Marines?
....Damn right I am!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »

It could be a nice idea.
Maybe the risk is that someone gets in the match, facing an already full-armed enemy and quickly obliterated... but this risk is, at least in part, also of the "standard" 1vs1...
Anyway, a solution for this could be adding the DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options#Elimination_features_outside_Elimination_mode]g_elimination[/url][/b] feature to the menu, to make more easy to the people to know it exists!

Uhm... Wait a moment!

I just realized a thing: something quite similar to what you want is already possible, without the need of a mod!

g_gametype 1 // Tournament mode
fraglimit 1 // The opponent will change after every kill
g_warmup 3 // Since each match is quick, I suppose the warmup time can be lower than usual (default is 20)
g_elimination  0 // Decide yourself if you want it on or off. Using a single frag for each match, it is not needed (but can be nice anyway).

Do you think this could be enough, for you?

To remove items, you can simply use the g_elimination feature, or manually disable specific items using the "disable_" hidden variables (that prevent specific items from spawning over their spawning points).
I don't know if "hidden" is the right word, but they are variables that seem not available in the game (if you write "disable_" and press TAB key, you don't find them), unless you manually create them with "set" or "seta" command (for example, seta disable_item_armor_combat "1" to disable the red armor, and seta disable_item_armor_combat "0" to enable it back). A list of (I suppose, currently, as OA 0.8.5) available items to disable is here.
I believe in a next version of OpenArena there will be also a "replace" function, to choose to replace an item with another.

And since the players begin each match (round) with the same arsenal, there is no need for a spawn protection.

Obviously, if what you wanted was to have the leading player to keep his armor and weapons (thus, the advantage gained) from a duel to the next, this system is not exactly what you needed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:19:28 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
MyLittlePwny
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »

Maybe a single-player Survival mode like in Tekken 3?

You VS one CPU opponent, health powerups disabled but you get a slight heal when you kill the CPU opponent, when you kill the CPU opponent a new CPU opponent spawns, when you die it's Game Over?

(The objective being to see how many kills you can rack up before you die.)
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »

Maybe a single-player Survival mode like in Tekken 3?

You VS one CPU opponent, health powerups disabled but you get a slight heal when you kill the CPU opponent, when you kill the CPU opponent a new CPU opponent spawns, when you die it's Game Over?

(The objective being to see how many kills you can rack up before you die.)

Sounds good.

I would add these things:
- all have the weapons at begin, no items at all in the map
- the damaged player who won the round (1frag) gets immediately health till he is on 100 health (he will have advantages to the newcomer because he is warmed up and is waiting only for the enemy respawn)
- the new coming player from spectate has normal 125 health at begin
MyLittlePwny
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »

Sounds good.

I would add these things:
- all have the weapons at begin, no items at all in the map
- the damaged player who won the round (1frag) gets immediately health till he is on 100 health (he will have advantages to the newcomer because he is warmed up and is waiting only for the enemy respawn)
- the new coming player from spectate has normal 125 health at begin

Looks like you're thinking of a multiplayer approach, I was thinking single-player really.

More along the lines of one continuous round (infinite kill limit, infinite time limit), spawning a random CPU opponent (AKA "bot") each time you kill one, and ending the round when the player dies. (While Tekken 3 does use rounds for survival, it was never designed to spawn players in the middle of a match, either.)

Being one continuous round, you need either ammo powerups or a slow ammo regen, or else you eventually end up facing a full-health, fully-armed bot with only the gauntlet. Not very helpful.

And the small health boost with each kill is still probably the best way to do it in single-player. (They will wear you down, hence "survival", without overly penalizing you for the occasional mistake - you CAN recover from one or two big mistakes, if you try.) Works surprisingly well for things such as Tekken 3, at least.

Rounds 3+ of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmv1qEh23D8 show the general health mechanic I'm thinking of, to some extent. Notice how the bots wear him down eventually even with the health boost between opponents?

(Your ideas do make sense for a multi-player version, though. ^_^)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:59:15 PM »

Just to inform you... I wrote about my simple "quick tournament" idea DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Configuration_examples/Quick_tournament]here. If you want to try that configuration...
Bye!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: