Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A bugzilla site?  (Read 11537 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: September 27, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

Hi guys.
After writing a post about a visual bug here (about the railgun trace/spiral at high distances), I thought to submit it to the ioquake3 guys, too, because it is not openarena-specific, but comes from the original quake 3.

Instead of registering on their forum, to write about an ioquake3 bug one has to register to http://bugzilla.icculus.org/
and then create a bug report. Using this "bugzilla site" method, instead of the forum, may help tracing the open and closed bugs... what about doing something similar for OpenArena, too?

Tha icculus.org bugzilla site holds sections related to other products, like NetRadiant and some ports for various games, like Logaru. Maybe they may host one for OpenArena?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »

That bug has more to do with cgame local entity limits

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:35:02 AM »

Why yes: because these managers are always cool for opensource projects.
Why not: because OpenArena relies since its start on a website with very limited access, which seems short enough in resources so it couldn't host decent development softwares, and because it's uncomfortable to spread means everywhere to deal with the project even if this is what finally occurs because there is no way to do otherwise.

I'd vote to find a decent host, and migrating every of these useful services which actually rely on heavily adwared wikia and google's big brother crapness.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »

I'd vote to find a decent host, and migrating every of these useful services which actually rely on heavily adwared wikia and google's big brother crapness.

F1

But there was a discussion like this before and fromhell looked at making the SVN a multi-access capable. Google Code is not a big deal, but Wikia's ads bother me too.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »

IMHO I would say no to the change of hosting for the Wiki site.
I know that Wikia is not perfect, but it's a well-known host, and I suppose their systems should be constantly updated and backupped. Their ads are a bit annoying, but you can use an Adblock plugin to to not see them.
Many pages have already been written and formatted on Wikia, and images have been uploaded there... why should we screw up things?

I simply wanted to propose an additional service, a bugzilla to keep trace of open and closed bugs...

----------------------
https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/addon/1865/ Adblock Plus for Mozilla Firefox
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=it Adblock for Google Chrome
http://adblockie.codeplex.com/ Adblock IE for Internet Explorer 8
http://simple-adblock.com/ Simple Adblock for IE 6, 7 and 8
http://operawiki.info/OperaAdblock Opera seems to have an Adblock feature included.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »

If there is a possibility to export the database then nothing is lost. The less a project depends on a firm's policy the better, and we could in particular expect this approach inside free software projects. Also remember, the wiki software is mediawiki, it's not free for nothing (otherwise we'd subscribe to any proprietary wiki service and consider it's all good).

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 03:11:33 PM »

I don't know if there is a way to export the whole database (including the images!) from a Wika site. Anyway, there are tons of work to do on OpenArena: new maps, new textures, new shaders... DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bugs]dozens of bugs to solve... Fromhell, Sago and the others have much to do with OpenArena... I don't think spending much time and money for a new hosting/server/housing is needed only because Wikia has got some ads here and there...

The forum posts contain various links to the URLs of the pages on Wikia, and vice-versa. Changing the forum software or the Wiki site would break many links!

And, let's say this... if we would have a very active Wiki site, with many active users and some active administrators, maybe a private, standalone site could be nice... but there are very few active contributors there! Who whould maintain it? More, I think that Wikia is free of charge, right? Server housing in server factories costs money! Who would pay?
I don't know how much Fromhell (or who) is currently paying each year for the main site and this forum...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »

Doesn't this work?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:10:05 AM »

@fromhell,
Seems it works except it only relates to OAX and not the whole project, that may be a bit confusing to use it for other purposes.

@Gig
Oh please Gig don't be so conservative with your baby wiki, if there is no export function then all these wikis using Wikia service should instantly die (humour). Data collected are not meant to be wikia's property. There is an DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Special:Export]export function (which even keeps history) but it seems tedious to use.

Also remember the forum is not a wiki and it's not meant to be that up-to-date, updates are incremental when needed (one posts after the older infos, like what you see when someone posts "someone still having a link for that video/map ?"), and if there are really important links, they should already be stickied and it's not a big deal to change links inside a few posts.

I didn't talk about money but I'm not sure you're familiar yet with how a free software project can nowadays find host. If there is no generous server administrator around, you can still find some free ones which specialize in free softwares, sometimes belonging to firms, sometimes belonging to smaller teams. Of course one could pay for it and eventually have a donation system but it's better if it is avoided.

Migrations like these are usually worth the effort, and not a big one for an experienced IT guy.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:18:59 AM »

Quote from: Fromhell
Doesn't this work?
I will try it.  Smiley

@fromhell,
Seems it works except it only relates to OAX and not the whole project, that may be a bit confusing to use it for other purposes.
I was thinking the same thing as Cacatoes... that the need to track bugs is not only related to the OAX, but also to the executable, the models, the maps...
Should we use that system for all these problems?

Quote from: Cacatoes
I'm not sure you're familiar yet with how a free software project can nowadays find host
You're right. I'm not familiar with this. If you know some good host to propose... Anyway, I suggest to focus on other important things, like fixing the bugs...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: